Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10656 10657 [10658] 10659 10660 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15767093 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] The deadly game of poi (Happy thread? Poi! B.. Baka!)
« Reply #159855 on: July 01, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »

Well, that's not how they all work. The flip side of microtransactions was later-era Runescape, where all the updates were for the lottery that gave out stuff you could otherwise obtain or for useless cosmetic crap.

Still had a terrible impact on the game, though.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159856 on: July 01, 2015, 03:56:07 pm »

Spoiler: Response to Not-happy (click to show/hide)
This.^^ Kojima knows what the hell he's doing.

Get. Fucking. Hype.
Hoho~
Someone doesn't understand how icrotransactions work. If they are for useful items, the game is designed so that not paying becomes frustratingly slow. See: Facebook games. Most if not all of them.

Yes, if you ignore the multiple explicit statements that the game was designed without microtransactions in mind (which implies that it's a Konami afterthought, which considering Kojima's relationship with Konami suggests to me that they'll be nearly useless out of spite, heh)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #159857 on: July 01, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »

It's been proven time and again that cosmetics is a very profitable microtransaction strategy, in Japan. I think Koreans are the ones who generally go for the pay-to-win which is basically pay-to-not-grind.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159858 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:42 pm »

It's been proven time and again that cosmetics is a very profitable microtransaction strategy, in Japan. I think Koreans are the ones who generally go for the pay-to-win which is basically pay-to-not-grind.
*Koreans and EA
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #159859 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:39 pm »

Yeah, I'd take paying real money for cool swags than invalidating the point of playing a game. If a game is pay to win, there's always other free games that are better.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159860 on: July 01, 2015, 09:55:35 pm »

I don't know... I feel like P2W games are basically helping the full-time employees keep up competitively with the welfare heroes.
By this point it's more about the $$-Time ratio. Some have it phenominally low, like mechwarrior, others you could grind all day and get nowhere near what a buck would get you.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #159861 on: July 01, 2015, 10:33:56 pm »

One my Skyrim mods updated and it recommends a clean install. This is a happy because I manage to squeeze more mods in. Now I'm literally clubbing seals for easy exp.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #159862 on: July 01, 2015, 10:42:24 pm »

Huh. Didn't know there was a seal mod. Only horkers.
So many horkers...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #159863 on: July 01, 2015, 10:47:42 pm »

One my Skyrim mods updated and it recommends a clean install. This is a happy because I manage to squeeze more mods in. Now I'm literally clubbing seals for easy exp.
Ooh, next you should install ome for taming turtles, or stealing accordions.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #159864 on: July 01, 2015, 10:48:00 pm »

It's the horkers yeah. I'm using an unleveled mod and axed some of the cheaty mods that made some smithing easier. I just use some replacers instead because custom items tend to be unbalanced.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #159865 on: July 01, 2015, 10:48:33 pm »

I don't know... I feel like P2W games are basically helping the full-time employees keep up competitively with the welfare heroes.
By this point it's more about the $$-Time ratio. Some have it phenominally low, like mechwarrior, others you could grind all day and get nowhere near what a buck would get you.
Ehhh... a lot of the FtP business strategy is attracting people who will drop MASSIVE amounts of money on a game.  Many of them have a horrible rate of value for money.  Like LoL.  Just unlocking all the characters and runes (aka what would have SHIPPED with your average AAA game) costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars.  If you add skins into that, it gets even more ridiculous.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159866 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:36 pm »

Dota 2 and CS:GO seem to have worked at attracting whales just by having trading. A dragonclaw hook for Pudge goes for $144 right now, and it must be purchased with steam money (AKA monopoly money that you can use to buy video games and hats). Not only that, but any purchases on the community market for Dota 2 have 15% of the monopoly money be simply removed from the servers.

The main problem is that startup/bandwagon games can't even remotely hope to keep up with this, as it requires a fairly sizeable playerbase to begin with.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #159867 on: July 01, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »

DoTA 2 almost doesn't count because it has the most generous FtP model under the sun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #159868 on: July 01, 2015, 11:02:35 pm »

Ehhh... a lot of the FtP business strategy is attracting people who will drop MASSIVE amounts of money on a game.  Many of them have a horrible rate of value for money.  Like LoL.  Just unlocking all the characters and runes (aka what would have SHIPPED with your average AAA game) costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars.  If you add skins into that, it gets even more ridiculous.

While I don't disagree with your message and I'm not a fan of LoL, I have to point out in fairness that Runes cannot be bought with real money and characters can be unlocked at a very reasonable rate without spending money.  Money is almost exclusively spent on skins.  The cost of skins is fucking insane... but otherwise there's nothing wrong with their business model.  If people choose to spend stupid amounts of money on skins, that's their problem, and I won't fault Riot for it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #159869 on: July 01, 2015, 11:04:46 pm »

Cosmetics is the best kind of FtP business.
Pages: 1 ... 10656 10657 [10658] 10659 10660 ... 13325