Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11670 11671 [11672] 11673 11674 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15788176 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [*KHEZUNOISES*] What is even a whole orange (Happy thread)
« Reply #175065 on: September 01, 2016, 06:39:22 pm »

I fucking hate your game shook.

It makes me so really fucking frustrated.

And angry.

It makes me an Angry Laser Space.
This makes me want to check it out.
Being angry at frustrating games makes me happy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: [???] What do they kno? Snoooooooooo (Happy thread)
« Reply #175066 on: September 01, 2016, 06:45:08 pm »

-snip-
Update to the Nepenthes, it is now also the hunting ground of spiders

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Truly the happiest way to end my day, the population of spiders in my kitchen is now at a confirmed 5. Also got three web spinners sitting above and beside my door, in normal conditions they would kill each other because they're too close, but there's enough flying things to go around - really remarkable. I don't know what type of spider this is, but whatever it is, it has noticed flies congregating around the fly-eating pitchers. Let's hope she doesn't fall afoul of her lethal bait (for that matter, I wonder if the spider understands that its life would be in danger if it traveled around the waxy rim). I also suspect some sort of grass spider living in one of the cacti pots, but I haven't seen it yet. There was also a jumping spider I found in my chili plantlings, hunting an aphid that had made its way there somehow. I tried taking a picture of it, but forgot that jumping spiders had great eyesight. Imagine my surprise when she gets camera shy and shuffles behind a chili stalk, before scurrying away to some unknown corner. Adorable little hunter.

It's been about 3 years since my house was arachnidly cleansed of all spiderbros by a quite insane lady with a cleaning OCD, one who was as broken by their presence as I was broken by their absence, and I sorely missed the little house spiders and web spinners. By my superstition seeing them in the morning was good luck, and knowing they were all killed was heavily demoralizing. On a more practical level, no spiders meant a population boom of household moths and flying biting things. Sleep became a relic of the past, nights spent restlessly baking in a sealed tomb, or else getting too skilled at killing fast moving things. They were to quite an extent, driving me insane. They left scars that to this day still heal. I've tried to make peace with the flying things, but the only peace is through superior slaughticulture. More spiders, more cleansing, more carnivorous plants, I have found them to be more effective than poison.

In a strange way I have found more internal peace in working towards eradicating the flying things than in actually noticing their increasing absence. The nepenthes, pitcher plant, it only lived off of rainwater or distilled water, and required tender care for it to be nourished and grown (and not overfed and killed). Upon bringing it to my abode, I used some rope and lessons learned from maritime improvisation to stylishly attach it to the bars holding up some unused blinders. During the adjustment process (in which I had to quickly learn how to care for a plant that was in its current state, a fish out of water) I lost 3 of the 6 pitcher pots, and during watering I accidentally tore off the lid of one of the pots. I gave it a prosthetic lid made from a waterproof spam leaflet and tape, which helped it live for 2 months before rot overtook it and it had to be amputated like the rest. This left it with one mighty large pot and one lesser pot, both of which were manually fed with flies I caught manually in order to stimulate enzyme and nectar production. I didn't know if this was actually the case, but the alternative was certain death, and fortunately it turned out according to plan (and with some experimental orchid fertilizer portions - the whole plant was flourishing). Went through multiple phases of rainwater collection, sparked by one particularly harrowing two week ordeal where there was absolutely no rain in a land infamous for being always rainy, forcing me to maximize rainwater collection with bamboo sticks, plastic bin liners, water troughs, rocks, tape and all one day before the heavens opened and provided me with over 6 litres of fresh, pure rainwater I'm still running off to this day.

There was no longer any need to recirculate freshwater runoff from the plant using the recycling apparatus (a water bottle, cut in half, with the top end used as a funnel) which was probably the plant equivalent of drinking its own piss, as the whole purpose of using the freshwater was to drain excess minerals. This success enabled unparalleled plant health and everything was running at optimal condition. Now the runoff is used to fertilize the chili plants, and the nepenthes has gone from the equivalent of a terminally ill patient of an incompetent doctor, to a blind idiot god of ravaging hunger who demands tributes to fly to its mouth and throw themselves down its innards to their suicidal oblivion. The whole machine is running smoothly, and spiders praise the world everywhere.

Deep within this horrible machine, flying things are trapped and dying. For them this matters not, for they are without number, and summer is dark and full of terrors. The chance of drinking of my kitchen's cornucopia of nutrients is to them, something worth dying for. It is not uncommon for me to open my fridge and startle a flock of flying things into the cunning webs of feasting spiders, only daring to sit in full view when the sun goes down and the flying things flock to the lights of the aquarian and its tropical colony of fry, ever hungry for foolish mosquitoes to brave their watery abode. Amidst all this godless destruction of the flying things, I am filled with joy for the life grown on their metaphorical burnt ashes. The families of spiders and the blooming flowery life that has erupted in a cacophony of cruelest and most beautiful nature, graced by the bees whose presence they are aware I have granted full amnesty and support - the bees get along with the spiders, the nepenthes and I, and thus they are forever welcome (for as long as they seek not to make a permanent home of my permanent home). Nice to see them drink from the sunflowers and the orchids, and to see my most ancient cactus return to good health. One of the longer cacti split its head off, and I planted it in the soil to determine if this was one such plant that was capable of reproducing asexually - and it has indeed proved my correct. I can only think of one gardening endeavour that has gone afoul, and it is no great loss to lose 5 lavender clumps - the soil added for their sake can serve another's seedlings.

I have also made a good many true and honest friends recently, with whom I share commonalities rare to find in the great expanse of this ancient city. I thought it was funnier to post about the wonders of cultivating the domestic environment where elsewhere there is such a great abundance of musings on the value of sincere friendship. For the past days it has been truly amazing to meet old friends and new friends to some oatmeal stout, to return home to eat oatmeal, to go out and bants with new friends over London brew, return home to eat oatmeal - as much fun as I had, I am cutting down on expenses and eating with friends is expensive. Thus at home I eat oats, and have learned to replace instant noodles with their raw constituents. It truly is rare to have lived a day without home grown spices... I really must begin growing my own spring onions.

A bit of my rambling, for that I apologise all too late, but this is in full why today I am writing about yesterday's happiness. It is now past midnight and I am enjoying a brew of tea before sleep. Particularly happy to be busy and helping others out, though my efforts there have been mixed - quite hard to help someone who doesn't know what they're doing, but it's wholesome to try your best anyways. Bless these spiders, bless these fragile carnivorous plants, bless these indestructible orchids and hollies, bless oats, and spring onion, tape, and friends you could trust your life with.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175067 on: September 01, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »

Ahhh, LW.

*basks in admiration*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175068 on: September 01, 2016, 06:56:57 pm »

But who watches the watchspiders?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #175069 on: September 01, 2016, 07:24:46 pm »

With 8 eyes they may watch themselves

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175070 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:43 pm »

Groggy baby waking up is the cutest thing.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #175071 on: September 02, 2016, 01:28:08 am »

Juuust finished the original freespace campaign in FS2open. It was pretty fun besides that ONE mission (Playing Judas) and the silly fact I had to replay the last two missions because I did a derpy thing and left the bombers behind.

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175072 on: September 02, 2016, 06:03:14 am »

I made... a loaf of bread! I made a thing! It's pretty good!

I'd been wanting to bake bread for a long time now, just to taste homemade bread again, just to remind myself of the bread my great grandma used to make for our weekly Sunday Dinners.

My inexperience has caused me to waste the first two loaves from not letting them sit long enough, and this one that I succeeded in is a little too browned, but it had a good texture, and tasted great with butter.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175073 on: September 02, 2016, 06:37:55 am »

Just listened to Ufomammut for the first time.
They're coming with Monolord for an Australian tour in October, and at first I was skeptical since Monolord are one of my favourite bands and I didn't know Ufomammut at all and expected them to be some sort of boring experimental stoner stuff trying too hard to be weird... but no, no from what I'm hearing they're really good. Turns out space-doom is a great thing after all. Actually keen to see both bands now. :D
Shame about the local supports in my hometown... ugh, who chose them? >.>

I made... a loaf of bread! I made a thing! It's pretty good!

I'd been wanting to bake bread for a long time now, just to taste homemade bread again, just to remind myself of the bread my great grandma used to make for our weekly Sunday Dinners.

My inexperience has caused me to waste the first two loaves from not letting them sit long enough, and this one that I succeeded in is a little too browned, but it had a good texture, and tasted great with butter.
Baking bread is always good fun!
I should do that again sometime myself. I made quite a few loaves years ago, in an electric bread oven; somewhat more recently I cooked bread in my father's antique wood stove... but I haven't done anything of the sort in a while. Nice work!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #175074 on: September 02, 2016, 12:33:44 pm »

AMC Theaters is putting Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Blazing Saddles back in theaters this weekend, in memory of Gene Wilder. $5 tickets.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175075 on: September 02, 2016, 12:39:39 pm »

What about Young Fronkensteen?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175076 on: September 02, 2016, 12:47:25 pm »

I finally have Armok Vision working in VR, automatically detecting it and enabling it.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175077 on: September 02, 2016, 12:57:05 pm »

And The Producers? Bonnie and Clyde? Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother? Haunted Honeymoon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Wilder#Filmography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #175078 on: September 02, 2016, 12:58:36 pm »

Sadly, no. Fronkensteen and his enormous Schwanzstucker aren't coming back to the theaters.

Might be interesting to see how Blazing Saddles goes over in this current political climate.

I mean, I don't think you could get this scene into a movie anymore. (NSFW)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #175079 on: September 02, 2016, 01:04:38 pm »

I finally have Armok Vision working in VR, automatically detecting it and enabling it.
dear god
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 11670 11671 [11672] 11673 11674 ... 13325