Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10342 10343 [10344] 10345 10346 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776725 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

I will call it... The Odyssey!
-xXHomerfangboi420yoloxX445
I'm not gonna say that you didn't blow my mind.

But as far as I know none of those stories actually featured before that one.

IMHO, retelling a story (like someone rereleasing the translation of little red riding hood) isn't fanfic, and adapting mythology (like Dresden or Atticus) isn't fanfic.
But something like 'Odysseus goes shopping' is fanfic.

Artistic integrity is hard and any new universe is inevitably going to be a cobbling-together of other universes... But guess what, that's not plageurism. Most assignments are cobblings-together of other peer-reviewed literature, and you Even Have to Show That It Is. Mithril happens everywhere even though Tolkien had it first.
The Scandinavians had the svartalves before we had the dwarves, and even still we've been slowly borrowing more and more from stereotypes to refine them into the short rugged mead-guzzlers we have today (as a MASSIVE counterpoint to the original svartalves).

Point being, that's not actively copying the characters and setting from another person's work. Hell, even forgotten realms and baldur's gate books which all have the exact same (DnD) universe feature completely new and complex characters every time.

I would also NOT consider 'Every story written in the real world' as a fanfic, or a 'borrowed universe'. That's dumb.
Seeing as the greeks considered their real world to be constantly full of the bickering and petty confusions of their gods, I say it doesn't count.

Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, Divine Comedy ring a bell?
Divine Comedy is full of so many original ideas that even the church had trouble with it. Dante is a completely original character too.
Iliad and Odyssey are basically a biography done greek-style (Y'know, with 400% more monsters and everyone being Big Damn Heroes). As seen above, not fanfic.
Aeneid I unfortunately can't comment on, as I haven't read it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Dante is literally a self-insert.

Also, lots of official Star Wars works.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Self-Insert is absolutely not stolen from another person's work then.

Yes, Authors were approached and asked if they could do the next step in the canonical universe of Star Wars.
Branden Sanderson didn't do 'fanfic' of Robert Jordan.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

The Aeneid is very similar to the Odyssey, with the major difference being that Aeneas is less of a hyper-competent cunt.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Half of the Dante's Inferno seems to be on Florentine politics. I.e his self insert talks about his concurrent opinions on Florence with all the Florentines that show up in hell. The people he didn't like, of course, being tortured terribly for their horrible crimes, making it one of the earliest revenge fics.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

While I generally despise the situation on the textbook market, with exorbitantly priced new editions, and monopolistic market practices, I have to say that some of its side effects can make me happy. I've just received a 500-page, A4-sized book packed to the brim with graphs, tables, equations and general information about the physics and chemistry of the solar system. I bought it for 2 (two) bucks off some college library that presumably felt compelled to replace it with a newer edition.

It feels just as absurd that I can have all of it for this cheap, as it is absurd to be required to pay $150 for a brand new, latest edition copy.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

I just finished Gravity Falls' season 2 half-finale (I'm calling it that because they're going ton hiatus.)

To quote a greater man than me: *blush*

well someone's going to have to solve the issue of all this semen all over my computer
TMI
hmm yes

all this 100% real male reproductive fluid is just

sluicing down into the innards of my monitor

fuck now it's getting on my keyboard son of a bitch

HUSSSIIIIIIIIIEEEE

Except with Alex Hirsch instead of Hussie and hopefully no semen.

haha I actually forgot I posted that

So you know what I discovered is the actual best part about being fat

The fact that even though I drank an unnecessary amount of liquor last night, I feel NO HANGOVER

AHAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT NERDS

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Watched an episode of Seinfeld followed by a few episodes of Better Call Saul.
Now, it's time to sleep.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

The fact that even though I drank an unnecessary amount of liquor last night, I feel NO HANGOVER

AHAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT NERDS
When I drink, I get "drunk enough for me to stop" after like two drinks.

And I'm 250-60 lbs.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Some friends came over and we played Sticks and Stones mode on Black Ops 2, then we started playing MW2 and I just forgot how much fun MW2 can be. First we played normally, then we started doing rocket launchers and knives only, and then we did riot shield wrestling.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Could Homer's Odyssey be considered fanfiction?
Ok, let's take Odysseus here, add some saucy sex scenes with Nymphs, Goddesses and witches.... Check. Next let's add a tragic backstory... Ooh! Genius soldier of Athena fresh from his victory at the great battle of Troy who... Wants to go home, but can't because the gods are being a dick to him. And he can swim for 20 days and nights, kill stags in one thrust, trick his enemies with his superior intellect and is a skilled carpenter, diplomat, tactician, strategician and lover. And he has a special bow only he is strong enough to wield. Wait, that's sounding a bit Mary Suish. Why don't I make him saaaaad, I know, I'll have him start crying in the opening scene because everyone he knows is very dead/very distant and it was his fault somewhat his fault his fault he didn't stop his men from making it their fault and causing this mess.
Oh, and tsundere Achilles and Ajax in the afterlife.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wait, when did he have sex with a nymph? I don"t recall reading that. As for having him crying.... how many characters didn't blub like little girls in that book?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

There was a decent amount of fanfiction written based on Don Quixote back in the early 1600's. A guy called Alonso Fernández de Avellaneda (who may or may not have actually been called that or even been a single person) even wrote a widely circulated "part two." As is traditional with fan fiction, it was generally considered to be poorly written and contrary to the spirit of the original. Cervantes hated it so much that when he wrote his own sequel, he had the characters make fun of Avellaneda and his book on numerous occasions.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Could Homer's Odyssey be considered fanfiction?
Ok, let's take Odysseus here, add some saucy sex scenes with Nymphs, Goddesses and witches.... Check. Next let's add a tragic backstory... Ooh! Genius soldier of Athena fresh from his victory at the great battle of Troy who... Wants to go home, but can't because the gods are being a dick to him. And he can swim for 20 days and nights, kill stags in one thrust, trick his enemies with his superior intellect and is a skilled carpenter, diplomat, tactician, strategician and lover. And he has a special bow only he is strong enough to wield. Wait, that's sounding a bit Mary Suish. Why don't I make him saaaaad, I know, I'll have him start crying in the opening scene because everyone he knows is very dead/very distant and it was his fault somewhat his fault his fault he didn't stop his men from making it their fault and causing this mess.
Oh, and tsundere Achilles and Ajax in the afterlife.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wait, when did he have sex with a nymph? I don"t recall reading that. As for having him crying.... how many characters didn't blub like little girls in that book?
They were man tears m9, and Calypso's a sea nymph.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Oh, I assumed she was a goddess.

And man tears? He hugged someone's legs and proceeded to blub and beg IIRC.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In a manly, Greek fashion.
Pages: 1 ... 10342 10343 [10344] 10345 10346 ... 13325