Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9915 9916 [9917] 9918 9919 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15788508 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: [=] Bay 12 cannot the box (Happy thread)
« Reply #148740 on: December 30, 2014, 04:01:03 pm »

For all you MTG players, on an actual creature that is actually getting printed:

"Instant and sorcery spells you control have lifelink."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #148741 on: December 30, 2014, 04:39:38 pm »

For all you MTG players, on an actual creature that is actually getting printed:

OMG WANT
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #148742 on: December 30, 2014, 04:42:05 pm »

It also is a 2/2 with lifelink for 1W, and has 2(U/R)(U/R): The next time you cast an instant or sorcery spell from your hand this turn, put that card into your hand instead of your graveyard as it resolves.

Fate Reforged supposedly has a theme of choices, but it's actually just "Everything is awesome!"

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #148743 on: December 30, 2014, 04:50:56 pm »

Doesn't the text for lifelike explicitly specify "this creature"?  So that would do nothing, by a literal interpretation of the rules.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #148744 on: December 30, 2014, 05:12:24 pm »

Doesn't the text for lifelike explicitly specify "this creature"?  So that would do nothing, by a literal interpretation of the rules.
Nope.
Quote from: rule 702.15b
702.15b Damage dealt by a source with lifelink causes that source’s controller, or its owner if it has no controller, to gain that much life (in addition to any other results that damage causes).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #148745 on: December 30, 2014, 05:14:51 pm »

Late to the party

Oh hey, this paper fox game thingy is pretty cool
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148746 on: December 30, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

Nope.
702.15b Damage dealt by a source with lifelink causes that source’s controller, or its owner if it has no controller, to gain that much life (in addition to any other results that damage causes).
Not some tournament ruling you got off the internet, I mean the actual rule as it has been written on cards for years now.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #148747 on: December 30, 2014, 05:27:57 pm »

Nope.
Not some tournament ruling you got off the internet, I mean the actual rule as it has been written on cards for years now.

That's reminder text. As far as rulings are concerned it's as relevant as flavour text :p.

Also, notice the reminder texts on Indestructible on the following cards:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And that's all from the same set.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148748 on: December 30, 2014, 05:29:03 pm »

I don't play MTG, but I think that's splitting hairs a bit, eh? It's "this creature," because that iteration of lifelink is, literally, affecting a creature. It does not say "only this creature," nor does it say "only creatures." It's merely a circumstantial wording to me, not a over-arching rule.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148749 on: December 30, 2014, 05:31:47 pm »

Does MTG even come with rulebooks anymore?  My roommate bought a few starter packs a while ago and they didn't seem to have any rules included.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #148750 on: December 30, 2014, 05:50:33 pm »

They don't sell the Comprehensive Rules because they're 166 pages long. Reminder text is anything in parentheses, and is italicized. It has no rules meaning*, but gives a good idea of what the rule does in most games - it's not to be used for splitting hairs at all, and is often adjusted to suit the context (such as by saying "creature" when it appears on a creature). If you've got a niche situation like this, you do actually need to look up the relevant section of the comprehensive rules.

Deathtouch works in exactly the same way as Lifelink, for what it's worth.

Also, I made dumplings out of my leftover, unbearably spicy ramen broth from lunch. They were delicious, and I look forward to seconds tomorrow. Leftover tea leaves made a fine addition to the dough, and sauerkraut is an excellent topping.

*That is, cards would be identical in the rules if they completely lacked the reminder text. This is why, for instance, you can use cards with Extort in a monoblack Commander deck - because the mana symbol appears in the reminder text, and not the card's rules text, it doesn't affect the card's color identity (which, personally, I think is inane, but that's for reasons having to do with how keywords work, not with the way reminder text works).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:54:04 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148751 on: December 30, 2014, 05:53:33 pm »

I don't play MTG, but I think that's splitting hairs a bit, eh? It's "this creature," because that iteration of lifelink is, literally, affecting a creature. It does not say "only this creature," nor does it say "only creatures." It's merely a circumstantial wording to me, not a over-arching rule.

You can't play MTG for very long without starting to split hairs over the rules :P  But yes, I'm terrible at it.

Its not hard to figure out what the individual cards do.  When you have several playing off of each other, and the official rulings by the people who make the game... things can get weird.

Especially as every set will have several cards that completely fuck balance and/or the rules.  My 13 year old brother made a deck that could get infinite mana on the 4th turn, using cards from I think only a single cycle.  There are much worse things you can do if you use all the cards ever made and combo them with each other.  Trust me, you casually with the right people, you will get in an argument over whether some bizarre circumstance that is causing you to lose the game is legal or not.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #148752 on: December 30, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »

Congrats to Victory Garden on the awards!

Haven't played the game yet, but I most definitely will.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148753 on: December 30, 2014, 06:26:59 pm »

There was an earthquake I could actually feel a few seconds ago, so that was cool.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #148754 on: December 30, 2014, 06:47:12 pm »

There was an earthquake I could actually feel a few seconds ago, so that was cool.
Not when it destroys half of your city.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 9915 9916 [9917] 9918 9919 ... 13325