Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11974 11975 [11976] 11977 11978 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15832701 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: [Sasaug] Orin and okuus confusing sausage factory. (Happy thread)
« Reply #179625 on: January 29, 2017, 01:39:59 pm »

Today in (high school senior) programming class, we went over so-called 'netiquette'
Teacher said the one of the important things to not do was post in supersize letters, all caps, etc
Why do schools insist on making a mockery out of informatics/IT? It shouldn't be about fuckin' "netiquette" or whatever senile concept some clueless fart somewhere considered necessary. It should be the beginnings of system architecture, an introduction to algorithms, and some programming assignments in a halfway sensible language, not... "netiquette". Whatever the hell that even is.

What is it?
It's based on a relatively less well-known machine learning method that I've found recently, something like a decision tree, but with intersections between branches. They use a very complicated method to construct their "decision jungle", but I've thought of a much simpler version that would, hopefully, retain the beneficial properties of such system. Hopefully.
That sounds publishable af, honestly. Try a basic implementation; sample datasets for testing can be found here, or here, or on Kaggle. If that's what you meant by "nothing to test it on".
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #179626 on: January 29, 2017, 01:56:22 pm »

Yeah, netiquette is a bit outdated and not really worth spending too much time on. It can be summarized in a single sentence: "Don't be a dick." If that's a no-brainer to you, then it needs no further attention. If it doesn't feel like a no-brainer, you're going to need something more than a list of rules, and that something oughtn't be taught in a class on IT.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #179627 on: January 29, 2017, 02:08:58 pm »

What is it?
It's based on a relatively less well-known machine learning method that I've found recently, something like a decision tree, but with intersections between branches. They use a very complicated method to construct their "decision jungle", but I've thought of a much simpler version that would, hopefully, retain the beneficial properties of such system. Hopefully.
That sounds publishable af, honestly. Try a basic implementation; sample datasets for testing can be found here, or here, or on Kaggle. If that's what you meant by "nothing to test it on".
Well, it sounds cool, but so was the last 20 or so times when I thought "this looks cool" and it turned out that I've either invented a bicycle or it just plain didn't work out in practical implementation upon further consideration. So I'll remain sceptical.

Also yeah that's what I've meant. I know that there is a lot of stuff like that in R, too. The problem is, writing the algorithm out in R would be a task full of pain. Local implementations of decision trees are weird looking monsters that rely heavily on external .cpp code, so I can't really use them as a base. Hell, I only wrote it in Warcraft 3, and only for a very, very specific reinforcement learning purpose.

Also x 2 combob, I really doubt that anyone would publish an article on machine learning from a "material science and technology of materials" person, kek.
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179628 on: January 29, 2017, 03:07:25 pm »

What is it?
Well, it sounds cool, but so was the last 20 or so times when I thought "this looks cool" and it turned out that I've either invented a bicycle or it just plain didn't work out in practical implementation upon further consideration. So I'll remain sceptical.

Also yeah that's what I've meant. I know that there is a lot of stuff like that in R, too. The problem is, writing the algorithm out in R would be a task full of pain. Local implementations of decision trees are weird looking monsters that rely heavily on external .cpp code, so I can't really use them as a base. Hell, I only wrote it in Warcraft 3, and only for a very, very specific reinforcement learning purpose.

Also x 2 combob, I really doubt that anyone would publish an article on machine learning from a "material science and technology of materials" person, kek.
Well, you can always submit your thesis for whatever conference is next, and see where it goes from there? Not like there are formal background requirements for that stuff.

I will continue recommending Python for its dataset/table library (Pandas), and the usefulness of the scikit-learn data preprocessing tools, even if you are making your own classifier from scratch. From there the task is sort of the same as in R, just less of a pain in the ass, cause, well, R. It does have a lot of datasets included with it, but that's probably not a good enough reason to choose it over other things.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #179629 on: January 29, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »

R code doesn't require compiling, though, which makes it significantly faster for testing things out. And god knows, anything I write require looooots of testing before it starts to even just imitate working correctly.
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179630 on: January 29, 2017, 03:48:09 pm »

R code doesn't require compiling, though, which makes it significantly faster for testing things out. And god knows, anything I write require looooots of testing before it starts to even just imitate working correctly.
Eh, neither does Python... and my experience with compiled languages is limited to C#, which might not be a typical case because managed code and all that jazz, but I've never had a problem with debugging/testing compared to Python, and the build time is usually negligible unless you're building something dreadfully huge, which you probably aren't going to be, right?

I think you should just Shia LeBeouf it, with whatever tools. If you have the time/wish to do it, that is? You never know, it might turn out to be one of those "simplicity of genius" things. But no pressure? Hell, I dunno if I have the ability to exert pressure of any sort on you, but no pressuring is intended either way.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179631 on: January 29, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »

I took a selfie for the first time in my life. I've started growing a beard, and want to chronicle my adventure for future generations.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179632 on: January 29, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »

Well how long are you thinking it would take to compile?

But seriously go for it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #179633 on: January 30, 2017, 02:18:44 am »

New Pandyland today. It was sadly a Skip Tobey comic, and not a very funny one at that, but all my webcomics have updated recently (relative to their own schedules) and been confirmed alive. except Prequel haha
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179634 on: January 30, 2017, 08:52:14 am »

Yolk was still runny
I honestly don't understand why people cook their eggs like that. In my experience, it only leads to half the yolk dripping onto the plate and the rest having a bland taste and terrible texture.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #179635 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:39 am »

It's better with toast, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179636 on: January 30, 2017, 09:41:47 am »

Runny yolk is the best yolk.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #179637 on: January 30, 2017, 09:42:46 am »

I took a selfie for the first time in my life. I've started growing a beard, and want to chronicle my adventure for future generations.

Post it!
Love, scriver~

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179638 on: January 30, 2017, 09:47:08 am »

Post it!
Yeah, I mean, we have a photo share thread for a reason, right?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #179639 on: January 30, 2017, 09:47:22 am »

Twist it! Bop it!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 11974 11975 [11976] 11977 11978 ... 13326