Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11421 11422 [11423] 11424 11425 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15784521 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #171330 on: April 28, 2016, 07:57:59 pm »

A golden watering can.

Don't know where to post this so

Happy 30th anniversary of Chernobyl everybody
Huh, that's actually a lot more recent than I thought.  Heck, I was even technically alive (by a few days).

not sure it's happy thread material but whatever floats your boat :P

Oh also, actual happy, being gifted a game from a friend and it's a lot of fun.  My immediate family is pretty terrible when it comes to birthdays, friends naturally do a better job.  Probably because they care by choice.  (I'm also friends with one of my family members)

I also found a guy on Youtube who talks about medieval weaponry and armor at length, with recreations as props.  It's pretty cool.  And eventually I found him tearing Helen of Troy a new one, which was especially hilarious after watching his normal documentary-style videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMi-N5exqD4
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #171331 on: April 28, 2016, 08:36:07 pm »

Happy 30th aniversaty of Chernobyl everybody
cheeki breeki iv damke

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #171332 on: April 28, 2016, 08:43:20 pm »

doped up fat guido guy.

ey whoa whatya mean i aint done notin ta you pal

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #171333 on: April 28, 2016, 09:01:16 pm »

Happy 30th aniversaty of Chernobyl everybody
get out of here stalker
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #171334 on: April 28, 2016, 10:11:31 pm »

It's happy since there wasn't a second reactor explosion, that would have gone from oh there's higher back ground radiation to oh Europe is a radioactively inhabitable waste land
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #171335 on: April 28, 2016, 10:33:13 pm »

oh Europe is a radioactively inhabitable waste land
Even if the second reactor exploded, and even if it was a dozen times the size of the last one, the exclusion zone would still be less than one ten-thousandth of Europe's land area
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #171336 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »

Gotta pound out a 4500 word term paper and a self-assessment tomorrow, two finals and a peer review the day after, and then I'm fucking done. Twelve more hours and I can just get a gorram job.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171337 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:30 pm »

oh Europe is a radioactively inhabitable waste land
Even if the second reactor exploded, and even if it was a dozen times the size of the last one, the exclusion zone would still be less than one ten-thousandth of Europe's land area

We watched a documentary in chem today, said if there was a second explosion (caused by pressure build up from sealing magma inside the first reaching pools of water from fighting fires) would have spread lethal amounts of radiation through Europe (in the atmosphere and back down as rain I guess?)

I don't know it didn't really explain it well just that the second possible explosion would have been BAD

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #171338 on: April 28, 2016, 11:24:08 pm »

higher back ground radiation
In Finland, the average yearly dose for those who don't work with radiation is 3,2 millisieverts. Of that, 0,02 mSv comes from nuclear fallout. That equals 0,064%, and includes both Chernobyl and all nuclear weapon tests done nearby. In the whole world, those numbers are 3,08 mSv, 0,01 mSv and 0,0308%. (source)

Chernobyl was a big disaster, but life goes on. It would take more than another of those to destroy Europe.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:28:23 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171339 on: April 28, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »

In Finland, the average yearly dose for those who don't work with radiation is 3,2 millisieverts. Of that, 0,02 mSv comes from nuclear fallout. That equals 0,064%, and includes both Chernobyl and all nuclear weapon tests done nearby. In the whole world, those numbers are 3,08 mSv, 0,01 mSv and 0,0308%. (source, from 2008)

Chernobyl was a big disaster, but life goes on. It's going to take more than another of those to destroy Europe.

I was just saying what the documentary said.
That's a what? .12 mSv change from a week of smoke plumes?
What would happen if literally tons of uranium magma was just vaporized into the atmosphere instead of contained? A lot more than just a .12mSv difference I'm sure (maybe nuclear waste land is a far stretch but still the effects of Chernobyl are still visible today even with the (relative to the situation) minimal radiation that did spread)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #171340 on: April 28, 2016, 11:59:07 pm »

In Finland, the average yearly dose for those who don't work with radiation is 3,2 millisieverts. Of that, 0,02 mSv comes from nuclear fallout. That equals 0,064%, and includes both Chernobyl and all nuclear weapon tests done nearby. In the whole world, those numbers are 3,08 mSv, 0,01 mSv and 0,0308%. (source, from 2008)

Chernobyl was a big disaster, but life goes on. It's going to take more than another of those to destroy Europe.

I was just saying what the documentary said.
What would happen if literally tons of uranium magma was just vaporized into the atmosphere instead of contained? A lot more than just a .12mSv difference I'm sure (maybe nuclear waste land is a far stretch but still the effects of Chernobyl are still visible today even with the (relative to the situation) minimal radiation that did spread)
It...umm, wasn't contained, and there were two explosions.  That's the reason it was as bad as it was.  The reactor casing cap was blown right through the roof of the reactor by the first of two explosions (caused by steam), and the actual second explosion (believed either to have been caused by hydrogen from electrolyzing water or a transient prompt critical event in a small part of the reactor) blew debris right through the pre-created hole.  This is what Reactor 4 looked like after.  The thing is, however, the core wasn't vaporized, and even if all four reactors had gone up by some grievous mischance, it still wouldn't have been vaporized, though the Zone clean-up and sarcophagus construction would have taken longer.  There just wasn't enough spontaneous release of energy for a supercritical chain reaction to spread through even one core; the difference between a nuclear reactor and a nuclear bomb goes down to the very basic fundamentals of design.  A nuclear bomb is designed to release a whole bunch of energy all at once; a reactor is designed to release it very gradually.  The former accomplishes this by very precise and very careful warhead design and a triggering explosive; even denting the core can be enough to turn one from a city-buster into a very expensive dirty bomb.  The latter is spread out precisely to avoid a prompt critical event; as impressive as it is to meet your energy production needs for the next Five Year Plan in a fraction of a second, it tends to be difficult to actually capture and use that energy.  Indeed, if the second explosion was actually caused by a prompt critical event as some now believe, it demonstrates what happens when a reactor hits that point: the energetic release of concentrated boom scatters itself over a few square kilometers before the reaction spreads too far and gets too big.

Also, fun fact to scale these radiation numbers: one banana contains an average of 0.1 µSv.  That puts 0.12 mSv is a wee bit over the typical norm for one thousand banana-equivalent doses.   This is also apparently equivalent to about a third of the radiation released by the potassium in your own body in a year (bit under 400 µSv).  Go with the numbers IcyTea used, and 0.02 mSv is maybe two hundred bananas. :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:00:45 am by Culise »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #171341 on: April 29, 2016, 12:16:04 am »

0.01 mSv.

What would happen if literally tons of uranium magma was just vaporized into the atmosphere instead of contained?
The danger wasn't that uranium magma would vaporise, but that the uranium magma would vaporise water (primarily from fire crews spraying it) which would carry radioactive material far and wide. Which... did happen.

Chernobyl was a disaster. Things went horribly wrong. It could have been worse, but even if the Soviets completely abandoned the place and made no effort to contain the reactor, Europe for the most part would be okay. Ukraine wouldn't, but you get the idea.

E: Ninjered. Thanks Culise.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #171342 on: April 29, 2016, 01:22:40 am »

Taken is a pretty well put-together movie. It's not necessarily something like a 50 billion Oscar winning thing or whatever, but it's really well directed, every scene has a purpose, good character development, and the action is really cool and realistic. I've consistently enjoyed watching it no matter how many times I've seen it, it doesn't wear off for me. It's rare that I find a movie like that.

Whoever made it had a very particular set of skills.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #171343 on: April 29, 2016, 01:36:20 am »

They will find you, and they will film you.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #171344 on: April 29, 2016, 01:47:20 am »

They will find you, and they will film you.
In a very good manner!

What I think I like most is that people actually react realistically to Liam Neeson tearing Paris a new asshole. He actually gets in trouble with the police and stuff. The only reason he gets out of the minor international incident he causes is because he clearly has contacts in the government from his secret spook work.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 11421 11422 [11423] 11424 11425 ... 13325