Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10341 10342 [10343] 10344 10345 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776580 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Well, I managed to get straight As this grading period. So that's nice.

And I really wish we were close enough to the ocean to actually go to a beach...
The closest coast to us is 3 and a half hours away. It's also on the Gulf of Mexico, which is supposed to generally not be great for swimming/surfing/other seaside activities.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Yah I don't like the idea of fanfic, but not as Yoink does from an author's perspective. Sure, 80% of writing a book is dreaming up the worlds and characters in your head, and trying to interweave the lore behind your setting and the motivations within it, so it could be quite annoying if someone else slaps a 20% on your 80% and gets recognition for it.

But I feel like it's evidence towards a backwards trend in our respective imaginations. We can no longer make up our own things, so we steal and butcher other people's (Some people really do ruin fanfic with their Mary Sue characters, misread characters and awful exposition, but if they have that little talent then they probably need to steal).
Can't muster the brain to explain myself properly, but it's like "Make up your own durn characters, especially if the author isn't done with that universe yet".

Although I've heard some people say that Embers is better than Legend of Korra.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

They're taking characters and plotlines that I've created and doing their own thing with them.
Defacing the author's creations and twisting them to fulfil their own twisted desires. Gosh, now I'm getting angry just on behalf of this hypothetical author. I don't understand how anyone could not see why an author might object to this.

That's an excessively negative and inflammatory way to say that. I can't even come up with an analogy for this. You just took the concept and used the most inflammatory words possible to make it sound bad.

Uh, wait, lemme try.

They're taking innocent living things and doing their own thing with them.
Defacing the original intention and twisting them to fulfill their own twisted desire. Gosh, now I'm getting angry just on behalf of this hypothetical banana tree. I don't understand how anyone could not see why a banana tree might object to this.

They're taking a game's content that someone created and doing their own thing with them.
Defacing the developer's work and twisting them to fulfill their own twisted desires. Gosh, now I'm angry just on behalf of the Toady One. I don't understand how anyone would not see why the Toady One might object to this.

But I feel like it's evidence towards a backwards trend in our respective imaginations. We can no longer make up our own things, so we steal and butcher other people's (Some people really do ruin fanfic with their Mary Sue characters, misread characters and awful exposition, but if they have that little talent then they probably need to steal).

Horseshit. Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid, Divine Comedy ring a bell? In fact, the vast majority of literature before the 1600s were completely unoriginal and writing based on pre-existing universes. Originality is bigger now.

The only difference is that there are websites for fanfiction instead of having to subscribe to a zine or a pulp magazine and/or just never publish it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:54:59 am by Putnam »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

The closest coast to us is 3 and a half hours away. It's also on the Gulf of Mexico, which is supposed to generally not be great for swimming/surfing/other seaside activities.
Not good for surfing in most places on it, at least when the weather's not trying to kill you. Rest of it's pretty alright, or at least was back before oil spills and whatnot.

Used to be fine for swimming and lounging about in the water, at least when the jellyfish weren't around, and the fishing was at one point pretty good. No clue what it's like nowadays, though, this was years back -- despite living either ~an hour or literally walking distance from the gulf for the last few years, it's probably been like half a decade or better since I've been to the beach. Don't like sunburns, or screwoff-huge jellyfish, or riptides, or sand, or... well, most of the everything a beach entails, anymore.

Still. There is a reason a lot of the gulf area is known as a fairly high level vacation spot, and it's not just because of the copious amounts of alcohol and other drugs.

Though @ Tack, nah, at the worst it's just being more blatant about it nowadays, coupled with maybe a bit higher overall output (computers are really good for writing, ahaha!). We've been doing fanfiction since before we had writing, and spent a lot of time in the interim period functionally just filing names off other people's works. Honestly, I see more innovation and experimentation -- greater imagination -- coming out of fanfiction than I tend to out of published stuff. Generally less polish, but not having to adhere to editing standards and publisher overlook and whatnot gives a lot of wing to the metaphorical authorial bird. Most people use those wings to fly into windows and oncoming traffic, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

okay now i have the feeling in my chest that says "dude you're actually angry right now"

so since this is the happy thread I will drop out and only continue on this topic if DIRECTLY addressed with a question that needs answering and will only answer if I can do so without seeming inflammatory (and will say that I cannot if I cannot).

I'll try to get this statement out in the least inflammatory way possible:
I think bashing an entire medium is dumb, or at the very least ignorant or not thought out well.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Putnam will you still post in this thread if something made you happy today?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

IIRC Even the Epic of Gilgamesh was a sort of fanfic, as there were a bunch of Gilgamesh stories in poem form prior to its writing, which the Epic then took and threaded them all together into a single story and expanded upon it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:22:10 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Could Homer's Odyssey be considered fanfiction?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Putnam will you still post in this thread if something made you happy today?

well yeah I was talking about the fanfiction topic specifically

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All I'm gonna say is I hope you guys never get your hands on any written works I happen to publish. O_O
I mean, they probably wouldn't be good enough for anyone to want to bother writing fanfiction for anyway, but still.

Anyways! Happies! Uh... I just woke up and it's 5PM and I'm still kinda sick. I'll get back to ya on that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Probably, yeah. With the rather episodic nature of it, it might be a compilation of folklore as well.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Ok, let's take Odysseus here, add some saucy sex scenes with Nymphs, Goddesses and witches.... Check. Next let's add a tragic backstory... Ooh! Genius soldier of Athena fresh from his victory at the great battle of Troy who... Wants to go home, but can't because the gods are being a dick to him. And he can swim for 20 days and nights, kill stags in one thrust, trick his enemies with his superior intellect and is a skilled carpenter, diplomat, tactician, strategician and lover. And he has a special bow only he is strong enough to wield. Wait, that's sounding a bit Mary Suish. Why don't I make him saaaaad, I know, I'll have him start crying in the opening scene because everyone he knows is very dead/very distant and it was his fault somewhat his fault his fault he didn't stop his men from making it their fault and causing this mess.
Oh, and tsundere Achilles and Ajax in the afterlife.
I will call it... The Odyssey!
-xXHomerfangboi420yoloxX445
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But he's still not as OP as Tatsuya. Tatsuya will invent time travel to go back and star in the Odyssey before Odysseus does.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

But he's still not as OP as Tatsuya. Tatsuya will invent time travel to go back and star in the Odyssey before Odysseus does.
Of course the sister would be incestuously in love with him.
It is horrifying.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I just finished Gravity Falls' season 2 half-finale (I'm calling it that because they're going ton hiatus.)

To quote a greater man than me:

well someone's going to have to solve the issue of all this semen all over my computer
TMI
hmm yes

all this 100% real male reproductive fluid is just

sluicing down into the innards of my monitor

fuck now it's getting on my keyboard son of a bitch

HUSSSIIIIIIIIIEEEE

Except with Alex Hirsch instead of Hussie and hopefully no semen.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 10341 10342 [10343] 10344 10345 ... 13325