Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10904 10905 [10906] 10907 10908 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15787515 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: [🎺💀🎺] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163575 on: October 07, 2015, 01:43:53 pm »

Is English actually the language with the most redundancy?
I don't know about "the most", but apparently so; I was rather surprised when I first heard that as well. That said, I can sort of see where it's coming from, given that just about any word or phrase in English (that isn't a conjunction or something) will have multiple synonyms or alternate and equivalent forms of expressing the same sentiment with slightly different implications.
That's true for downright every natural language there is. Is overestimating the complexity of their language some sort of national pastime among English-speaking individuals? Because it seems to be a very widespread phenomenon (chiefly among monolinguals, to my great amusement).
Eh, I've heard it repeated from a lot of ESL students I've worked with, and it matches my own experiences with Spanish. Which is, y'know, why I added that clause suggesting that it wasn't necessarily "the most" redundant.

That said, I can see some argument for it in no small part because English isn't a national or regional language--it's a de jure or de facto official language in ~60-70 countries and a double handful of territories beyond that, and is spoken fairly widely outside those compared to most languages. It's got a mongrel base drawing on three different language groups and is now a highly international language--both of these result in the accumulation of phrases and slang which mean similar things in different places.

I do like, though, the assumption on your part that redundancy is flatly good. It's nice for writers and annoying in just about every other situation. Who needs to describe the state of a person's condition as "okay" using any of... acceptable, adequate, agreeable, all right, amiable, average, common, cool, copacetic, decent, fair, good, good enough, half-decent, hunky-dory, moderately acceptable, okay, passable, peachy keen, reasonable, respectable, satisfactory, so-so, standard, sufficient, tolerable, unobjectionable, or unexceptional? Writers, and damned near nobody else. And that's just off the top of my head.

I mean granted, I think it's nice because you can pay more attention to the flow and sound of your composition as well as accounting for finer shades of meaning, but I'm a (hack) writer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163576 on: October 07, 2015, 02:37:40 pm »

I do not have school until Tuesday. 5-day-weekends are always a good thing.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #163577 on: October 07, 2015, 02:40:31 pm »

I only have "class" 8 hours a week.

I win :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163578 on: October 07, 2015, 02:42:34 pm »

Japanese anime voice actors are just so soothing that they eased the pain of you having to watch The Great Gastby.
Japanese anime voice actors are just so soothing

I wish to state my disagreement with this statement publicly.
I mostly find my enjoyment of Japanese/English Voice actors entirely dependent on which I watched first.
So Gurren Lagann is better in English while Kill La Kill's English trailers sound retarded as shit. And Attack on Titan's English VO turned the show into fucking comedy.
Totally happened for me with Disgaea.  I played in Japanese-with-Subtitles first, and the impression I got was "These kids have young kid voices, but they also sound kinda regal.  Badass and driven."

Then one day I checked the English dubs.  Never again :o
I don't know if the voice actors did a bad job, but it just ran so counter to my headcanon.  These characters I thought were so cool were squeaky brats.
I say headcanon, because I'm pretty sure that a native speaker would have heard the same sounds I did and realized "Oh, they're just whiny brats".  At least for the first 3/4 of the game.

I prefer my headcanon better though, where they were just pompous dicks instead of annoying babies.

Edit:  Also I just watched Kaz's date with Snake recently (Peace Walker I think).  Kaz's VA sounds incredibly manly compared to the English one in Phantom Pain.  Which made an already amazing situation so much better.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:45:43 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163579 on: October 07, 2015, 02:50:40 pm »

-snip-

In my semantics class, one of the talking points was that there is actually no redundancy in natural languages (in a synchronous perspective, as in, in the language's current state at a given time), or at least, there is a tendency toward elimination of redundancy.

Now, that may seem to contradict my previous bit about redundancy being everywhere, but you seemed to interpret redundancy as having multiple words referring to the same thing, but differing by degrees of meaning, and I just went with it. What I mean here is that there is a tendency toward reduction of true redundancy - words that refer to the same thing and have no difference in degrees of meaning, attached value judgment, stylistics, etc. As in, with every usual (I mean "which is in use", dunno if this is the English term) pair of words with seemingly similar meanings, there's going to be at least one context where one is acceptable from a native speaker's perspective, while the other is not. So, there's no word pairs that have a completely identical range of acceptable contexts. If such a pair was to appear, one of the words in it would fall out of use, is what I've been taught. It seemed quite convincing.

Redundancy as you're describing it (the multiple shades of meaning thing) is just an universal for any natural language, and as such I have no strong feelings towards it one way or another. It's just how things are. I am, however, a second-year ling student, so I'm just approaching it from a less artistic perspective because that's what I'm supposed to do... I guess. I haven't figured it out completely yet.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163580 on: October 07, 2015, 03:30:53 pm »

http://soundsfromdeusex.tumblr.com/
This site is exactly as advertised.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163581 on: October 07, 2015, 04:09:01 pm »

http://soundsfromdeusex.tumblr.com/
This site is exactly as advertised.
They don't have "FUCKING GUNSHOTS" in there.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #163582 on: October 07, 2015, 04:37:00 pm »

I got my very first job today :D and it's NOT at a McDonalds :D

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #163583 on: October 07, 2015, 04:41:19 pm »

Finally got an all-around maintenance guy. House shall be less shit in the coming months.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163585 on: October 07, 2015, 05:51:45 pm »

Confirmed: I'm psychic.

Well, okay, probably not. I was listening to the radio earlier today during the time slot where people could call in with their music requests. During one song that I wasn't particularly fond of, I began singing "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" to myself as a distraction.

The very next song requested? "That one with Tom Petty and Stevie Nyx". So I got to sing it again :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: [] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163586 on: October 07, 2015, 06:09:14 pm »

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:53:38 am by penguinofhonor »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
The: [🎺💀🎺] The the, the the the the (The the)
« Reply #163587 on: October 07, 2015, 06:13:23 pm »

the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the
TTTT
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:19:13 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163588 on: October 07, 2015, 06:18:16 pm »

Obligatory
Quote from: Mark Twain or maybe not
A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #163589 on: October 07, 2015, 06:21:08 pm »

Dammit, I got all of that except the last sentence.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 10904 10905 [10906] 10907 10908 ... 13325