Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11916 11917 [11918] 11919 11920 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15807743 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [GOOD JOKE?] Find pants elevator! (Happy thread)
« Reply #178755 on: December 11, 2016, 04:00:50 pm »

This conversation is making me want to correct EVERYTHING. But I won't.
I will state that if a meteorite were to somehow bust its way into a cave, the presence of any features that it might have landed on would be too difficult to discern, so you wouldn't have terminology to describe that. I suspect that most professionals would first declare "yup, its all fucked up. This is going to be fun"

I am soon to town and shower. Will be warm and comfy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:04:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178756 on: December 11, 2016, 04:29:45 pm »

Ah, finished pounding out my finals. Six more credit hours until I have my Master's and can fuck off from universities forever.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #178757 on: December 11, 2016, 04:37:51 pm »

Congratulations!

How much of debt? :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #178758 on: December 11, 2016, 04:47:30 pm »

Given I'm thinking of doing a Masters, how did you fund it in the first place?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #178759 on: December 11, 2016, 05:20:05 pm »

By being wealthier and smarter than the rest of us in the first place and getting a scholarship and free money. And not failing the same math classes repeatedly (Like me)

I'm just glad this semester is over. When I have a job and stable living situation, and some money saved up, maybe I can go back and finish this fucking math class and move on. I must be retarded or something LOGARITHMS AND TRIGONOMETRY ARE BULLSHIT
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #178760 on: December 11, 2016, 05:21:30 pm »

I must be retarded or something LOGARITHMS AND TRIGONOMETRY ARE BULLSHIT

Word Number, brother.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #178761 on: December 11, 2016, 05:21:53 pm »

YES THEY ARE
ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR TEACHER GLOSSES OVER THEM DESPITE BEING MAJOR PARTS OF STATE TESTS

((Seriously, my Algebra 2 / Trig teacher was *awful*. As in, literally had his teaching license revoked for incompetence, awful. And that is hard to do in the American education system.)
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178762 on: December 11, 2016, 05:23:32 pm »

Logarithms are a tool invented to turn multiplication into addition using massive printed look-up-tables in the days before calculators existed. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #178763 on: December 11, 2016, 05:26:06 pm »

I must be retarded or something LOGARITHMS AND TRIGONOMETRY ARE BULLSHIT

Word Number, brother.
DERIVATIVES ARE ALSO BULLSHIT
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178764 on: December 11, 2016, 06:17:46 pm »

Oh man I'm sorry but derivatives and integrals make me really happy.  The way rates of increase/decrease interact...  IDK maybe I've been playing too much KSP, but I also liked how something so mind-boggling could be calculated with simple individual steps.
Though e and logarithms always tripped me up...

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #178765 on: December 11, 2016, 06:24:17 pm »

Oh man I'm sorry but derivatives and integrals make me really happy.  The way rates of increase/decrease interact...  IDK maybe I've been playing too much KSP, but I also liked how something so mind-boggling could be calculated with simple individual steps.
Though e and logarithms always tripped me up...

Okay. You'd better have a damn good reason to say simple steps.
/incrediblyconfused
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178766 on: December 11, 2016, 06:38:58 pm »

It's been a while, but if I recall correctly...  You mostly just take each factor like "5x^3", multiply it by the exponent, and decrement the exponent.  So "5x^3" becomes "15x^2".  That's pretty simple, though sometimes you have to do it a lot or organize the equation first.

If there isn't an x, it disappears...  because there's effectively an x^0 (aka, 1).  So you multiply by that exponent, 0, and it disappears!  So "5x^3 + 20000" becomes "15x^2" because that 20000 doesn't matter to the derivative, aka the slope.

And it's so cool because then you have a function for the slope at any point.  Which means you can solve it for 0 and you'll get all the points where the original function was flat or asymptotic!

So, two simple steps (multiply by exponent, decrement expontent) describes a really neat and complicated thing.  BUT if the x is in a sin or log or something, I don't remember what happens because there were weird rules for all that trig BS :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178767 on: December 11, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »

Congratulations!

How much of debt? :P
More than I'd like, less than I feared. I'll get out with <$20k owed, so that's something.

Given I'm thinking of doing a Masters, how did you fund it in the first place?
Start working summers and saving at sixteen. During your undergrad years continue to work full-time in summers and at least part-time during the semester. During your graduate work keep working on the same pattern. If you're stretching it out to half-time semesters you can work full-time pretty easily, though that's worse financially than the opposite, doing 9-12h semesters and working half-time, assuming you're running on student loans.

Basically I burned through my savings avoiding debt from my Bachelor's and am able to pay off a couple thousand from each semester's debt with each semester's work. I'm lucky, too; my folks were willing to rent to me for relatively low rates. If I were trying to make rent I'd be lucky just to keep the interest from accumulating while I'm still in school and capitalizing when I graduate. Probably would need to murder myself with full-time or more work on top of my studies.

But yeah. Save every red cent you can. Get as much scholarship money as you can in your undergraduate years 'cause you sure as hell aren't getting any for a Master's. If you have family willing to rent a room to you for good rates jump on that shit (but seriously, don't leech, GTFO as soon as you can lock down a real job with your degree). Make as many payments as you can on the principles of your loans while still paying off the interest as it accumulates. Minimize unnecessary expenses as much as possible without killing yourself. Take as much coursework as you can; full-time at most places will cost the same regardless of how many classes above the minimum you take.

And don't fuck yourself. Don't try to take 15 hours of graduate courses and work full-time unless you're willing to do nothing but work, study, and on rare occasions sleep, for months on end. If you spend too much time and energy working you'll fuck up your performance in classes and your information retention. My personal edge of comfort was 12h and half-time work, any further beyond that and I felt like I'd start slipping. Try to find that point for yourself.

But yeah, unless you're already wealthy you're not getting graduate or post-graduate degrees without a bunch of student loan debt. Your job is to milk as much value as possible out of the courses while minimizing the time you spend in the program and paying off as much as possible before graduation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #178768 on: December 11, 2016, 08:23:08 pm »

It's been a while, but if I recall correctly...  You mostly just take each factor like "5x^3", multiply it by the exponent, and decrement the exponent.  So "5x^3" becomes "15x^2".  That's pretty simple, though sometimes you have to do it a lot or organize the equation first.

If there isn't an x, it disappears...  because there's effectively an x^0 (aka, 1).  So you multiply by that exponent, 0, and it disappears!  So "5x^3 + 20000" becomes "15x^2" because that 20000 doesn't matter to the derivative, aka the slope.

And it's so cool because then you have a function for the slope at any point.  Which means you can solve it for 0 and you'll get all the points where the original function was flat or asymptotic!

So, two simple steps (multiply by exponent, decrement expontent) describes a really neat and complicated thing.  BUT if the x is in a sin or log or something, I don't remember what happens because there were weird rules for all that trig BS :P

That's just the shortcut for polynomial derivatives and antiderivatives, though... non-polynomial equations are different.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #178769 on: December 11, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »

Ah, finished pounding out my finals. Six more credit hours until I have my Master's and can fuck off from universities forever.
What field is it in?
Pages: 1 ... 11916 11917 [11918] 11919 11920 ... 13326