Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10364 10365 [10366] 10367 10368 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15789220 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/09/touhou-official-english-translation/
So apparently there's gonna be a western release of touhou.
In other news, all of the Macross franchise has been cleared for official English translation, the X-Men will be appearing in the next Avengersverse film, and Youtube has stopped heeding DMCA takedown notices.
So basically everything is becoming right with the world again?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

oh hey I have a key in TF2

THAT EXPLAINS WHY SO MANY PEEPS ARE TRYING TO SCAM ME

i understand everything now

(it's a mild annoyance at worst)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

GIBE
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

what the fuck is a key in TF2
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

Keys unlock crates which give you random crap. Like hats. Team Hattress 2.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

This morning, work gave me an ACTUAL COMPUTER to work on instead of a Citrix terminal.  It's like a huge weight has been lifted.  OMFG

I got half a day's work done in a little over an hour.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:25:43 pm by penguinofhonor »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Aha I've got you now scammer! Nigeria is a federal republic, not a monarchy! They don't have princesses, they have presidents!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:25:49 pm by penguinofhonor »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:15:47 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Pff, there's less than twenty pugs there.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

Can you tell me more about Guildwars 2 from personal experience?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Guild Wars 2 basically breaks down like this:

Story: 6.5/10. More to it than a lot of MMOs, rotating events which last for a season or so and can make permanent or semi-permanent changes to the game; the one that started around when I joined was a complete invasion of the main hub city which dislocated the population and services to a refugee camp/fortress and turned the city into a wrecked event warzone.

PvE Content:
8/10 on first character playthrough, 4/10 on characters after your first. There's the aforementioned events, and a lot of the PvE content is fairly varied and interesting. There's random timer-based events all over the place alongside more traditional quests. It's fairly fresh and fun the first time you play it, and you'll get nowhere near 100% completion without intentionally trying to do so.

It's also boring as shit every time after the first. Once you've experienced it once, all that PvE has going for it is farming the timer-based boss events for loot and the global events.

Thankfully the way the bosses are designed is sensible. They're not instanced or anything, everyone in a zone is working together and in contact (unless you hit the population cap on the area, which is pretty darn high, in which case everyone past that goes into a second spillover instance). As long as you use a timer-tracking page you'll have no trouble running a boss train on any of the good servers. People are generally friendly and helpful, everyone contributes to the fight, and each player gets their own loot if they contributed to a kill.

There are also a plentiful scattering of parkour courses you can find and run for decent loot.

Leveling/Building: Super fast. You can get a Warrior from starting out to the level cap in a week (though admittedly War is the easiest to level). It's also pretty easy to get high-end gear just in the course of playing, though the very-slightly-better-stats-than-everything-else-plus-super-shiny-graphics legendaries are absurdly expensive. Thankfully they don't offer much more than the stuff you can pick up for a couple GP, apart from the appearances.

Pretty much every class can be built in six ways or more, depending on how you stat them and what gear you buy. Restatting is pretty much costless and instant. Ferex, the same core "wizard" class (the Elementalist) can be built as a healbot, a long-ranged blaster, a CC monster, a melee tank, a melee DPS, and a generalist, just off the top of my head.

PvP: 5/10. There's a distinction to be made here. When someone says 'PvP' in reference to GW2, they're talking about the limited TDM/zone-capture stuff where it's 4v4, 6v6, &c. You play with special PvP gear, and I suppose some people find it interesting, but it bored the shit out of me.

WvW: 10/10. If you're playing GW2, chances are it's some combination of this and no subscription fees. World vs. World is the biggest and best feature GW2 has. It's three-way server-wide objective-based competitive multiplayer. The entire population of three servers are pitted against each other on a series of large maps. There are tangible rewards for different successes, as well as season-based tournaments that grant you much nicer rewards for completing various objectives.

That said, a big part of WvW is making sure that you join the game on a server good for it. I'll go ahead and make my pitch here: I'm on Sea of Sorrows, a Tier 2 NA server; we were 4th highest ranked when I joined and are currently at 6th highest (though we'll be taking 5th back from Yak's Bend soon) and during the Spring 2014 tournament were consistently getting rotated in to fight Tier 1 servers. What that means is this:

1. We have a server-wide teamspeak server with channels for each WvW map.

2. Regardless of when you get on, there's going to be at least 30-40 people in teamspeak as well as at least that many pubbies, and pretty much always someone willing to pop their commander tag on and lead a group. When I was playing back in Spring 2014 we had near-100% uptime on our WvW groups because our population is split between NA and SEA; most evenings we had one commander running in Eternal Battlegrounds (the main map), another in the Borderlands, and a third in Edge of the Mists (the overflow/waiting map), each with a solid 60-70 people listening on teamspeak and that many again training behind the commander tag.

There are also a number of different ways to play in WvW; you can roll with a large group to get into fights for loot and objective-taking. You can scout and provide intel for a large group. You can build as a solo roamer and run around picking off isolated individuals. You can play a Mesmer and hide inside a tower or keep when an enemy server takes it, then use your portals to get fifty people past the gates.

There's resources and supply caravans to deliver them; you can use those to upgrade the towers and keeps you hold, or to build siege equipment. Terrain can block damage, there's a down/revive/finisher system, and everybody gets stamina-limited dodge rolls.

It's hands-down the best PvP experience I've ever had with an MMO. If you get GW2, this is almost certainly going to be your bread-and-butter entertainment. Here are a couple clips of what good WvW play can look like:

Solo Thief play, Solo Mesmer play, typical zergs, small-group anti-zerg play, Rifle Warriors: useless and hilarious.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:21:39 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

I learned about the existence of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright today.

I... I think... I'm... oh gosh, I need this game.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@FD: Man... I never thought I'd say this, but GW2 actually sounds fun.
MMOs with good PVP are something I've always loved, even if I've rarely had a chance to play them. I think the only one I really got a chance to play a bit of was Warhammer Online, which was pretty damn fun from what I saw of it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 10364 10365 [10366] 10367 10368 ... 13325