Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11686 11687 [11688] 11689 11690 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15777997 times)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [TURBOAWOO] That one time Inubashiri Momiji committed mass murder (Happy thread)
« Reply #175305 on: September 08, 2016, 02:19:43 pm »

Madness shrivels away in the light, and being open to other human beings gets you out of the nightmare realm that your mind persistently inhabits. It's a wonderful thing, socialization. Especially if you're the kind of person who skirts the edge of an event horizon of self loathing and fear.
True facts. *sage nod*

Good on you, mate!
@Shook:Yay, go you!
Thanks! Also, in measured doses, i might add. Socializing within my capacity is both fun and helpful to me, while socializing beyond that is just tiring and i'll probably be wanting to shut myself in a locked room with soundproofing. Thankfully people generally respect that and let me retract when i need to. :v

Yeah, a lot of people are like that, it's the difference between extroverts and introverts.  Extroverts get energized from being around others, introverts get energized being alone.  It's why some people can party every day and others think they're crazy.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: [TURBOAWOO] That one time Inubashiri Momiji committed mass murder (Happy thread)
« Reply #175306 on: September 08, 2016, 02:23:07 pm »

Huh, depending on context both are true for me. Goes to show that this kind of introversion-extraversion model is kinda bullshit :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #175307 on: September 08, 2016, 02:26:54 pm »

I got to quietly laugh at the new ninth graders today. Goodness, the outfits I've seen today... If only they could learn to use a fucking public hallway.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #175308 on: September 08, 2016, 02:40:48 pm »

Huh, depending on context both are true for me. Goes to show that this kind of introversion-extraversion model is kinda bullshit :P
Ambivert.

:U

I say that solely to annoy you because i remember that you've been rambling about intro-/extroversion before, and were seemingly slightly miffed that i insisted on calling myself an introvert and/or referred to it as a sliding scale.

;D
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #175309 on: September 08, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »

I think people aren't set on the scale, too. Introverts have their extrovert moments, and vice versa.

It's -vert fluid, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175310 on: September 08, 2016, 02:51:05 pm »

also woo song evening

I didn't expect to find myself enjoying singing, but apparently i do. It's clearly not something my vocal chords are used to, because they're kind of sore after one hour of songs (with a few breaks in between, of course), and oh god fuck the high notes. This is my voice. My voice is not good for high notes.

Your accent is cute. :I

I recently got back into singing too, and have been practicing my vocal range recently. I'd like to be able to cover the entire Contralto range comfortably, but the high notes are still harsh and wear my voice out pretty easily. Practicing has already made a huge difference, though!

I bet you could get your Pitch Ceiling up there if you worked at it. You sound like you could be a Tenor if you worked on it. *nod nod*

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175311 on: September 08, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »

I think people aren't set on the scale, too. Introverts have their extrovert moments, and vice versa.

It's -vert fluid, man.
Oooooor it's a shitty model of human social behaviour and we should try and find better ones instead of keeping them down by continuing to use this one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175312 on: September 08, 2016, 03:03:56 pm »

@Shook:Singing is good!  Go you!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175313 on: September 08, 2016, 03:07:13 pm »

Yeah, a lot of people are like that, it's the difference between extroverts and introverts.  Extroverts get energized from being around others, introverts get energized being alone.  It's why some people can party every day and others think they're crazy.

I think introverts (mostly running by personal experience here) are just people who have developed the habit to despise their fellow man and woman. It's tiring for anyone to deal with people they dislike, mistrust or see no common ground with, or to be in company where they feel like a drag. "Opening up" is a person ridding themselves of this habit upon the realization that people aren't actually horrible, or discovering how to project themselves in an interesting way that they believe makes people enjoy their company. Extroverts are simply people who have a much broader range of other individuals they don't hate or at least hold contempt for.

It's actually most apparent in, for instance, the transition to college if you manage to land in a good place. Suddenly the people get friendlier, they like stuff that you like, and for some reason you feel weirdly energized when you've had a conversation with them, to the point where you look forward to seeing them.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175314 on: September 08, 2016, 03:08:57 pm »

It's -vert fluid, man.
Oooooor it's a shitty model of human social behaviour and we should try and find better ones instead of keeping them down by continuing to use this one.

It's not a model of social behaviour, it's personality types. Personality isn't a static thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175315 on: September 08, 2016, 03:10:22 pm »

I think introverts (mostly running by personal experience here) are just people who have developed the habit to despise their fellow man and woman. It's tiring for anyone to deal with people they dislike, mistrust or see no common ground with, or to be in company where they feel like a drag. "Opening up" is a person ridding themselves of this habit upon the realization that people aren't actually horrible, or discovering how to project themselves in an interesting way that they believe makes people enjoy their company. Extroverts are simply people who have a much broader range of other individuals they don't hate or at least hold contempt for.

It's actually most apparent in, for instance, the transition to college if you manage to land in a good place. Suddenly the people get friendlier, they like stuff that you like, and for some reason you feel weirdly energized when you've had a conversation with them, to the point where you look forward to seeing them.

Or introverts tend toward disliking people because they make them uncomfortable and tired :P

Introversion isn't something that needs to be fixed.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175316 on: September 08, 2016, 03:12:26 pm »

As an introvert, I agree with hector.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #175317 on: September 08, 2016, 03:15:49 pm »

Not really that rigid, I think. Harry. Few people truly have behavior that remains that consistently uniform unless they have the emotional depth of a teaspoon.  Most everyone displays traits of both extroversion and introversion around everyone from total strangers to lovers and close friends at different times and in different situations.

I'd probably describe myself as an introvert-I can be (and often am) perfectly content living a solitary life, and often when I am around people it makes me happiest to just stay silent and fade into the wallpaper-but there are also times where I am a mile-a-minute chatterbox without personal space issues, usually when I'm around folks I trust.

It's -vert fluid, man.
Call yourself pantroverted. :   ^)

People can only exist in boxes, right?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175318 on: September 08, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »

Not really that rigid, I think. Harry. Few people truly have behavior that remains that consistently uniform unless they have the emotional depth of a teaspoon.  Most everyone displays traits of both extroversion and introversion around everyone from total strangers to lovers and close friends at different times and in different situations.

I'd probably describe myself as an introvert-I can be (and often am) perfectly content living a solitary life, and often when I am around people it makes me happiest to just stay silent and fade into the wallpaper-but there are also times where I am a mile-a-minute chatterbox without personal space issues, usually when I'm around folks I trust.

Oh, I'm not saying it's rigid. That's why you get people with both tendencies. Extreme introverts are highly distrustful. Extreme extroverts trust people all too readily. Trusting that people will accept you and thus being more confident and interesting as a result is what extroversion is. It's not that you're hardwired to enjoy people more or less, it's something of a state of mind. Much like social anxiety, it's not something you should really celebrate. Instead you should try finding people you like and you feel you can trust. There's nothing in the world like good mates.

The problem with fixing introversion, of course, is that trying to force people to have fun and open up creates perceived feelings of exclusion. If somebody tries to get you to have fun, that means they know you're not having fun to begin with, which signals that you're dragging the atmosphere down, which in turn magnifies the feeling of being alien and unsafe in a social setting. That, or they pity you, which is like being hated except more humiliating because unlike with hatred it means you're both despised and not a plausible threat to anyone.

Or introverts tend toward disliking people because they make them uncomfortable and tired :P

Introversion isn't something that needs to be fixed.

I'd tend toward the other way around. Nobody hates being accepted and validated, at least not the fact of being such, and nobody likes having to spend time with their shitty cousin who's done time and a whole lot of meth, no matter how extroverted they may seem. Introverts simply have a much wider range of people they can at least imagine being or acting like their shitty meth head cousin. Some of them have very good reasons for doing so - abuse, being ostracized, betrayal - that all make one very readily assume the very worst of people, which leads to shutting oneself off from others.

How you fix that is by putting trust into other people and learning to like them, and if they don't fuck you over you may develop a feeling of safety you haven't had before. It ties into, say, romantic relationships becoming much easier after your first one - the method works, and you have a test case for at least the starting bits (or not, if your relationships have been amazingly fucked up rather than enjoyable). And as I mentioned, the trouble with fixing it conventionally is that you can't force this trust. It's something you have to develop by yourself. The easiest scenario is where somebody lays themselves bare before you without you needing to share anything in return, but that doesn't happen very often. You kind of need to take the first step and hope nobody fucks you over for daring to try.

And then there's the question of what, if anything you need to fix. Do you have no friends and live a lonely existence where you hardly leave the house? You should probably fix that. Do you go out with people you barely know every night to get fucked up beyond all reason and human limitation? Dial up the suspicion. Do you have a couple of friends you like without serious reservations (not like a work friend that you make small talk with despite hating his stupid face and wishing he wasn't such a dick) and can hang out with to cheer yourself up? You're basically fine, congrats!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:15:00 pm by Harry Baldman »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #175319 on: September 08, 2016, 04:28:33 pm »

Not true, at least not for me, i need breaks even from people that i like a lot. Even my brother. I know some people here have shit-tier siblings, but my brother is basically my closest friend, bar none. Shy i may be, but i much prefer being open and warm to other people, even if i might not know them. It's to such an extent that most people don't ever realize that i have social anxiety if i don't tell them. There are very, very few people i've met that i'd say i hate, and even "does not get along with" is much more uncommon than "i like this person" or just "i don't mind the existence of this person". Thing is, being social takes effort from me, being solitary does not. But, as with everything else that takes effort, that doesn't mean i hate it. :v

Your accent is cute. :I

I recently got back into singing too, and have been practicing my vocal range recently. I'd like to be able to cover the entire Contralto range comfortably, but the high notes are still harsh and wear my voice out pretty easily. Practicing has already made a huge difference, though!

I bet you could get your Pitch Ceiling up there if you worked at it. You sound like you could be a Tenor if you worked on it. *nod nod*
Why thank you. ;o
I can actually go fairly high, and i'm not sure if my singing voice would be baritone or tenor, but it is noticably more high pitched than my speaking voice (which is actually in the lower end of my singing register), and is certainly not the hearty bass of our music teacher. :v (that man has a voice that Markiplier would envy)

I've no idea how music notation works, but basically i THINK i can keep up with all of these, including (just barely) the highest notes. Thankfully, everyone else is singing at the same time, so nobody can hear if i fuck up. I'd provide examples, but right now it's getting late, and i don't want to be that guy who makes noise at night after having bitched about others doing the same. I'm actually kind of surprised by how high i can go without my voice cracking, but hey, that's also good if i want to try voice acting. :P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:32:38 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 11686 11687 [11688] 11689 11690 ... 13325