Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10308 10309 [10310] 10311 10312 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762623 times)

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing Evadeth Mine Eyes
    • View Profile

We can still hold out hope that he might be a deep cover liberal. Nobody can be that stupid and get into Harvard Law...right?
sounds like someone has an ax to grind againts the right but i can respect your right to hodl your own veiws
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

We can still hold out hope that he might be a deep cover liberal. Nobody can be that stupid and get into Harvard Law...right?
Ivy League schools are basically treadmills for anyone with an influential family, by my reckoning. Keep in mind that Dubya was an alum of both Yale and Harvard.

sounds like someone has an ax to grind againts the right but i can respect your right to hodl your own veiws
This is beyond politics. I don't want a loony with their hand on the nuclear button... or our fiscal policy, for that matter. Your opinion as to which would be more devastating. I'm trying to think of a good comparison for the Right's perspective... it'd be like if there was a genuine communist candidate whose speeches were dedicated to talking about the historical dialectic and how we could solve all of our problems by feasting on the entrails of the capitalists. Except that rather than being a spooky phantasm, these sorts on the Right actually get news coverage and are taken seriously.

If you want a nonpartisan example, it'd be like taking Vermin Supreme seriously as a presidential candidate.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

It's called playing politics. You say whatever you think will get you the most votes, no matter how batshit stupid insane it sounds coming out of your own mouth. He could just be an idiot, or he could just want your vote.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is beyond politics. I don't want a loony with their hand on the nuclear button... or our fiscal policy, for that matter. Your opinion as to which would be more devastating. I'm trying to think of a good comparison for the Right's perspective... it'd be like if there was a genuine communist candidate whose speeches were dedicated to talking about the historical dialectic and how we could solve all of our problems by feasting on the entrails of the capitalists. Except that rather than being a spooky phantasm, these sorts on the Right actually get news coverage and are taken seriously.

If you want a nonpartisan example, it'd be like taking Vermin Supreme seriously as a presidential candidate.
i dont agree
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

i dont agree
Okay.  :)

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Y'know, I've been wondering the same thing about Scalia for a while now. He's just so good at arguing against the positions he takes, I'm starting to believe Colbert took a cue on his entertainment career from Scalia's judicial one.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Well at any rate, Scalia isn't stupid. I don't agree with many of his decisions, but I don't think I've ever thought that he voted in the way he did because he was uninformed or blindly dogmatic.

3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Here's the thing about the US system: the national elections work on a sort of tourney system. Before the general, both parties hold their Primaries. To stand a chance in the general, a candidate must act moderately. But since (for the most part) only the hardliners of either party tend to care enough to show up to their party's primary, the primaries tend to select for the extremists. Especially in the GOP.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

That's... actually not how things have panned out? Take the last two elections: neither McCain or Romney were spectacular candidates (Romney in particular was bad), but they were quite a long way from the fringe candidates that failed in or before the primary.

e: Likewise, the party institutions aren't going to back candidates who are popular within a segment of the party but not viable in the general election. Moderate-ish candidates in presidential races are almost universally going to gain party support, endorsements, and funding over radical candidates simply because they present the best chance of winning the election.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:55:53 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Well at any rate, Scalia isn't stupid. I don't agree with many of his decisions, but I don't think I've ever thought that he voted in the way he did because he was uninformed or blindly dogmatic.
I admit, there is a significant difference - I think Cruz is stupid, and I think Scalia is merely incoherent. Bit of a derail, I s'pose, but the deep cover liberal thing is applicable to a surprising number. Poe's Law applies in politics, I guess.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Watching black and white shows on Netflix for some reason.  Been a weird day.  But wow...

First episode of the Twilight Zone is good.  It's slow (yet short), and the character exaggerates everything to a degree, but... the creepiness does build.  And the twist is unexpected.  It reminds me of the joy of reading sci-fi short story compilations.  A unique concept, with just enough buildup to give it impact.

And now I'm watching Clerks. 
"It wasn't directed at you, I was just making a broad generalization"
"You were making a generalization about broads."
Literally laughing at loud because I didn't get the pun in the first line, glad they explained it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

That's... actually not how things have panned out? Take the last two elections: neither McCain or Romney were spectacular candidates (Romney in particular was bad), but they were quite a long way from the fringe candidates that failed in or before the primary.

e: Likewise, the party institutions aren't going to back candidates who are popular within a segment of the party but not viable in the general election. Moderate-ish candidates in presidential races are almost universally going to gain party support, endorsements, and funding over radical candidates simply because they present the best chance of winning the election.
Yes, but in the initial stages, the hardliners who show up to vote propel the fringe candidates into prominence. Remember when it looked like Rick Santorum or Sarah Palin might wind up being on the party ticket? Realistically, the party would never have endorsed them, but they amassed quite a lot of attention. And in either case, a candidate changes their billing once they graduate from primaries to the general.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:04:34 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Get yer politics out of the Happy Thread, you sillyheads.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Longinus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

say whose that anime bombshell on the op she made me happy today if you know what i maen
CRUZ FOR PRESIDENT!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just arranged to get a water cooler and a supply of water delivered. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 10308 10309 [10310] 10311 10312 ... 13325