Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10169 10170 [10171] 10172 10173 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796167 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [Pan paka pan~] Atagos soft fuel tanks return (Happy thread!!!)
« Reply #152550 on: February 15, 2015, 01:25:31 pm »

Forecast was for 8-12" of snow, only got about 2". For once, the local government actually got the roads taken care of timely and properly. Was going to wait until tomorrow to do laundry, but I heard it's going to be worse tomorrow. Taking the time to download some stuff to enjoy on my day off.
Do you not get snow much in your area? As a person who lives in a place that gets snow pretty regularly (Flagstaff AZ) the city has a thing where they guarantee that they will do their absolute best to have all main streets and most secondary streets cleared within 18 hours, even if it's up to a foot. Most of the time the main streets are all cleared within an hour or two (though if you need to drive in that hour things can get kinda sketchy, since they tend to do a two pass thing, one to take off all the loose snow, and another to get the harder ice at the bottom :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152551 on: February 15, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »

Umm I think those people are going to run short lives, there is quite a bit of radiation if they don't avoid the pockets, and I they're living where the above mold grows they will die in minutes
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152552 on: February 15, 2015, 01:55:11 pm »

It's really cool seeing how picturesque and lush the areas around Chernobyl are, whilst being inhospitable to human life.
I mean, plants and grass and important stuff can grow or thrive, just none of those pesky humans. :)
Nah, see, we COULD grow and thrive there, but we prefer not to be mutated cancerous abominations. OR at least, we prefer not to risk it. So the plants and animals there are probably mutating at the same rate humans would, they just don't care/don't know enough to know to care.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152553 on: February 15, 2015, 02:08:26 pm »

oh hey it's 3:00 PM and i just woke up

Blagh. Hooray for weekends.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #152554 on: February 15, 2015, 02:10:01 pm »

It's really cool seeing how picturesque and lush the areas around Chernobyl are, whilst being inhospitable to human life.
I mean, plants and grass and important stuff can grow or thrive, just none of those pesky humans. :)
Nah, see, we COULD grow and thrive there, but we prefer not to be mutated cancerous abominations. OR at least, we prefer not to risk it. So the plants and animals there are probably mutating at the same rate humans would, they just don't care/don't know enough to know to care.
Once anomalies and the like start forming there, we might think differently. Be on the lookout for bloodsuckers.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152555 on: February 15, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »

-snip-
A few things.
1) The majority of the weapons that are "retired" are only so in the sense that they aren't actually mounted on anything, and most can be brought up to operational readiness in a few weeks. Doing that lets our government appease cries for nuclear reduction without actually reducing their nuclear firepower by much, so it happens a lot. If we assume Russia is doing the same, that brings our total up to 15,075 nuclear weapons.
2) The "lethal in 8 hours" radius of a 475 kt nuclear weapon fallout is ~3263.4km2 under an average wind.
3) Humans inhabit only about 43% of the earth's land surface.

While we certainly couldn't cover the whole surface in craters, even at the height of the cold war, what we could do is make all of the inhabited land lethal to be in.

15,075 * 3263.4 = 49195755 km2 = ~33% of the earth's land surface lethal in 8 hours
15,075 * (8857.7 - 3263.4) = an additional 56.5% of the earth's land surface lethal in 3 days

Assuming we detonated everywhere at once, and disregarding the fact that if planned well multiple strikes can cause greater destruction over a large area than a single strike (and we are detonating 15k nukes at once), you'd be able to hit some 90% of the Earth's land (over double what we consider "inhabited") with enough radiation that any human living there would be dead within 3 days. While you might not be able to destroy the Earth itself, you could certainly destroy humanity in the course of a few days if given a month's notice.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #152556 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:49 pm »

On a related note, I was linked this thing some time ago. Can't remember where, but I found it quite interesting.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152557 on: February 15, 2015, 03:42:28 pm »

That thing is pretty cool in a rather scary way. I read it atleast once a year for some reason, probably to remind myself how lucky I am that some idiots didn't lose their cool all those years ago.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #152558 on: February 15, 2015, 04:09:30 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:32:39 am by penguinofhonor »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152559 on: February 15, 2015, 04:10:12 pm »

Definitely an interesting read. I liked the part about how mad people dealing with nuclear weapons generally become very sane very quickly. :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #152560 on: February 15, 2015, 05:18:05 pm »

There is one major drawback to biological weapons. Yes, they spread autonomously, but the problem is, you've got to balance two things you want that are inversely related - infectivity and lethality.

The 'best', as far as weaponry is concerned, bioweapons are the least effective ones in terms of range once used - because carriers die before they can infect too many others. The most dangerous disease has long-ass latency, so it would lay low and infect a bit before killing, but even then, killing the host is just not evolutionarily beneficial to any biowarfare agent in the long run.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152561 on: February 15, 2015, 05:21:27 pm »

Didn't Russia USSR have enough bioweapons at one point to kill the human population over several times, or were those different non-nuclear weapons?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152562 on: February 15, 2015, 05:26:50 pm »

There is one major drawback to biological weapons. Yes, they spread autonomously, but the problem is, you've got to balance two things you want that are inversely related - infectivity and lethality.

The 'best', as far as weaponry is concerned, bioweapons are the least effective ones in terms of range once used - because carriers die before they can infect too many others. The most dangerous disease has long-ass latency, so it would lay low and infect a bit before killing, but even then, killing the host is just not evolutionarily beneficial to any biowarfare agent in the long run.

Alternatively, don't kill the host but make her (also him, but less important) infertile. Would take a long while to work (bioweapons in general kinda have this problem) though, and doesn't prevent infected from, say, working toward a vaccine. But if it has good infectivity and isn't extremely obvious, you might make a good dent in the target's population down the line.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152563 on: February 15, 2015, 05:31:50 pm »

Technically, with a decent infectiousness, a *vaccine* wouldn't matter.
Also, isn't this the happy thread? :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152564 on: February 15, 2015, 05:42:06 pm »

Technically, with a decent infectiousness, a *vaccine* wouldn't matter.
Also, isn't this the happy thread? :P

Unless it had utterly ridiculous infectivity, it kinda would, I suspect. But yes, if it can infect fast enough and spread, then a vaccine would be much less effective.

Also, inventing new ways to violate the Geneva conventions makes me happy.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 10169 10170 [10171] 10172 10173 ... 13325