Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10610 10611 [10612] 10613 10614 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15791365 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] The deadly game of poi (Happy thread? Poi! B.. Baka!)
« Reply #159165 on: June 17, 2015, 02:32:31 pm »

I used to feel happy about getting mid-80 scores, because I rarely did homework and never studied for anything. So I took it as a point of pride that I was still doing as well as people who legitimately tried.

Wow, but past me sure sucked.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159166 on: June 17, 2015, 02:45:05 pm »

I used to feel happy about getting mid-80 scores, because I rarely did homework and never studied for anything. So I took it as a point of pride that I was still doing as well as people who legitimately tried.

Wow, but past me sure sucked.

If 25% of the effort gets you 85% of the results, who's the real fool?

Yeah, I'm not a great person either.  I can't imagine what kind of parent I'm going to be.  "Don't worry son, a half-assed effort will get you almost as far as a whole one, enjoy all the time it frees up."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159167 on: June 17, 2015, 03:56:37 pm »

That's honestly the best way to live, though. If you don't care enough about something to give it your honest full effort and can do almost as well with minimal effort, why not? I finished my Bachelor's with a 3.69 GPA despite never studying beyond rereading my notes in the hall before exams and never starting a paper sooner than 36 hours before it was due (save for my senior thesis). I was one of the "best" employees at my main workplace despite doing nothing beyond showing up on time every day that I was scheduled to be there, doing what I was supposed to at a basic level of competence, and being slightly subtle when I went off to nap somewhere on slow days.

The really brilliant part is that so many people don't even bother with the bare minimum (or suck at life so much that their best efforts are still terrible) that just by being mediocre you will, paradoxically, be well above average. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159168 on: June 17, 2015, 04:02:24 pm »

If 25% of the effort gets you 85% of the results, who's the real fool?

Real progress is seeing if you can get the results higher without expending more than the 25%.
When your 'half-ass' is the equivalent of a high-achiever's 'busting-ass', you have become great.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #159169 on: June 17, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »

Yeah, but then I realized that my ego demands I actually try at things. The life I want isn't going to happen because of who I am, but it might happen because of what I do. So whatever pride I get from not doing things is misplaced, no matter what it says about how awesome I could be if I felt like it.

Make no mistake, though, this might well be a character flaw more than it is a virtue.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159170 on: June 17, 2015, 04:27:05 pm »

For the last four days, I was across the country, at the final round of a national mathematics competition, as a part of the ~100-person team that graded the ~200 contestants' exams. Of course, there was lots to see and do besides grade exams for twelve hours, and I had soooooo much fun there, chatting with the team members of my Bundesland (which I helped train in a training camp beforehand) and lots of other people I was already acquaintanced with (from years of math camps and math contests), and of course playing Mafia until 3am (Mafia is very popular in math camps for obvious reasons). And yes, I did also have fun grading the exams. It's a shame this competition is only once a year.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159171 on: June 17, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

The really brilliant part is that so many people don't even bother with the bare minimum (or suck at life so much that their best efforts are still terrible) that just by being mediocre you will, paradoxically, be well above average. :V
That's probably a good sign that you should get more demanding job.
...unless you like to keep things boring.

I know it would drive me mad if I had to do the same routine every day without any challenge in it, so it I just can't understand why someone can consider it "good" thing.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159172 on: June 17, 2015, 04:49:43 pm »

Check this out. It's technically in Russian, but there's very little actual speech and it's non-essential to understanding the premise.

It appears to be a cartoon made by a bunch of Russians and Frenchmen. It's just seven minutes long, but it's hysterical.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #159173 on: June 17, 2015, 05:11:06 pm »

Check this out. It's technically in Russian, but there's very little actual speech and it's non-essential to understanding the premise.

It appears to be a cartoon made by a bunch of Russians and Frenchmen. It's just seven minutes long, but it's hysterical.

Whaaaaa...
Dafuq I just watched.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #159174 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:20 pm »

Funnnnny
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159175 on: June 17, 2015, 05:32:56 pm »

That's probably a good sign that you should get more demanding job.
...unless you like to keep things boring.

I know it would drive me mad if I had to do the same routine every day without any challenge in it, so it I just can't understand why someone can consider it "good" thing.

When your life is already crowded with time-consuming and intellectually stimulating activities, work that you can do on autopilot is nice. In other words I want a fulfilling career eventually, but this is just stuff I do to pay for food, rent, grad school, &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159176 on: June 17, 2015, 06:13:28 pm »

I watched Angel Beats again today.

Now that I've seen it once and didn't spend the entire latter half crying, I was able to understand the entire underlying message of the whole show.

Life is so worth living, and to waste it not pursuing your dreams, and being with the people you love is wasting the one shot you get at it.

I've never felt so wonderful in my life before. I'm grinning and crying because I know how much happiness is out there waiting to be found, and I only need to go find it.

I hope this feeling never goes away.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #159177 on: June 17, 2015, 06:16:02 pm »

being with the people you love is wasting the one shot you get at it
Probably I parsed this wrong the first time I read it. >_________________>

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159178 on: June 17, 2015, 06:22:36 pm »

The way I wrote that was a little awkward, I suppose.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159179 on: June 17, 2015, 06:23:28 pm »

source 2 is born, and with it, custom games are reborn

i am going to mod the shit out of this game
Pages: 1 ... 10610 10611 [10612] 10613 10614 ... 13325