Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10959 10960 [10961] 10962 10963 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15790954 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: [🐌] Goat Moms sweet sugary ASS thread. (Happy thread)
« Reply #164400 on: October 26, 2015, 05:10:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure that would be impossible. DF is not good at imitating bullet hell. Like, at all.

meh, technically possible.

i wouldn't do it though

the display would be a nightmare, what with the tile-based display

like the full images i can put is just a picture file that I tell the game is a tilesheet
It's "technically possible" in the same sense as "programming a ping-pong minigame" is technically a possible thing to do in Super Mario World. I.e. it would take more time than just going out and programming it directly in Pascal/C++.
And?
Isn't part of this stuff about the awesome of making stuff like that actually work?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #164401 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:57 pm »

It's not really awesome to struggle against specific programming limitations, all while knowing that there's a much simpler way to do it that would waste much less of your time.
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164402 on: October 26, 2015, 05:49:23 pm »

It's not really awesome to struggle against specific programming limitations, all while knowing that there's a much simpler way to do it that would waste much less of your time.
No, the point is, you're doing it specifically to overcome those limitations.  As a sort of challenge.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164403 on: October 26, 2015, 06:09:12 pm »

The problem is that I know pretty much exactly what the limitations to overcome are and where the challenges lie, making it more an issue of tedium than one of actual proper challenge.

I would have to roll my own collision detection, of course, then write a shitload of sprites for the bullets and character so that they can have subtile movement. I do mean a shitload; approximately one for every subtile I'll want a move on, and I'll probably want, oh, 256 of those. Making the sprites would be a matter of selecting the sprite, moving it one pixel in some direction, putting that onto the spritesheet then repeating for an entire 16x16 spritesheet.

It's actually definitely one of those "i'd rather just make this in a different engine" situations, yeah.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164404 on: October 26, 2015, 06:27:58 pm »

It's actually definitely one of those "i'd rather just make this in a different engine" situations, yeah.

I misread this as "It's actually definitely one of those 'I'd rather just make a difference engine' situations, yeah."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164405 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:20 pm »

The problem is that I know pretty much exactly what the limitations to overcome are and where the challenges lie, making it more an issue of tedium than one of actual proper challenge.

I would have to roll my own collision detection, of course, then write a shitload of sprites for the bullets and character so that they can have subtile movement. I do mean a shitload; approximately one for every subtile I'll want a move on, and I'll probably want, oh, 256 of those. Making the sprites would be a matter of selecting the sprite, moving it one pixel in some direction, putting that onto the spritesheet then repeating for an entire 16x16 spritesheet.

Wellp.  Darn.  A is a wash.  Plan B is go.  Mongoose Delta, do you copy?
Sigtext

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164406 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:23 pm »

Had caekday today. Eated caek, which was made of peanut butter and magic. I obtained the newest Tiffany Aching, the new Mistborn Adventures thingy and Undertale, as well as not insignificant amounts of cash monies and board game stuff. I am now apparently sixteen. This gives me all sorts of totes relevant rights and stuff under the law, so that is most definitely exciting and important and not at all useless. Still, its pretty nice to have survived sixteen whole years[That's THIRTY TWO half-years, for the record].

EDIT:

I also got a stuffed Companion Cube the size of my head. Its hella cuddly and hasn't threatened to stab me ONCE.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:28:45 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #164407 on: October 26, 2015, 10:27:36 pm »

Making the sprites would be a matter of selecting the sprite, moving it one pixel in some direction, putting that onto the spritesheet then repeating for an entire 16x16 spritesheet.
If you're considering doing this by hand then I'll have to revoke your programmer's license
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164408 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:53 pm »

i don't do graphiiics

also it's a problem of... uh, what's the term here... morality. It would be morally wrong to make a 256 tile sprite sheet that is just one sprite shifted slightly.

I cannot actually do that any other way in DF, heh.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164409 on: October 26, 2015, 10:31:41 pm »

Had caekday today. Eated caek, which was made of peanut butter and magic. I obtained the newest Tiffany Aching, the new Mistborn Adventures thingy and Undertale, as well as not insignificant amounts of cash monies and board game stuff. I am now apparently sixteen. This gives me all sorts of totes relevant rights and stuff under the law, so that is most definitely exciting and important and not at all useless. Still, its pretty nice to have survived sixteen whole years[That's THIRTY TWO half-years, for the record].

EDIT:

I also got a stuffed Companion Cube the size of my head. Its hella cuddly and hasn't threatened to stab me ONCE.

We r caek buddehs!
...though I'm literally old enough to be your father.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #164410 on: October 27, 2015, 12:19:08 am »

I have a ** HOT DATE ** the day after tomorrow. I feel like I can be myself with somebody. I'm content right now.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #164411 on: October 27, 2015, 01:40:02 am »

Ah, I see. I had a similar thing go on after GWG got banned. Had to get Tiruin to talk me out of doing what she's doing.

EDIT: Oh almost forgot to post mah happy. Finally got Skyrim into a playable state. Granted its at literally the lowest graphics stuff without making the draw distance "an inch from your nose" but eh.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:44:02 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #164412 on: October 27, 2015, 02:54:15 am »

I've realized that I could deal with problem of "not enough space in a 32-bit integer" by saving the outputs over a series of input hashes and then averaging over outputs to filter out the noise when accessing them.

I'm sure that this is actually a bad idea, but for a moment, I'm feeling pretty happy.
._.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #164413 on: October 27, 2015, 03:05:02 am »

Since you guys have been talking about No Mercy, there's a thing that let you skip straight to the fights without having to go through all the murdering.

Even the thing's name is a spoiler to people who haven't played the game

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164414 on: October 27, 2015, 03:53:11 am »

I beat Undertale just yesterday, in fact. Got my happy ending.
And then today I beat Broforce! Wowie. I'm on a game-completing roll! Backlog, here I come.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 10959 10960 [10961] 10962 10963 ... 13325