Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10840 10841 [10842] 10843 10844 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15790852 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: [Wob] Fate of Awoos continues. Questions asked of sheep and florida (Happy thr.)
« Reply #162615 on: September 12, 2015, 08:18:36 am »

Playing well, on the other hand...
Requires base memorization of a bunch of boring bullshit.

I personally don't play well because my priorities tend to be skewed. Most people try and get checkmate, BFEL tries to kill entire enemy team with least casualties :P

This is the problem, though most actually good people I know of say that's not true outside the highest levels.

I know how to play chess and I have a basic grasp of tactics, it's just the sheer volume of information you need to know.  It's like, getting into starcraft is hard now cause the game's matured for like 15 years and best moves for most situations have been mapped out and if you don't know them you'll get rekt.

Chess is like that but it's matured for hundreds of years.

When I say I have no idea how to play I mean I have no idea what a sicilian defense is aside from it's putting the pawn on the side forward. I have no idea what makes an opening aggressive or passive or why one strategy counters another.  It's all gibberish to me.

My strategic understanding of the game is mostly limited to getting my pawns across the board and putting my pieces in a way that the enemy loses something no matter what he does.  That's enough to beat the level 1 AI but there's a hundred levels.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:21:22 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: [Wob] Fate of Awoos continues. Questions asked of sheep and florida (Happy thr.)
« Reply #162616 on: September 12, 2015, 08:49:56 am »

This is the problem, though most actually good people I know of say that's not true outside the highest levels.

I know how to play chess and I have a basic grasp of tactics, it's just the sheer volume of information you need to know.  It's like, getting into starcraft is hard now cause the game's matured for like 15 years and best moves for most situations have been mapped out and if you don't know them you'll get rekt.

This is pretty true. I can generally beat my brother handily at any given strategy/tactics computer game, assuming it's balanced (Hun rush opplsnerf). In chess, I'll lose every time and he won't even break a sweat; because he actually cares about chess and has memorised openings and stuff, while I care more about the other games and know the meta.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #162617 on: September 12, 2015, 08:51:04 am »

Three most common playstyles of Chess, in no particular order: Go for checkmate; Capture as much as possible; Gain control of the board. In other words: Focus on enemy king; focus on lesser enemy pieces; focus on empty squares.

I tend to go with the latter style, which tends to make people salty when they have all these pieces but can't do anything with them without taking serious losses.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #162618 on: September 12, 2015, 09:26:48 am »

I did 20 pushups! Granted, my form was terrible and I had to take a break immediately, but 3 shitty half-assed pushups near the end is still 3 more pushups than I managed last time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #162619 on: September 12, 2015, 09:43:47 am »

It is exam week. Well, near the end-ish anyway. Didn't get to internet here until right now.
But I'm glad because despite it being stressy--I got to appreciate many things.
> My professor is leaving for Canada (Montreal)...PhD in Psych, and a very well-known person in our University (And by our whole school of Humanities). Spent the morning/early afternoon with her today in seeing her off at her home (Also received contact info \o/ so we can still contact each other despite being miles away!). Pretty much awesome meeting her sister too.

The knowledge that someone can unconditionally support you is very uplifting.

> Received Psych Testing results--as evaluated from a colleague of said professor, and which said professor explained to me in an interview. Nothing wrong with me at all! (Although I am abnormal, by her terms ;D ) [...although the notice 'I easily get bored >_>' based on my grade results [which aren't bad at all ;3] may be a bit hard to cope with].
> Finished both volunteering movies...which I hear will be uploaded onto youtube, which I only knew after I submitted them... (o fish. My name will be known .-. I am not prepared for this). Granted, it has the support of the Psych team I'm with...but my naaaame x_x (ie "When you've got the skill--use it. You can be nervous, but remember that we'll not think less of you, so since you're a future psychologist, you have to understand how to support yourself through your anxieties.")
> Received emails from a very good friend (who emails rarely [weekly?] but with very impactful mails) ♥
Yes Bauglir. You know who I'm talking about.
> I have internets to post this! :D

> Improved on insight to steady myself in the future. Hooray understanding!
> Found an awesome set of songs to play in the background as I work. Hooray instrumental epics!
> Planned chess with [that one teammember] in the future. We're about to get the game rolling hardcore...so she can beat her cousin. x3

...Also thanks Bauglir for the Chrono Cross song notes! :3
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:49:35 am by Tiruin »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162620 on: September 12, 2015, 10:37:13 am »

This is pretty true. I can generally beat my brother handily at any given strategy/tactics computer game, assuming it's balanced (Hun rush opplsnerf). In chess, I'll lose every time and he won't even break a sweat; because he actually cares about chess and has memorised openings and stuff, while I care more about the other games and know the meta.

I feel like it's hardly even a game anymore, once people start metagaming on that level. If the majority of players are just running memorized strategies by rote, what have they really got there? It speaks of a love of winning, rather than a love of the game.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #162621 on: September 12, 2015, 11:00:35 am »

I feel like it's hardly even a game anymore, once people start metagaming on that level. If the majority of players are just running memorized strategies by rote, what have they really got there? It speaks of a love of winning, rather than a love of the game.

If you can perform an intricate strategy perfectly, then you're not playing against good enough people.

EDIT: Weird wording.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:06:47 pm by Laptisen »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #162622 on: September 12, 2015, 11:28:41 am »

Glad things are good for you Tiruin! Internets are good, and so is chess, and so are emails from neat people. And Chrono Cross' music, like goddamn. >___>

Also, looks like I get to visit DC later this Fall for a competition thingamajig. Should be fun. I've never been so I'll have to make time to stop by the crypto museum at least.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #162623 on: September 12, 2015, 11:46:55 am »

It's easier if you think of it as being like cooking. Yes, I once read a recipe for cottage pie, but that doesn't mean that every time I make a meal with cottage pie in it it's by memorisation. Knowing openings and general paths of play is much the same for chess, which is why we say cooking and chess are both skills even though both often involve recipes.

And as Lapt says, if you're running off your strategy perfectly every time you need to start playing in a higher bracket, one where your opponent will see your strategy and use it to screw you over.

That ability, to see what your opponent is doing and react, is basically the key to playing chess well and the skill that's honed by learning openings and responses.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #162624 on: September 12, 2015, 12:15:55 pm »

Also, dinosaurs have the most delicious meat of any animal. This is a fact.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #162625 on: September 12, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »

I wish they would release an online Games of the Generals but I'm not sure how they would convey the sheer amount of bluffing in that game in an online environment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162626 on: September 12, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »

Got a flu vaccine, didn't faint on the desk. Woot!
Surprised my health insurance actually covered it. Can't seem to trust this state-sponsored insurance for jack shit.

Also new underwear, which i needed. Comfy.

I'm completely broke now :3
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162627 on: September 12, 2015, 05:51:44 pm »

new thing for American colleges. may be useful and a step in the right direction at least.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162628 on: September 12, 2015, 10:42:40 pm »

My mum found all my old Yugioh cards. Now I'm wondering if I should throw away the knock-offs.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #162629 on: September 12, 2015, 11:46:00 pm »

There are knockoff yugioh cards?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 10840 10841 [10842] 10843 10844 ... 13325