Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10168 10169 [10170] 10171 10172 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796117 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: [Pan paka pan~] Atagos soft fuel tanks return (Happy thread!!!)
« Reply #152535 on: February 15, 2015, 07:20:34 am »

I discovered the most metal course I can take as an elective: Infectious Diseases, Bioweapons and Bioterrorism. I am soooo taking this.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #152536 on: February 15, 2015, 08:06:47 am »

I'm jealous.

At least I have my robots.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152537 on: February 15, 2015, 08:16:03 am »

"How dangerous do you think this weapon is?"
"I think it's [level] dangerous".
"No you're wrong, you really thought it was [higher level] dangerous."

What the fuck?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152538 on: February 15, 2015, 08:41:09 am »

I detest the use of nuclear weapons as a WMD, all it does is mess with everything. Nuclear fallout and impact sites aren't all that pretty or useful for the user and much less for the target.
That and I think a 'humanity fuck yeah' conversation should start, mostly because ya know, out of any living thing in this universe we are probably the only one saying to each other,"Ok if you drop your payload of bombs large enough to kill everything on the face of our ONLY planet and home then I will retaliate with an equaly heavy bombardment, so by the end of this all there will be no life on the planet because it was either blown up or irradiated"
Actually, we overestimate our own power with that one. IIRC, even if we fired all of our nukes at once, we could perhaps kill most life on Earth- not all.

To kill all life, you have to go pretty deep. There's micro organisms in the most secluded, inhospitable places.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #152539 on: February 15, 2015, 10:36:56 am »

People also overestimate the long-term destructive power of nukes (e.g. the "nuke falls, place is inhospitable for thousands of years" trope you see everywhere in popular culture.) Hiroshima and Nagasaki are once again thriving towns nowadays.

You could design nukes so that they cause as much lasting radiation as possible, but as far as we know, nobody has.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152540 on: February 15, 2015, 10:43:18 am »

People also overestimate the long-term destructive power of nukes (e.g. the "nuke falls, place is inhospitable for thousands of years" trope you see everywhere in popular culture.) Hiroshima and Nagasaki are once again thriving towns nowadays.

You could design nukes so that they cause as much lasting radiation as possible, but as far as we know, nobody has.
Why bother using long-term area denial when the war will be decided in a day or two?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152541 on: February 15, 2015, 10:50:49 am »

IIRC the earth had at one point (probably not anymore) enough nukes to obliterate the whole surface and ptw ably coat the planet in huge craters. And there are very few things that can survive that kind of radioactive environment (the only one that really comes to mind is that weird goop growing around/in the Chernobyl reactor, which actualy lives off the radiation) and when I said kill all life I should have probably said all complex life? Would that have fit the description better?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152542 on: February 15, 2015, 11:18:33 am »

It's really cool seeing how picturesque and lush the areas around Chernobyl are, whilst being inhospitable to human life.
I mean, plants and grass and important stuff can grow or thrive, just none of those pesky humans. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #152543 on: February 15, 2015, 11:26:10 am »

I seem to recall seeing something saying Chernobyl is one of the best areas in Russia the ex-USSR in terms of biodiversity and ecological strength. It's pretty cool.

Be right back, wrecking some more nuclear power plants. :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:31:23 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #152544 on: February 15, 2015, 11:28:42 am »

I seem to recall seeing something saying Chernobyl is one of the best areas in Russia in terms of biodiversity and ecological strength. It's pretty cool.
Ukraine, technically. Or Soviet Union, if you please.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #152545 on: February 15, 2015, 11:30:53 am »

That would be more accurate, sorry. My European/Asian/Eurasian geography is terrible.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #152546 on: February 15, 2015, 11:35:20 am »

That's okay. I have to confess, I can only point out somewhat 5 countries on African continent on a blind map  :P.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:38:07 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152547 on: February 15, 2015, 11:50:11 am »

Forecast was for 8-12" of snow, only got about 2". For once, the local government actually got the roads taken care of timely and properly. Was going to wait until tomorrow to do laundry, but I heard it's going to be worse tomorrow. Taking the time to download some stuff to enjoy on my day off.

(the only one that really comes to mind is that weird goop growing around/in the Chernobyl reactor, which actualy lives off the radiation)

That's a thing? That's actually pretty awesome.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152549 on: February 15, 2015, 01:11:44 pm »

IIRC the earth had at one point (probably not anymore) enough nukes to obliterate the whole surface and ptw ably coat the planet in huge craters. And there are very few things that can survive that kind of radioactive environment (the only one that really comes to mind is that weird goop growing around/in the Chernobyl reactor, which actualy lives off the radiation) and when I said kill all life I should have probably said all complex life? Would that have fit the description better?

Obliterate the surface? Not even close. This is going to be realtively simplified, because precise figures are hard to find for obvious reasons.

Now, let's look at the maths here. Around ~60% of russian nukes and ~90% of american nukes are below or at the 475 kt range. 77% of Chinese nukes are below 300 kt. That's kilotons of TNT. Mt, megatons. A 475 kt nuke produces approximately 64 square miles of 3+ psi destruction - using the blast pressure, effectively, to demolish things.

So let's assume overall, nukes average out to 475kt. THis might be high, or it might be low, but it's an acceptable basemark. Assume a variance of +/- 50%. Looking at it, it's probably high. The bomb that hit Nagasaki was 21kt. The one that hit Hiroshima was a mere 15kt. Bombs have certainly got the capacity for more power since then, hence the high number, but having several smaller bombs tends to be more effective than a single huge one.

First, let's work out how many nukes exist at the moment.

In total, ~8860, give or take a few, if you also include Israel, India, and Pakistan, who aren't part of the non-proliferation treaty. That doesn't include weapons that are awaiting dismantlement.

567,232 square miles of 3+ psi damage.

1,474,803.2 km˛.
China is 9,596,961 km˛.

The current nuclear armament of the world, could, roughly, destroy 15% of china.

The earth has 148940000 km˛ of land. You would need ~100 times as many active nuclear weapons as currently possessed on Earth in order to hit the entirety of the Earth's landmass. Even if my maths is a bit shaky here, I would like to think it's still enough in the ballpark it makes my point.

It's really cool seeing how picturesque and lush the areas around Chernobyl are, whilst being inhospitable to human life.
I mean, plants and grass and important stuff can grow or thrive, just none of those pesky humans. :)

Nonsense. People can and do live in the Chernobyl Zone of Alienation. What's stopping more people living there is government, not radiation.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 10168 10169 [10170] 10171 10172 ... 13325