Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11185 11186 [11187] 11188 11189 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15757136 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: [🐌] Goat Moms sweet sugary ASS thread. (Happy thread)
« Reply #167790 on: January 26, 2016, 01:15:55 am »

Crikey you guys all had bad English teachers. At my high school, if you'd tried to write a lit essay without reading the book or doing extensive reading about it you'd be very lucky to get a fifty.

Much as I detest the setworks we had, they were local liẃ, which was nice I guess.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: [] Goat Moms sweet sugary ASS thread. (Happy thread)
« Reply #167791 on: January 26, 2016, 01:23:25 am »

In my literature class, we always had presentations instead of written essays. I'm not a very good writer, but I have some talent in theatrics, so this was good for me. I once just interrupted my presentation to come forward up to the audience and sit on a table to read an excerpt from the book. My teacher found that extremely charming. Perfect score, even though I barely explained what the book was about, much less interpreted its underlying meanings.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167792 on: January 26, 2016, 01:38:42 am »

I am being far more social despite my complete lack of time to do so, and I'm kind of stopping the whole thing where I convince myself that everybody I'm speaking with doesn't actually want to be speaking with me. That's always fun. Also finally getting my acne stuff under control. Maybe. We'll see about that one. (Any advice would be welcome because it's been meh for years and sucks.)

Honestly, just talking to more people and being cheerful worked for me.
Yeah  that did wonders for my acne too.
I'm actually a really cheerful person already, it's only on occasion that I get blah about things, and even then not that severely. (That's a recent development in the past few years though, living not with my mother was a crazy good life change.)

I am being far more social despite my complete lack of time to do so, and I'm kind of stopping the whole thing where I convince myself that everybody I'm speaking with doesn't actually want to be speaking with me. That's always fun. Also finally getting my acne stuff under control. Maybe. We'll see about that one. (Any advice would be welcome because it's been meh for years and sucks.)

Supposedly, washing your pillowcase like every week helps to control acne. Cutting out soda helps too. Finding people that show you that they value you can be tough, I can sympathize there, and while I can offer no resolution for that, I can assure you that they both exist and that your peers value you for more than they show.

The pillowcase thing I just started doing after realizing I haven't washed my sheets in a few months. They charge us an arm and a leg to do laundry in the dorm so I've been going a bit overboard on avoiding it.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167793 on: January 26, 2016, 01:59:01 am »

One of my mates got to read The Prince as his. Changed his life, apparently
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #167794 on: January 26, 2016, 02:04:22 am »

today i got that rush of something or other, adrenaline or some other hormone, that I used to get when I was a middling teenager and basically any girl talked to me whatsoever, except it was just a dude sitting next to me on the bus, but like this guy was really hot okay

and that sorta suggests that i'm somewhat biologically bisexual
that's convenient, I think

One of my mates got to read The Prince as his. Changed his life, apparently

The Prince is amazing. The best perceived difficulty/actual difficulty ratio of any book that I know of. It's pretty short and not too hard a read, but people are like "woah machiavelli are you like some sort of smart?".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #167795 on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:55 am »

I've never tried reading the Prince in Italian, I quite enjoyed my translation though. For difficulty it was quite all right, light on the eyes, did you have an archaic translation? It's certainly no mad philosophy that crosses the line from "you like some sort of smart?" to "???"

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167796 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:28 am »

Machiavelli was a very practical philosopher. Pretty much all his ideas (or at least all the ideas exposed in The Prince) can be applied to life and society (and life in society) without much explanation or hemeneutics, mostly because he focuses a lot more on society and man rather then pure knowledge and the nature of existence/the world. He's different from most renaissance phisolophers due to being highly pragmatic, rather than idealistic, altough he takes a more idealistic stance on Discourses on Livy.

TL;DR: his stuff is a lot more "oh thats actualy makes sense" rather then "??? pls explain".

Anyway, on today's happy, while I thought I slept pretty badly overall due to my mind going HEY ITS TIME TO THINK ABOUT A WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF WE SHOULDN'T BE THINKING OF RIGHT NOW during a good chunk of the night, I dont seem to be nearly as tired as I should be. That and the one special wine I ordered for my girlfriend's birthday seems to have arrived. I still need to fetch the chocolates tho.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:10:49 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #167797 on: January 26, 2016, 09:28:55 am »

Just took my last exam. Got 5/A without even answering the questions in the examination paper - the professor said that "it was obvious that you would've answered all these questions, why even bother" and invited me to meet with him on Friday, to maybe discuss some jolly scientific cooperation.

when did i suddenly get so awesome at university
._.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167798 on: January 26, 2016, 09:58:47 am »

-snip-

My memory is too shot to remember the exact years I did this or that book/play, but for English I remember reading the classics. To Kill a Mockingbird, Farenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet and a bunch of other stuff I've probably forgot. We also got to watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Inglorious Bastards and Fight Club. Postmodernism was a very weird but fun section of English to wade through.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167799 on: January 26, 2016, 10:02:29 am »

I'm holding up very well today despite not sleeping well last night or the night before that.

Yeah for high school English classes I read basically the same classics you did.  Not MacBeth or Fahrenheit 451 though.  Add in Othello, The Crucible, Death of a Salesman, Frankenstein and a few others that escape me.

I only had one college course with English literature (the other class I needed for general education requirements was a creative writing course).  A lot of that literature class was about Moby Dick, a book I hate to this day.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #167800 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:04 am »

my mandatory reading so far this year:
midnight blue (absolute fucking garbage)
the fault in our stars, DUTCH TRANSLATION
being of 2 minds or something (probably also garbage)
the perks of being a wallflower, DUTCH TRANSLATION

yeah

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #167801 on: January 26, 2016, 10:56:47 am »

I just received a gift copy of Magicka. Now if only I had someone to play it with in the quote-unquote "co-operative" mode, I could be even happier about this...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167802 on: January 26, 2016, 11:00:46 am »

I'm holding up very well today despite not sleeping well last night or the night before that.

Yeah for high school English classes I read basically the same classics you did.  Not MacBeth or Fahrenheit 451 though.  Add in Othello, The Crucible, Death of a Salesman, Frankenstein and a few others that escape me.

I only had one college course with English literature (the other class I needed for general education requirements was a creative writing course).  A lot of that literature class was about Moby Dick, a book I hate to this day.

Good, another person that hates Moby Dick. Goddamn inane rambling book that hipsters use as an excuse to appear deep. I know people that found it absolutely insane and then came back to it years later and found it wasn't that terrible, but it has never been that great, or at least not great enough for english lit teachers to be faffing so much about it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #167803 on: January 26, 2016, 11:02:00 am »

Hey, I just received a gift copy of Tropico! Lol.

But I have magica, I think - haven't got round to playing it yet. I'd be willing to play sometime, though not today.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167804 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:10 am »

I don't remember most of my school readings, but I do remember the bad ones I've had.

In elementary, I had to read A Wrinkle in Time.  I don't remember it particularly well, but the plot seemed really incoherent.  These kids find these old women who aren't old women, they bounce around a bunch of random dimensions, and then they kill this brain thing ruling over this  town by thinking really weirdly.  And that's the story.

Middle school had me read Into Thin Air, which was this non-fiction that had to do with a bunch of Everest climbers getting stuck in a big storm, I think they made a movie of it recently.  The main problem that kept me unengaged was the shear amount of characters.  There were multiple teams of climbers, each team had like 10 people and a boatload of Sherpa.

We also had to read a bunch of Jack London, whom I swear writes the same book every time.  Its Alaska, its fucking cold, long parts of some guy freezing to death because its Alaska and its fucking cold, and dogs that are wolfs but not really.  And its fucking cold in Alaska.

In High School, we had to read Nineteen Minutes, which was terrible.  It had to do with this fictional school shooting and all of the court stuff afterward, with a teenage romance subplot on the side because why not.  I wasn't sure wether I wanted the kid to be innocent pr guilty or whatever, because every character was incredibly unlikable or forgettable.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 11185 11186 [11187] 11188 11189 ... 13325