Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10254 10255 [10256] 10257 10258 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15760394 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Man, and here I can't even shoot a target two metres away from me with a bow and arrow. :-[
Honestly, and any archer will tell you this--the hardest thing is DRAWING THAT ARROW CORRECTLY.
* Tiruin remembers her really pained forearm and strained biceps.
>_>
But seriously. It takes practice. :3

Happy: That one training song from Mulan played and despite me not watching but hearing it, it gave me shivers down my spine. Plus a great inspiration boost due to the memories.

My only problem with practising bow shooting was missing all the arrows which didn't hit the target, which led to me eventually losing all the arrows I had. :(

And yay for awesome Mulan song!
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I always thought slings were cooler than bows. As in, whirl the thing around your head and send rocks careening into things. It's badass, is what that is.

I should actually get back into that. The tools are easier to acquire than those for archery, and I used to be a good shot.

The un-badass part is that stones don't cause massive bleeding and are generally moderately ineffective against even lightly armoured targets, unless you're using rocks the size of cricket balls, in which case I applaud your upper body strength.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

We used to put hay bales all around the target just in case.

Stand back a few meters, let fly, and then go looking for your arrow a meter past the bales, stripped of fletching.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

I always thought slings were cooler than bows. As in, whirl the thing around your head and send rocks careening into things. It's badass, is what that is.
Actually whirling above your head leads to horribly inaccurate shots - IIRC it's usually done by whirling the sling next to your body, in a plane that is perpendicular to the line that goes through your shoulders.

There must be a better way to phrase that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I should actually get back into that. The tools are easier to acquire than those for archery, and I used to be a good shot.

The un-badass part is that stones don't cause massive bleeding and are generally moderately ineffective against even lightly armoured targets, unless you're using rocks the size of cricket balls, in which case I applaud your upper body strength.
That's why they used lead bullets instead of rocks. There was also a common tendency to carve messages on them.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Actually whirling above your head leads to horribly inaccurate shots - IIRC it's usually done by whirling the sling next to your body, in a plane that is perpendicular to the line that goes through your shoulders.

There must be a better way to phrase that.
Coaxial with your straightened arms?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

But that sounds like your arms are straightened while you throw, doesn't it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

But that sounds like your arms are straightened while you throw, doesn't it?
Well, I wasn't sure what you were talking about either, I made a guess what you meant for it to look like.  :D
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

What he means is the radius of the circle is perpendicular to the ground and your shoulders, I think.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Horizontally, at the level of your shoulders.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile

And I can't even bend a bow, what a pity. At last I'm pretty neat when using a crossbow. And the distance one can shoot for with a crossbow is longer. I'm definitly not an elf. Yay for crossbows! (And Mulan song)

*went to search for a link to a total list of geometry terms*

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

After a little research to supplement my personal experience...

The normal technique is to whip the sling overhand like bowling a cricket ball and release. It is sometimes whirled slowly a couple of times to seat the projectile in the pouch, but not always.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

And the distance one can shoot for with a crossbow is longer
Depends on the bow. Longbows had longer ranges, but took more space and needed more training...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

And I can't even bend a bow, what a pity. At least I'm pretty neat when using a crossbow. And the distance one can shoot for with a crossbow is longer. I'm definitely not an elf. Yay for crossbows! (And Mulan song)

*went to search for a link to a complete list of geometry terms*
Fixin' things for ya.

And the distance one can shoot for with a crossbow is longer
Depends on the bow. Longbows had longer ranges, but took more space and needed more training...
Longbows are the ultimate medieval death-from-afar weapons. Crossbows are, however, rather good alternatives.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile

And they're the hardest to bend. It's an important parameter for me. Isn't there a thing like longcrossbow?...
Pages: 1 ... 10254 10255 [10256] 10257 10258 ... 13325