Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11578 11579 [11580] 11581 11582 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15797474 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #173685 on: July 19, 2016, 08:57:23 am »

It isn't the norm
No, being gay or trans is not the most common. But being a native american isn't either, and in fact is even more rare (about 2% of the US). But you should be able to see why saying that "being native american isn't the norm" is a real asshole-ish thing to say and might get you into trouble with some people.

There are many variations in people. To label anything (that isn't harmful) as "not normal" is extremely dehumanizing.
How? I reiterate: every human being is in some way deviant from the norm. Whether you are homogeneous or heterogeneous in regard to a physical or mental characteristic, personal taste, ethical perspective, &c. is associated with personhood, in the sense that it is part of what makes you the person you are. I'm struggling to see how "I am different from other people" equates to "I am not a person" in any sane worldview. A world where nobody deviated from any norm would be fucking horrifying.

I know it wasn't directed at me, but that's part of why I think all these linguistic games and identity politics are divisive bullshit. People are people, and if you need to distinguish some trait about them, use simple descriptors. It's immensely frustrating to live in a time where we really need to come together and pull to stop our species from sliding into the pit of extinction, but everyone seems to be caught up in all this petty hatred, devoting themselves to tearing others down and deifying themselves. We've had so many fucking centuries to reach the realization that our superficial differences are just that, but so many people still judge others and define themselves primarily based on those characteristics.
That premise is the real bullshit.  I've tried it, and I've spent most of my life surrounded by people that think they live by it.

It hasn't stopped people from treating me like shit, even though I've tried for decades to assimilate.  People still notice the shape of my eyes nose and body, the texture of my hair, the color of my skin, the inflection of my voice, my dialect, and the movement of my body.  In case it wasn't obvious, "just being me" doesn't help either. 

To make things worse, ignoring the identities of others makes it more difficult to empathize and communicate with them.

Without mutual acceptance of peoples' differences, there can be no means to peaceful coexistence.  What you want is impossible.

You kinda missed the point. I'm not arguing that differences should be eroded, I'm arguing that they should be treated as what they are (unique identifying characteristics, personality traits, &c.) rather than automatic determinations of someone's worth or position in society.

Frankly, and I'm sorry if this comes off a bit harsh, but I don't really want to have anything to do with people who deliberately wallow in a shitty, pessimistic, fragmented worldview, telling anyone trying to move towards a less hateful future that they should just stop because it's impossible and not worth it anyways. Our history as a species has been, largely, one of overcoming and setting aside the fucked up things we do and think. I'm certain that at every step of the way there were people who said that things were just fine as they were, and others who insisted that improvement was impossible. Neither of those groups have ever been right, and neither ever will be.

I don't count myself as an optimist, incidentally. But I still think that our collective ability to stop doing stupid shit (even if only by waiting until everyone who doesn't dies of old age) trumps our ability to cling to it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173686 on: July 19, 2016, 09:30:49 am »

Really, anything is possible. For instance, Bioshock Infinity could hold the secrets to the universe, though I wouldn't hold out on that.
The secrets, I mean.
Not that the universe is very secretive.
I think it's unpredictable enough that it doesn't matter who finds out the secrets.
Which I guess can be applied to life, too.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #173687 on: July 19, 2016, 09:51:23 am »

It isn't the norm
No, being gay or trans is not the most common. But being a native american isn't either, and in fact is even more rare (about 2% of the US). But you should be able to see why saying that "being native american isn't the norm" is a real asshole-ish thing to say and might get you into trouble with some people.

There are many variations in people. To label anything (that isn't harmful) as "not normal" is extremely dehumanizing.
How? I reiterate: every human being is in some way deviant from the norm. Whether you are homogeneous or heterogeneous in regard to a physical or mental characteristic, personal taste, ethical perspective, &c. is associated with personhood, in the sense that it is part of what makes you the person you are. I'm struggling to see how "I am different from other people" equates to "I am not a person" in any sane worldview. A world where nobody deviated from any norm would be fucking horrifying.
My point is that you can't define a "norm" for natural variations. I'm talking purely about the language and definitions we use, nothing more.

When you're lumped into a big old "other" category it can feel pretty bad. I'm no good at explaining it and this is already severely off topic, so look up "othering" if you want to know more.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173688 on: July 19, 2016, 09:56:49 am »

No one object is the same as any other object. Without acknowledging difference, the world is meaningless and uninterpretable.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173689 on: July 19, 2016, 10:09:50 am »

No one object is the same as any other object. Without acknowledging difference, the world is meaningless and uninterpretable.
And acknowledging infinite differences would somehow make it less meaningless or interpretable?

Ahem: Face it, humans exist on a bell-curve, made up of other, smaller bells. Just by being here we're already on the far edge of a single bell, so we're all less normal than normal people.
But the simple fact of statistics is that a fair and large amount of our population is made up of people with a given value of normal. At least normal on 70% of their bells.

Facts cannot be argued with, however their interpretation can be.
I.E. The difference between 'common' and 'normal'. It's so much nicer to say that gay or trans people are rare, rather than abnormal.

On the original argument, however, there's probably an equation somewhere for just how large a cut of pie should be before it's shuffled out of the 'misc' category.
I guess L, G, B and T are all too big to be 'other', but too small to be singular. so they get their own special misc and can lord it over the demisexuals.

Edit: Just realised I said basically the exact same thing as FD. That'll teach me not to get page-context.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:42:51 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #173690 on: July 19, 2016, 11:33:44 am »

I would hold that there is a pretty significant difference I'm how people use the phrases "not normal" contra "not the norm".
Love, scriver~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #173691 on: July 19, 2016, 11:39:01 am »

It feels good to know that somebody probably has a crush on me as I do on her :)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173692 on: July 19, 2016, 11:45:46 am »

It feels good to know that somebody probably has a crush on me as I do on her :)
Yay!!!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #173693 on: July 19, 2016, 11:47:54 am »

It isn't the norm

Sure. To simply label them as "not normal" is insulting, but when it comes down to practicalities, no one is going to, for example, change infrastructure for a Native American. Much more likely to do it for a higher percentage of the population, such as the disabled.

Although, I don't like how disabled access has spoiled the look of some buildings that I know. Not that I wouldn't have it done, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173694 on: July 19, 2016, 12:17:45 pm »

I have learned of the nightmarish power of a Jumping Spider man in DF. 5 SHIIIEEELDS
I'm back!~
I have had a pretty great summer thus far, meeting new people from all around, doing new things and all that stuff~ :v
Hooray!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173695 on: July 19, 2016, 12:36:42 pm »

I'm back!~
I have had a pretty great summer thus far, meeting new people from all around, doing new things and all that stuff~ :v
Yay!  Welcome back!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #173696 on: July 19, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »

I'm back!~

I would give you cake to celebrate, but the cake is a lie....

Welcome back!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #173698 on: July 19, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »

The streetlights look oddly... starry, so it might just have been shot with a very narrow aperture and possibly some filter.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173699 on: July 19, 2016, 05:55:17 pm »

Holy carp, Cardboard Computer finally released episode 4 of Kentucky Route Zero!

Time to go for a trip.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 11578 11579 [11580] 11581 11582 ... 13325