Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11418 11419 [11420] 11421 11422 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15781536 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #171285 on: April 27, 2016, 07:41:35 am »

I have no idea. Although mental capacity isn't a factor in consent laws AFAIK.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171286 on: April 27, 2016, 08:46:31 am »

It kinda is in most places, I think? Its just people have this odd idea its just an age limitation, but said age limitation was stablished based on known degrees of mental development. It gets iffy when conditions that alter mental development are involved. People that suffer from conditions that impair their mental capacity are often considered "vulnerable" and thus unable to properly give consent, but downs syndrome people present an entirely different spectrum. Some are basically functional human beings, others are functionaly mentaly impaired for life.

I think its pretty effy in a lot of places. Its best if a certified psychiatrist can determine the downs syndrome patient's cognitive age first.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171287 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:51 am »

If you can't get vaccine, you can also just drink the blood of an autistic person.
Or live in a country where it's been eradicated.
I don't think you can eradicate autism without eugenics.
Consider that people with autism never really asked to have their condition, and probably won't tolerate eugenics on top of that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #171288 on: April 27, 2016, 10:43:27 am »

We had our second wedding anniversary last night. Spent it trying out I am Bread together. It was a silly night and lots of fun, if not what most people would consider for an anniversary celebration.  :P
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #171289 on: April 27, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »

Apparently the college campus that my two classes are at is closed today due to power outages. I guess the thunderstorm last night actually hit something important.

Looks like a free day to stay home and sleep and study.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171290 on: April 27, 2016, 02:27:59 pm »

Well, my laptop's battery was appearing to be broken. And now it isn't. Hooray for the universe giving a little back!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #171291 on: April 27, 2016, 08:41:23 pm »

I finally had the time to try Final Fantasy Tactics, via emulation.

It's already pretty great. The plot looks more convoluted than actual medieval European history, but I bet it starts to make more sense as I play. I only just beat the third mission now.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #171292 on: April 27, 2016, 08:59:54 pm »

Consider that people with autism never really asked to have their condition, and probably won't tolerate eugenics on top of that.
We never said it was an ethical choice, just that it'd work.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #171293 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:20 pm »

You know, I actually understood the joke, but I feel it's a bit late to explain.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #171294 on: April 27, 2016, 09:11:17 pm »

Well as someone with autism I actually support the idea of some basic low-impact eugenics. Though not in the context of eliminating autistics of course.
But a program to slowly improve the mental acuity of the general population? That'd be awesome.

I finally had the time to try Final Fantasy Tactics, via emulation.

It's already pretty great. The plot looks more convoluted than actual medieval European history, but I bet it starts to make more sense as I play. I only just beat the third mission now.
BFEL couldn't get far in that game unfortunately. The whole "every location levels slightly faster then you" combined with possibility of permadeath makes it unplayable. I mean for fucks sake its a FINAL FANTASY game. WHY CAN'T I GRIND?!!
Only got as far as the first betrayal.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #171295 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:28 pm »

How much correlation is there between intelligence and genetics outside of disorders?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171296 on: April 27, 2016, 10:47:58 pm »

Well as someone with autism I actually support the idea of some basic low-impact eugenics. Though not in the context of eliminating autistics of course.
But a program to slowly improve the mental acuity of the general population? That'd be awesome.

I'm aware that eugenics is unpopular enough that fake bad stuff about it can slip by, but it was my understanding that there's no way to conduct eugenics on any scale without either:

1) killing people
2) forcibly sterilizing people
3) punishing people viciously for having kids when they weren't supposed to
4) ensuring undesirables don't have kids by building stigma against them

None of those things are exactly ethically sound. What does a 'low-impact' eugenics program look like?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171297 on: April 27, 2016, 11:01:56 pm »

-passive aggressively points out the irony of discussing eugenics in a happy thread-

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #171298 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:24 pm »

How much correlation is there between intelligence and genetics outside of disorders?
Intelligence and disorders correlate statistically, so it's hard to answer the question under those conditions. Genetics probably has an effect on both, but that study is cutting-edge and not all of it is public yet.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #171299 on: April 27, 2016, 11:31:15 pm »

Probably shouldn't make efforts in eugenics when the basis for it isn't even known to be true yet.
Pages: 1 ... 11418 11419 [11420] 11421 11422 ... 13325