Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10404 10405 [10406] 10407 10408 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15752866 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I for one am thrilled to hear it. The headline I saw on it a few days ago suggested he was merely injured and left me too disappointed to bother reading the article.
Of course, I'd be even happier to hear a poacher was trampled to death. Or better yet, a cattle farmer or real estate developer. In fact there are plenty of people I'd love to see get stepped on by a heffalump. :)

In my own, personal happy: when I woke up earlier it was rather cold, cold enough that I had to put more layers on, but now the sun is shining through the window and warming my butt. Thanks, sun!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Well, there's also the issue of turning the wilderness into the playground of the rich, perpetuating class differences and such.
I don't think any worker is hurt by letting rich people hunt elephants in faraway countries...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys.

Guys.

Have you ever played a video game, waited eight years, and then listened to music from it.

Because I'm listening to classic Runescape's music and holy shit this nostalgia.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, there's also the issue of turning the wilderness into the playground of the rich, perpetuating class differences and such.
I don't think any worker is hurt by letting rich people hunt elephants in faraway countries...
I think he meant propagating class differences in Zimbabwe. You know, with large chunks of the country turned into hunting grounds for Great White Hunters from rich countries.

I apologize for putting the original story in the happy thread guys. I had forgotten there's a "laugh" thread I could have stuck it in, and didn't think it fit "sad" etc.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

But the Zimbabweans profit from the hunting tourism... Whenever there's a choice between reducing class differences and helping the poor, I tend to like the latter much more. This appears to be such a case.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I think he meant propagating class differences in Zimbabwe. You know, with large chunks of the country turned into hunting grounds for Great White Hunters from rich countries.
Yes. But again, the issue's a lot more complicated than "animal-murdering hunters" or "imperialist whiteys" or "bleeding-heart activists"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

But the Zimbabweans profit from the hunting tourism... Whenever there's a choice between reducing class differences and helping the poor, I tend to like the latter much more. This appears to be such a case.
Hunting tourists probably isn't very good for reputation.

But hey, I guess these blood iPads sell for good money.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's done so well for Zimbabwe's economy so far, so why change I guess ... ? Given how much more terrible things are in Zimbabwe than other countries even in that region I'm skeptical about the trickle-down effect of hunting tourism.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I'm all for people having their own opinions on the matter but it seems kinda silly to be happy about the death.  Sure the guy killed elephants and probably would have gone on to kill many more.  But the thing is we don't know the whole story, all we know is what was reported on.  And even if they reported on everything they know, they also don't know everything.

He could have been a bloodthirsty killer doing it only for the jy of watching the animals suffer shooting to wound to draw it out as long as possible.

Or he could have donated generously to natural preservation funds, attempted to hunt only the sick, known dangerous, or infirm when possible, transported the meat to local tribes in need of food, spent a large percentage of his funds to organizations that work to rehabilitate injured animals or animals that were illegal pets... or any other forms of comparatively moral high ground.

No I'm not a fan of killing for sport, and I don't know if he did any of those things.  But there are plenty of things a person like that could do to do what he enjoys (if misguided) and not be a complete uncaring asshole in the process.  For all we know there could be more elephants alive today from his efforts than he killed.  We just don't know.  All we know is that he died doing an activity that he knew the risks to that just happened to be controversial.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Majora's Mask is awesome. Harder than OoT, deeper gameplay, interesting core mechanic.

The only problem is that I'm currently about halfway through Snowhead, and Day 3 is approaching fast. :(

Ah well, as long as you beat the dungeon you get the quickmode for next time. I mean, to get gold dust you have to beat it D1, so it's not like you're not gonna do Goht again.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

v a > v a >

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

v a > v a >

seriously, it's like some people didn't play this game for years as a child and know it like the back of their hand. I feel like I've had to explain the song of half time to at least a dozen people.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

v a > v a >

seriously, it's like some people didn't play this game for years as a child and know it like the back of their hand. I feel like I've had to explain the song of half time to at least a dozen people.
That day when you can't get the Song of Healing out of your head is the day you know you're never going back.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

My project isn't finished but the part I planned to do today is finished and I can do the rest between classes tomorrow. 

Also seeing all these posts complaining about parents doing dumb thing has given me a second thing to be happy about:

You know how good it is to not live with your parents anymore?  so fucking good.
Shoes...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Those moments when you wonder how Putnam made those upside-down carets for a minute or so.

i think i might be a bit burnt out
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 10404 10405 [10406] 10407 10408 ... 13325