Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11638 11639 [11640] 11641 11642 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15790881 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [*KHEZUNOISES*] What is even a whole orange (Happy thread)
« Reply #174585 on: August 16, 2016, 01:00:23 pm »

That is a nice depiction.
Here's a good Gunship music video that has the neon, cyberdecking, and filthy streets: https://youtu.be/uYRZV8dV10w
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #174586 on: August 16, 2016, 02:06:57 pm »

What exactly is Cyberpunk? Is it essentially an environment with very developed systems for stuff like hologram, AI, VR, and tons of virtual stuffs?

A good example of a cyberpunk game that's free (don't own any paid-for cyberpunk games) is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. While a lot of the lore's centered around the zombies and other things infesting the world, the few glimpses of the rest of the world paint a disturbingly realistic picture of what could be, if we ever get that technology.

To actually answer the question though, there's a lot of ways to go about it. There's the fun, fuck-everything variant that I've seen in a few places, which is basically a less sci-fi, slighty less serious version of Border Lands. There's an actual guess at what could be, where the rich are rich for reasons possibly tied to being able to afford cybernetics and keeping them from the poor, and is much more dystopian and serious. There's an intentionally beyond-reality dystopian version of the world, where the general public can get cybernetics, but the government/other equivalent is corrupt/generally malevolent. And so much more, I could go on all day. Generally though, they all tend to be more dystopian than anything, cybernetics tends to play a big part of the plot, and there's some part of society that generally needs to be fought.
Cata isn't cyberpunk. Cata is a huge mess of various themes with no unifying vision, apart from "(post-)apocalyptic".

It's one of those games where most of the things in it exist because somebody thought "Oh, wouldn't it be cool if...". I know this because SS13 is designed in exactly the same way.

Cyberpunk mostly represented a break from optimistic science fiction. It's gritty and often rather anti-etablishment. Because of the genre-defining novels by Gibson (which you definitely should read), it's also closely associated with the concept of virtual reality taken literally, eg the matrix, a term introduced in Neuromancer. (hence "cyber")
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:13:50 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174587 on: August 16, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »

That is a nice depiction.
This great description of cyberpunk made me happy today.
Thanks guys <3 I enjoyed writing that out, too. I like those associative steam-of-consciousness descriptions, they tingle when I read them out in a single take.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #174588 on: August 16, 2016, 06:37:42 pm »

This video and, in fact, some of the other "upcoming games videos" I've seen recently.

Mild sad in that I won't actually be able to run these games (and won't be getting a laptop that can any time soon), but bigger happy in that Youtube's gonna be a fun place to watch for quite some time. :)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174589 on: August 16, 2016, 06:38:53 pm »

A quantum communication experiment!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #174590 on: August 16, 2016, 07:25:16 pm »

Haha. Congratulations!

On the topic of buying things, I got a new pair of shoes. Now, I have never before in my life looked at shoes and wanted them. Anything practical goes. However, I liked these ones - for the first time in my life - so decided to get them.

Apparently liking something increases its value dramatically - they were £73, which is more than I've spent on clothes before. Ah well, they're schnazzy.

Oh, also, I'm going to Bangor tomorrow with friends to a book shop I love, then going to a Chinese with more friends as a "Last Supper" before Denmark.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174591 on: August 16, 2016, 09:34:37 pm »

What exactly is Cyberpunk? Is it essentially an environment with very developed systems for stuff like hologram, AI, VR, and tons of virtual stuffs?

This reminds me of a discussion in Roller's Block about cyberpunk restaurant management, starting from about here.
If you made a cyberpunk restaurant management RTD I would play the heck out of it.
On the topic of buying things: yesterday I bought the most ridiculous cardigan ever. I've never worn a cardigan before in my life, but I needed it.
And today I just bought a desk. I've been desperately lacking furniture for a while.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174592 on: August 17, 2016, 12:13:09 am »

Please don't quote...

I just feel like I'm free of a huge weight, resolved a lot of shame that was leading to more shame.
Also I should be making friends in meatspace instead of using GD as a pressure-release blog so I'll probably be leaving GD for the most part soon.  It's not you it's me (:  Really.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #174593 on: August 17, 2016, 12:23:32 am »

Normally I'd be salty about "RL is not internet", but having friends you can sit and talk to would be nice, plus now that I'm older I have no illusion about a forum's impersonal nature.

Cyperpunk restaurant kind of remind me of that Shadowrun module where you fight the mafia in a fast food restaurant with exceedingly low hygiene standard.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174594 on: August 17, 2016, 12:35:12 am »

Yeah definitely, I'm still absolutely friends with my gaming group.  We see each other about 2-3 times a year in person since I moved away, but they're definitely my best friends.

People I discuss with on a forum aren't my friends, even if I overshare a lot of personal details.  I barely use PMs...  I have actual friends on Steam and IM who I've never met and rarely voice chat with, totally real friendship.  PMs would be the same.
She/they

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174595 on: August 17, 2016, 12:46:54 am »

If I've learned anything- meatspace friends hate being used for pressure-release.
I've found it easier to make friends if I have the forum as a side-bitch for my constant rants and boasts.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174596 on: August 17, 2016, 12:47:53 am »

-snip-

Also, good luck with that. Making friends is a huge pain in the ass, derping about on the internet is far easier.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #174597 on: August 17, 2016, 12:52:39 am »

I met my wife on 'tinternets.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #174598 on: August 17, 2016, 01:42:34 am »

Hooray, for getting down a ton of game design ideas I'm proud of!

Hooray for actually being proud of myself!

Hooray for getting things done!

And for relieving stress!

:D
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #174599 on: August 17, 2016, 04:03:32 am »

I got my chipped tooth fixed today and no longer look like an eleven year old when I smile. Which, admittedly, doesn't happen very often.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 11638 11639 [11640] 11641 11642 ... 13325