Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10243 10244 [10245] 10246 10247 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15748691 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Yeah, German and English are much closer together than German and Spanish. Dutch is a "germanic" language, but it split off about the same time German became high German.
Spoiler: Snazzy language tree (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure German is closer to english than Spanish is so it can't be too hard
And isn't Dutch also German based? Or am I just way off?
Dutch is like German's cute little ADHD-stricken brother.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Dutch is actually in some ways more similar to English than German. Non-gendered words, for instance.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

Yeah, German and English are much closer together than German and Spanish. Dutch is a "germanic" language, but it split off about the same time German became high German.
Spoiler: Snazzy language tree (click to show/hide)

I meant English was closer to German than it was to spanish....
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doesn't matter, the same logic holds true. :P English/German are on the same germanic branch, while Spanish is all of the way over on the  Italic Romance one.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

Doesn't english have some romantic roots?
I mean half the words in Spanish that we learned weren't too far off from English
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Aaaaand Slavic languages have their own branch and nothing to do with yours. That is probably because these languages are impractically complex to learn.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

And African languages aren't even on the picture anywhere.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be whole another tree, I presume.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Either a whole new tree or as many as four new trees. They'd be pretty stunted compared to the Indo-European one, though.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be rather interesting to see anyway.
Sigs

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

There already is a second tree, the Uralic languages, but yeah.

Problem with English on trees like that is that English is kind of a daughter of a lot of branches. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

And it gets more demented with every parent.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The tree is taken from a webcomic artist, so he only hit the language trees that show up/are related to the ones that show up in the webcomic. :P

Doesn't english have some romantic roots?
I mean half the words in Spanish that we learned weren't too far off from English
English is one of the bigger "I'm going to steal your words!" type of languages (though others certainly do it as well). Combine that with the fact that beginner classes usually hit a fair number of cognates early (since they are easier to learn/remember) and the fact that they are still distantly related, and you get a lot of cognates showing up (not accounting for the fact that they are probably the words a person remembers better after having had a "one class in high school" type of education). English/Spanish does have a rather large number of "false-cognates" though, words that sound/look similar but have totally different meanings. (A fairly basic example of this is the Spanish word 'once', which seems similar to the once in "once upon a time" in English, but in Spanish means "eleven").

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

Dutch is actually in some ways more similar to English than German. Non-gendered words, for instance.

The real reason Dutch looks so much more like English than German is that High German went through a consonant shift about a millenium and a half ago, while Low German dialects (of which Dutch is a member) didn't. So you get triplets like Eng. drink/Dutch drinken/German trinken, Eng. ship/Dutch schip/German Schiff, Eng. make/Dutch maken/German machen.

This is also why English looks more like the Scandinavian languages than German even though it's closer to German- well, that, and the huge influx of Old Norse borrowings into Old English.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 10243 10244 [10245] 10246 10247 ... 13325