Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11615 11616 [11617] 11618 11619 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796842 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #174240 on: August 06, 2016, 04:19:50 pm »

Maybe we should put up a singles/loneliness/dating thread?

Actually, that could be a bad idea.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #174241 on: August 06, 2016, 04:28:24 pm »

Hooray for dateless people I know online!

Admittedly mine is somewhat self inflicted. I'm overweight, and as a result have a poor self-body image. And I can't get myself into the state where I want to shift this weight for long enough.

Stupid love of food and hunger.
You just gotta find someone who doesn't care about that.

My advice for making friends? Mwke a bunch of shitty jokes, and if people laugh, do them more often. Then, slowly bring them into your niche interests and they'll probably love it. That's how I do it.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174242 on: August 06, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »

Maybe we should put up a singles/loneliness/dating thread?

Actually, that could be a bad idea.
Yeaaaaaah...I don't see that going so well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #174243 on: August 06, 2016, 04:56:37 pm »

Productive day in job hunting, in terms of number of applications made. Now if only someone would respond...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174244 on: August 06, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »

We bragging about romantic ineptness? 22 (23 in a few months) and zero dates so far. Had people flirt with me in the past, but I was too shy then to do anything about it.

About friendship though: it's kind of hard to get into a pre-established group of mutual friends. It's actually really easy to befriend someone who is alone, though.
The easiest time, I've found, is first year at college. There's usually a bunch of activities, especially at the start, that helps people meet their dorm neighbors, and people will usually have their doors open, again, especially near the start. It probably won't be seen as weird if you just go to the open doors near you during the first week and introduce yourself, make crappy small talk, meet people. Do activities put on by the RA (or equivalent), even if it's not exactly your first choice, especially when it's a pretty small group. Also, during your dorm experience at college, you are provided with a person who you can conveniently drag places/can drag you places. Even if you aren't exactly friends by the end of it, it's good practice. Basically, the entire dorm experience is designed to get people meeting other people.
That's how it's designed, yeah. The problem is that there's no guarantee that you'll find friends like that.

Remember, we're talking about undergrad freshmen. Most of them are there to get drunk, get laid, and vaguely appease the notion that they're there to further their education. If you're down for mindless self-indulgence you'll fit in. If not, you're better off trying to make inroads in your department a few years later--you'll have a bunch of classes with a relative handful of people with some degree of shared interests, and more focused events and programs aimed at the same.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #174245 on: August 06, 2016, 05:05:41 pm »

We bragging about romantic ineptness? 22 (23 in a few months) and zero dates so far. Had people flirt with me in the past, but I was too shy then to do anything about it.

About friendship though: it's kind of hard to get into a pre-established group of mutual friends. It's actually really easy to befriend someone who is alone, though.
The easiest time, I've found, is first year at college. There's usually a bunch of activities, especially at the start, that helps people meet their dorm neighbors, and people will usually have their doors open, again, especially near the start. It probably won't be seen as weird if you just go to the open doors near you during the first week and introduce yourself, make crappy small talk, meet people. Do activities put on by the RA (or equivalent), even if it's not exactly your first choice, especially when it's a pretty small group. Also, during your dorm experience at college, you are provided with a person who you can conveniently drag places/can drag you places. Even if you aren't exactly friends by the end of it, it's good practice. Basically, the entire dorm experience is designed to get people meeting other people.
That's how it's designed, yeah. The problem is that there's no guarantee that you'll find friends like that.

Remember, we're talking about undergrad freshmen. Most of them are there to get drunk, get laid, and vaguely appease the notion that they're there to further their education. If you're down for mindless self-indulgence you'll fit in. If not, you're better off trying to make inroads in your department a few years later--you'll have a bunch of classes with a relative handful of people with some degree of shared interests, and more focused events and programs aimed at the same.
Also remember that not every university or college has dorms, or these are reserved only for people who are from out of town and too poor to afford any sort of housing.

And there's nothing like group tests or assignments to make you either some great friends or hate their guts.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #174246 on: August 06, 2016, 06:25:17 pm »

Someone a bit back mentioned that it's hard to make new friends in a pre-existing group.... well, that's what I've been doing for years. I spent three years at three different schools. 5 years in one, one year another, two years another. The 5 year one wasn't much good for me - I made "friends", but with hindsight I was lucky to get away from them. I made friends with a group in the 1-year one, and when I left there I installed myself in yet another group. These groups had been going on since primary school, and whilst I've fallen out of contact with the first and second groups, the third one is now my main social circle. I've made some very good friends, and despite being the "new guy" in the group, I don't feel like that any more. It's not so hard if you find a group and just start talking to them. I'm glad I did.

As for women, I'm a) extremely awkward when talking to them and b) possessed of high standards. My brothers seem to be okay with dating anyone who seems interested in them, but I could never do that.... and I've yet to actually talk to a girl I really liked. Maybe I'm just a jerk, or maybe my awkwardness reduces my chance of having an interesting, engaging conversation with a woman. Probably the latter.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #174247 on: August 06, 2016, 06:47:49 pm »

Also remember that not every university or college has dorms, or these are reserved only for people who are from out of town and too poor to afford any sort of housing.

And there's nothing like group tests or assignments to make you either some great friends or hate their guts.
Also there's people like me who got into a dorm late so I never got a chance to do any of that beginning of the year stuff. Not that I would've done any of that regardless.

But that's all irrelevant now because I'm in a brand new city and have no friends. And I have no idea what to do here. Yay.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #174248 on: August 06, 2016, 07:05:07 pm »

Clearly you should use your dragony powers to demand tribute and amass a hoard of wealth/friends, lest you will burn the city to the ground.

:v

Also, today it struck me that while i have quite a tendency towards pragmatism when it comes to designing things and such (i.e. this is how my houses in Terraria tend to look), i actually enjoy it more when i decide to put pragmatism a little aside and make things a bit cooler. You're probably still not going to find me making those crazy artistic constructs that a select few extremely skilled people spend months on, but taking artistic liberties on smaller things? Oh yes. I mean hey, i already have most of modern minimalism down (white paint is all that's missing), so maybe i should become an interior designer. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174249 on: August 06, 2016, 08:11:11 pm »

That's easy, just memorize this list of terms and phrases: open concept, stainless steel appliances, subway tile backsplash, granite countertops, what does load-bearing mean, what is a building inspector, what do you mean buying sight-unseen is a bad idea, oh look the wall's full of black mold, the foundation's cracked...

Sorry. My folks watch-and-mock Home & Garden realty reality shows a lot. It bleeds over whenever I visit with them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174250 on: August 06, 2016, 08:44:18 pm »

Managed to pick up North Korean shortwave transmissions for the first time today. They were playing some kind of music, but I cant make out what it is.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #174251 on: August 06, 2016, 08:49:13 pm »

It seems like you really need friends to make friends...
Gonna poke the possible despirited underlying tone with people working with their doubts in socializing and having friends here o_o Not speaking for that, but sharing my own experiences.
Late childhood towards early college, I didn't have many close friends at all. Moving from school to school (once) in elementary changed my whole connection base. The same happened in college. I was in the midst of totally new people. I also was dealing with total social anxiety at that time--social anxiety, however, doesn't mean that I'm inept in listening [because that was the usual perception because we didn't know what social anxiety was before, we thought someone being silent may not mean they can respond well {which was the trademark of how my anxiety manifested itself}; this works in the same way these doubts do not mean they are automatically valid (even if it is 'felt as such'; these can be better assessed as the information that comes with it gets better). My dad helped me through this, he told me to make friends: Be a friend in return.
And I learned that that may personally be a fundamental thing for this kind of socializing--when you show these characteristics, these form your social image or your impression, but also work as making a foundation for others to get to know you for later on (ie You can open up with them more!). Reading the past page got me thinking back onto thoughts about how I saw my life in many keypoints of assessment, and contrary to how...I think I seem to be on Bay12, I always didn't have the friends I did now? This had to be made, and in cases of being totally separated that we've to make a new beginning because we have none, the period of 'having nothing' doesn't mean "we can't, anymore". It's always in how we work with the present, with contrast and comparison (eg to the past, for insight) to be used as visual aids rather than conclusions.
Just don't give up. :)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #174252 on: August 06, 2016, 09:06:36 pm »

Also, today it struck me that while i have quite a tendency towards pragmatism when it comes to designing things and such (i.e. this is how my houses in Terraria tend to look), i actually enjoy it more when i decide to put pragmatism a little aside and make things a bit cooler. You're probably still not going to find me making those crazy artistic constructs that a select few extremely skilled people spend months on, but taking artistic liberties on smaller things? Oh yes. I mean hey, i already have most of modern minimalism down (white paint is all that's missing), so maybe i should become an interior designer. :P
I can understand that.  To try and make something that wasn't a brick, I literally dusted off some old concept art for Final Fantasy, started working out variations on graph paper, and while I can't pretend my creativity is something impressive, I think I can at least say it isn't completely horrible.  That castle is definitely impressive, and it looks much roomier.  ^_^

I can't really talk to the social side of matters, though, since that seems to be the discussion of the hour.  I have zero friends, zero contacts outside of work or school, only the most tenuous of contacts at work and school, and have never had a relationship on either side of the fence in over 30 years.  I think, in all my history, I've only had one person I'd genuinely call a friend, and I haven't seen them or talked to them in at least ten years now.  That's just me, I think; there's really no helping it. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:09:11 pm by Culise »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #174253 on: August 07, 2016, 01:39:57 am »

I don't know about cool houses, but at lesst me and Flame has a cool room.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174254 on: August 07, 2016, 05:19:23 am »

I'm disgusted impressed.
Pages: 1 ... 11615 11616 [11617] 11618 11619 ... 13325