Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10343 10344 [10345] 10346 10347 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778251 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

I was thinking about all those developments in gaming hardware/virtual reality thing - in particular, treadmill- or sphere-based walking simulation mechanisms (though it works with about any type of VR tech), and I had this line of thought:
For some time at least, it's going to be neither affordable nor practical to own such a thing for private use - I mean, there are now only prototypes, they cost a lot to produce, and most people can't just install a gigantic rotating sphere in their living room. However, if one owned some sort of public entertainment space, and such devices were commercially available, one might buy a number of them to rent them out.
So, virtual reality arcade games! For some reason, that thought is entertaining. I think I'd like it if that happened.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

*coughs* They've actually been doing stuff like that since like the late 90s/early 00s, Av. My first experience with VR stuff was actually with a (temporary) setup like you're describing that had set up shop for a few days in a mall, something like a decade and a bit ago. Hasn't really caught on yet, but the tech is also only just recently starting to make notable steps in regards to usability, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

It would be nice if Battletech simulator pod style things came back into fashion. I tried one out at a Con last year and it was awesome.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it if the nearest internet cafe had full VR pods with the soft-sphere treadmills or whatever.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know, I know. The usability thing is kind of the big thing here. Which, seeing as...

the tech is also only just recently starting to make notable steps in regards to usability, so...

...is why we might get to see more of these things in a reasonable time.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind it if the nearest internet cafe had full VR pods with the soft-sphere treadmills or whatever.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind, too.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

I was thinking about all those developments in gaming hardware/virtual reality thing - in particular, treadmill- or sphere-based walking simulation mechanisms (though it works with about any type of VR tech), and I had this line of thought:
For some time at least, it's going to be neither affordable nor practical to own such a thing for private use - I mean, there are now only prototypes, they cost a lot to produce, and most people can't just install a gigantic rotating sphere in their living room. However, if one owned some sort of public entertainment space, and such devices were commercially available, one might buy a number of them to rent them out.
So, virtual reality arcade games! For some reason, that thought is entertaining. I think I'd like it if that happened.

Japan, man. I bet you my last five bucks of roubles that there are exactly those things in Japan operating already or opening this year or next one.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

I wouldn't be surprised. They're probably the one place where Arcades are still highly popular.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldn't be surprised. They're probably the one place where Arcades are still highly popular.
Also in China, AFAIK.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Arcades still show up in every amusement park I've been to in the U.S. It doesn't seem impossible that a popular one like Silverwood here in Idaho would be willing to invest in it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Oh, I assumed she was a goddess.

And man tears? He hugged someone's legs and proceeded to blub and beg IIRC.
Manly as fuck m10

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Arcades still show up in every amusement park I've been to in the U.S. It doesn't seem impossible that a popular one like Silverwood here in Idaho would be willing to invest in it.
Every single damn cinema in Ireland has one, as far as I can tell.
Of course, I haven't been to every single one, so take that with a grain of salt.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

That's a good point, actually. Most of the cinemas I've visited also had a few arcade games out in the lobby.

Fuck it, let's pool our resources and open a VR cinema. VR and nothing but VR. Giant rotating spheres EVERYWHERE
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fuck it, let's pool our resources and open a VR cinema. VR and nothing but VR. Giant rotating spheres EVERYWHERE

I have 238 roubles right here! Will that be enough?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

As long as that beats $10, you're contributing more than I ever will :P
I make Spellcrafts!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Arcade stuff's still around a lot in the US, but the use of them have declined pretty drastically, from what I've seen, as has new developments re: software and whatnot. And at least in this area, the larger ones -- dedicated arcade businesses and whatnot, as opposed to stuff in amusement parks, bowling alleys, etc. -- have mostly closed shop. There used to be three or four managing pretty well in the closest large-ish city in my area, and now there's maybe still one laying around.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 10343 10344 [10345] 10346 10347 ... 13325