Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11209 11210 [11211] 11212 11213 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15755398 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [🐌] Goat Moms sweet sugary ASS thread. (Happy thread)
« Reply #168150 on: February 02, 2016, 04:28:51 pm »

His motives were based around self enjoyment and personal pleasure.
If that's all it takes for a person to be a "terrible person" then I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there's probably a very large number of us who are "terrible people" as well. I mean, I know that certainly the vast majority of the things I do are powered by reasons of "self enjoyment and personal pleasure". :P

Buying merchandise for a show? I want them to know that I enjoy the show, and make more episodes.
Helping someone out on a task? It will cost me relatively little, and it will keep/raise me in their good graces, which will pay back over time.
Buying that new book? I want to have some time that I find enjoyable.
Listening to someone I don't like talk? It stops them from becoming an enemy that could hurt me.
Volunteer work? It'll look great on a resume, plus my body hits me with all sorts of good feeling endorphins when I feel like I've accomplished something, as well as giving me something that I can turn to if I messed up, a la "Well at least I helped out at the soup kitchen".

Pretty much everything I do is powered at the lowest level by some form of self interest, and I'd be willing to bet that that holds true for the vast majority of actions by the vast majority of people. We are, as humans, vastly predisposed to look out for ourselves or our communities (which is just a roundabout way of looking after ourselves) first.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #168151 on: February 02, 2016, 04:34:32 pm »

Hue, so i decided to get temporarily paranoid about my online privacy, and apparently my Facebook profile is the closest that those sites get, and even then it doesn't give out anything that you wouldn't already know (except my middle name, i guess, but that's probably plenty to lead a determined PRIVACY INVADER to other details). Helps that most of them only concern themselves with 'murica. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #168152 on: February 02, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »

His motives were based around self enjoyment and personal pleasure.
If that's all it takes for a person to be a "terrible person" then I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there's probably a very large number of us who are "terrible people" as well. I mean, I know that certainly the vast majority of the things I do are powered by reasons of "self enjoyment and personal pleasure". :P
Certainly. I was countering the opinion that his saving them could be seen as a "good" act. It's not, because to be "good" it would have to be an action done from an empathetic or at least semi-altruistic position. From my motive-based opinion, of course.

People do make many decisions based on their own interests, but at least they tend to have some redeeming quality with which they act. My sister cares for an autistic boy because she gets paid to do so, but she genuinely cares for him and would do an awful lot for him. That can be seen as a moral standpoint. Saving someone solely for personal pleasure, with no thought to the person as a person, is not good.

I'm not saying that those who base decisions around themselves are terrible, but rather that they're not necessarily good either.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #168153 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:18 pm »

It's already pretty great, what with the opposable thumbs.

Still, I know a lot of people get really cold hands. Perhaps hand hearts? :P

Kinda need a bit of context to make an informed suggestion. Why do you want to know?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #168154 on: February 02, 2016, 05:30:08 pm »

If you could improve the hand, how would you do it?

I'm talking purely biological and excluding things that would help with tech.

Another opposed thumb on the other side of the palm could be useful for holding stuff, I would imagine.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168155 on: February 02, 2016, 05:31:07 pm »

Have it be holding a lightsaber-wait, only biological?
Darn.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168156 on: February 02, 2016, 05:35:16 pm »

Eh? Some improvement that doesn't conflict with tech that already exists and has been adapted to the hand's current form and function, probably, so an extra opposable thumb is prob out of question. Maybe just better muscle density and stronger bones? Maybe have some extra muscle going through the wrists to improve grip strenght or something, and maaaaaybe slightly longer fingers.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168157 on: February 02, 2016, 05:38:04 pm »

Fully prehensile fingers? Or at least bidirectional joints. Perhaps with two thumbs and three fingers proper.
I'm not sure that would be a direct improvement, but like...perhaps?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #168158 on: February 02, 2016, 05:38:26 pm »

Aside from just making it more durable and stronger, there's not a lot. The human hand is complex and dextrous on a level effectively impossible to replicate with current technology.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168159 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:19 pm »

Well, no, not necessarily.
We're making pretty good progress, I think.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #168160 on: February 02, 2016, 05:41:52 pm »

I'm talking purely biological and excluding things that would help with tech.
Retractable blade-like claws, useful for cutting food, climbing mountains, fighting predators and each other off. Still allows for gentle things like making clothes, being sociable or intimate, and swimming.
Gripping pads like chameleons have on their hands. Would make sports more even-fielded for us non-athletes.

Someone said a secondary heart in the extremity to keep blood flowing there and keep them warm? Bad idea, we already loose a lot of body heat through the sheer amount of surface area we have there. Maybe a thicker hide/hairier hands instead, or along side that. If you can counter the increase in heat loss somehow, I wouldn't object to hand-hearts, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #168161 on: February 02, 2016, 05:55:12 pm »

Fully prehensile fingers? Or at least bidirectional joints. Perhaps with two thumbs and three fingers proper.
inb4 tentacle hands
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168162 on: February 02, 2016, 05:59:19 pm »

After 1 and 1/2 days of struggle, frustrated tears, prayer, and effort, I've finally gotten EvE Online to work.
Never fucking mind
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:24:11 pm by BlackHeartKabal »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168163 on: February 02, 2016, 06:01:39 pm »

inb4 tentacle hands
How about tentacle everything ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168164 on: February 02, 2016, 06:04:58 pm »

Gigantic hands for basketball players, and tiny hands for tailors, and long fingers for pianists.

So I guess it isn't "every hand".
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 11209 11210 [11211] 11212 11213 ... 13325