Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10532 10533 [10534] 10535 10536 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15904198 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] Yuudachi vs the fanpois (Happy thread? Poi?)
« Reply #157995 on: May 28, 2015, 07:16:26 am »

Also, is it just me, or did Gunner-Chan used to be called Janet? And Cinder used to be called Objective?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157996 on: May 28, 2015, 07:16:49 am »

Yeah, they changed their names.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157997 on: May 28, 2015, 07:18:41 am »

Yeah, they changed their names.
How do you do that?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157998 on: May 28, 2015, 07:21:32 am »

Ask Toady to do it, I believe.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #157999 on: May 28, 2015, 07:22:12 am »

You PM the First Among Toads, and your heart will be weighed in the balance. Should it be found wanting, you will be cast out into the void where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Otherwise he'll change your name.

The first one never happens, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #158000 on: May 28, 2015, 07:24:52 am »

Just finished my English exam.
Just two more, then I don't have to worry about school for 3 months...
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158001 on: May 28, 2015, 07:38:34 am »

You PM the First Among Toads, and your heart will be weighed in the balance. Should it be found wanting, you will be cast out into the void where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Otherwise he'll change your name.

The first one never happens, though.
The Toady One is the Ma'at?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #158002 on: May 28, 2015, 07:42:36 am »

...are you going for Egyptian mythology there? If so, Ma'at is the incarnation of order, and you are probably thinking of either Osiris or Ammit the Devourer.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #158003 on: May 28, 2015, 08:22:06 am »

...are you going for Egyptian mythology there? If so, Ma'at is the incarnation of order, and you are probably thinking of either Osiris or Ammit the Devourer.
It's O'Sirus, God of Trucks, without a doubt. His tires decide the fate of all.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #158004 on: May 28, 2015, 10:35:53 am »

Mostly unrelated: I just watched the forum update to 2.0.10.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158005 on: May 28, 2015, 10:45:40 am »

I almost asked what changed, but then I just found the changelog:
http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-10_changelog.txt
It tried to download as a zip for some reason.  Also it's the entire log, so I'll just copy the relevant portion:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay NOW I'm done procrastinating.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #158006 on: May 28, 2015, 11:02:28 am »

Might be MIA lately.

In topic related news, I've been struggling with the guitar recently but I think I'm getting close to that "it clicked" moment. People constantly ramble on about how they sat down with this finger torture device for literal hours until that moment struck them like a proverbial freight train, but I just wasn't seeing it. I think it's also true for other creative endeavors, where sufficient amounts of raw willpower are essentially indistinguishable from creative inspiration (or integrity). You can suck, but if you keep sucking, there's some scant hope of identifying why you suck and then adjusting for performance.

While I still think that "it clicked" moment is fictitious, it's deviously possible to brute force your way to success too.
There is no "it clicked" moment, as far as I know. There is no hypothetical wall where you can't understand what you're doing until you get past the wall. It's just a constant learning process. Everyone starts out sucking but by investing time you learn to not suck as much as you did in the past. The more you learn, the easier it gets to learn more. The point where you learn enough to realize that you're getting better may be the "it clicked" moment.

I'd offer tips but I don't know what it is you're having trouble with specifically.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158007 on: May 28, 2015, 11:10:50 am »

The "click" moment with guitar or other coordination skills is not about knowledge. It's about muscle memory. It's more about hitting the point that you no longer need to think about what you are doing, you just do it. This is required because conscious decision making about which note to hit cannot keep up with the speed at which you must hit notes.

There is no hypothetical wall where you can't understand what you're doing until you get past the wall.

Because it's not about understanding what you're doing. I can fully understand what I'm supposed to do to pull off an extremely complex arpeggio, but that doesn't mean that I can do it. And there are plenty of examples where I've heard guitarist friends pull off some mad shit, and you ask them how they did it, and they kind of blank out and are not actually sure. Trying to consciously replicate what they do by instinct actually hinders performance.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:23:40 am by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #158008 on: May 28, 2015, 11:22:15 am »

The "click" moment with guitar or other coordination skills is not about knowledge. It's about muscle memory. It's more about hitting the point that you no longer need to think about what you are doing, you just do it. This is required because conscious decision making about which note to hit cannot keep up with the speed at which you must hit notes.

There is no hypothetical wall where you can't understand what you're doing until you get past the wall.
Because it's not about understanding what you're doing. I can fully understand what I'm supposed to do to pull off an extremely complex arpeggio, but that doesn't mean that I can do it. And there are plenty of examples where I've heard guitarist friends pull off some mad shit, and you ask them how they did it, and they kind of blank out and are not actually sure. Trying to consciously replicate what they do by instinct actually hinders performance.
Oh, well yeah. Muscle memory is a big part of it, but that just comes from regularly practicing. Practice a technique or song enough and you'll get it eventually. It helps to know what you should be practicing and why, or why a song is played like it is, or how the position of the fingers on the strings on the frets can go most efficiently from note to note and why, etc. When actually playing, you want to rely on muscle memory.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158009 on: May 28, 2015, 11:25:33 am »

Ruby Quest

G-od G-d

WHY DID I NOT READ THIS SOONER? I was well aware it existed, why did I not?

In other news, I'm now behind schedule on my everything.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 10532 10533 [10534] 10535 10536 ... 13327