Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9916 9917 [9918] 9919 9920 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15788517 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: [=] Bay 12 cannot the box (Happy thread)
« Reply #148755 on: December 30, 2014, 06:51:45 pm »

I don't play MTG, but I think that's splitting hairs a bit, eh? It's "this creature," because that iteration of lifelink is, literally, affecting a creature. It does not say "only this creature," nor does it say "only creatures." It's merely a circumstantial wording to me, not a over-arching rule.

You can't play MTG for very long without starting to split hairs over the rules :P  But yes, I'm terrible at it.

Its not hard to figure out what the individual cards do.  When you have several playing off of each other, and the official rulings by the people who make the game... things can get weird.

Especially as every set will have several cards that completely fuck balance and/or the rules.  My 13 year old brother made a deck that could get infinite mana on the 4th turn, using cards from I think only a single cycle.  There are much worse things you can do if you use all the cards ever made and combo them with each other.  Trust me, you casually with the right people, you will get in an argument over whether some bizarre circumstance that is causing you to lose the game is legal or not.
From what what went in the official tournaments I played in (small scale, hosted at a local shop, but still authorized by Wizards), if the rules and card text (and this includes reminder text) conflict, card text has the priority.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #148756 on: December 30, 2014, 06:55:47 pm »

(and this includes reminder text)
There's the problem. Reminder text might as well be scribbled on in crayon for all it means to the rules. As somebody demonstrated earlier, the same ability can have different reminder text on different cards, even in the same set.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:57:23 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148757 on: December 30, 2014, 07:55:56 pm »

Deathtouch works in exactly the same way as Lifelink, for what it's worth.
Well, Deathtouch and Lifelink are two completely different things, but I'm assuming that's not what you meant.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #148758 on: December 30, 2014, 08:03:56 pm »

Trust me, you play casually with the right people, you will get in an argument over whether some bizarre circumstance that is causing you to lose the game is legal or not.
Yeah. There is even one specific circumstance in which you first lose, and THEN win the game. Because of something that doesn't trigger until you lose, or something, and something that triggers off of that which makes you win. I don't remember the specifics I just remember I was mad about it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148759 on: December 30, 2014, 08:05:16 pm »

Deathtouch works in exactly the same way as Lifelink, for what it's worth.
Well, Deathtouch and Lifelink are two completely different things, but I'm assuming that's not what you meant.
He... may have meant in terms of who it can be used on and by?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #148760 on: December 30, 2014, 08:15:59 pm »

Yeah, I meant in terms of the particular bit of quibbling. It's equally viable if put onto a spell - in fact one of my silly guesses about 5 mana Wraths (in Mardu colors) for Khans was something that went:

"Deathtouch
CARDNAME deals 1 damage to each creature and planeswalker."

Also, flabort, that ought to be impossible because losing is a state-based effect (doesn't use the stack), and among its consequences are removing all cards, spells, and permanents you own from the game (so even if something triggers, it's removed from play because it can never resolve). For instance, this is why Laboratory Maniac has to be a replacement effect - it has to stop you from even making the draw that would lose you the game, because if you ever drew that card you would lose before the card ever has the opportunity to do anything. I think you've been had.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148761 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #148762 on: December 30, 2014, 10:15:16 pm »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148763 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:25 pm »

Bookmark'd.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #148764 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:02 pm »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148765 on: December 30, 2014, 11:18:39 pm »

I HAVE INTERNET AT HOME AGAIN!

Granted, it's slow, but it's there!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148766 on: December 31, 2014, 12:45:03 am »

HE LIVES
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #148767 on: December 31, 2014, 12:48:40 am »

My favorite "feature" of old CD games is that you can rip the soundtrack straight from the disc with no additional steps. MGS, Quake 1 and Quake 2 soundtracks, all on my phone for easy listening. <3
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #148768 on: December 31, 2014, 12:54:09 am »

HUZZAH

Happy: My sister has a guinea pig now

itissofriggingcutethatithinkthatitwillkillmeifilookatitagain

less than three
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #148769 on: December 31, 2014, 12:59:07 am »

Yay!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 9916 9917 [9918] 9919 9920 ... 13325