Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9907 9908 [9909] 9910 9911 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15791008 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: [=] Bay 12 cannot the box (Happy thread)
« Reply #148620 on: December 29, 2014, 01:36:56 am »

....... I will force sports on them and encourage video games! This is a flawless plan
Nothing could go wrong
(Sarcasm)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #148621 on: December 29, 2014, 02:12:01 am »

Father runs experiment by having his son play through the complete history of video games up to the year of his birth starting at his 4th birthday. The result is him being able to get the hell ending of spelunky when he's only 8.
Now that kid needs to try DF
Seriously, wow. Also, I should do something like that with my kids (although the oldest already plays DS games, and has played NES games.)
Heh, another early gamer. Story kinda reminds me a bit of myself. I learned how to use the Commodore-64 when I was 2, just so I can play games (I learned so quickly that my brothers intentionally hid the instruction manuals for the games and such from me. Didn't stop me from figuring it out on my own, and making progress that outshone theirs, at least, initially (naturally, they had time and age-barrier to be able to beat my progress rapidly).). Surprised the hell out of my friends and maybe teachers (I think I got hit with an activI.Q. test, using activities to gauge my intelligence, I guess, because of that incident (they probably weren't used to the idea of kids using computers to such levels, at the time.).), since Kindergarten, when I could load games on the school library's computer on my own (seeing as everyone else didn't know how to work one).

Overall, I have faith that he'll pull something amazing in DF, provided he has a good enough idea to work with (got tough competition here. I've seen some amazing stuff made.). I don't worry about the skill in getting it done, but what would they have in mind to pull off? What ideas could we provide to give them an adequate challenge?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148622 on: December 29, 2014, 02:24:38 am »

Video Games taught me to read. I started reading novels and shit when I was four.

Heil Gaem!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #148623 on: December 29, 2014, 02:32:14 am »

My dad taught me to read so I could read the instructions for flash games on my own.

Was capable of reading chapter books in one day a few weeks later. Got a couple pages into the prologue of The Eye of the World once. (I got bored.)

Heck, one of my first words was "rectangle". I have a knack for this.

Gaem!
You're losing your touch. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #148624 on: December 29, 2014, 02:33:30 am »

....... I will force sports on them and encourage video games! This is a flawless plan
Nothing could go wrong
(Sarcasm)
Second only to the plan of beating children so that they rebel against beating and become pacifists!
Or murdering your children so that they rebel against death and become immortal!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148625 on: December 29, 2014, 02:34:02 am »

that wasn't on purpose i'm tired shaddap taw

Now, to watch The Big Lebowski for the first time!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #148626 on: December 29, 2014, 02:43:04 am »

Video Games taught me to read. I started reading novels and shit when I was four.

Heil Gaem!
Well, I learned to read from games too.
But you progressed faster, I guess.
The first Novel I read was the Hobbit, which I only read at 7 or 8.
Hmmph. I guess I do have a working inferiority gland.

However, they also taught me pattern recognition, geometry, and complex problem solving. As well as math up to 3 grades above my level.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #148627 on: December 29, 2014, 04:30:33 am »

My first PS2 game (which was probably my first console) was a collection of old sonic games
My first DS games were New Super Mario Bros and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (there's two because my brother also got a DS), which is basically the first roguelite ever soooo... :P
I got fairly far in Sonic CD until my save file vanished and then I got stuck on that goddamn water level.
I don't think I've beaten PMD either, but it's a pretty long game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148628 on: December 29, 2014, 04:37:11 am »

Heil Gaem!
I was reading before preschool as well. Had a college reading level and comprehension by the time I was 7. Although I always ended up reading the lower-level books because I felt left out from everyone else.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148629 on: December 29, 2014, 04:40:41 am »

I just watched The Big Lebowski.

what the shit just happened and why did i love it so much
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148630 on: December 29, 2014, 04:42:00 am »

Going into that movie, I thought it was just going to be a dumb stoner movie about a guy and his buddies on a bowling team.

How wrong I was.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148631 on: December 29, 2014, 04:44:38 am »

You know what I love about that movie? In the end, nothing happened. Like...There was no huge change besides
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's it! That's seriously fucking it. I had to sit for a few minutes and just... Contemplate the movie, for a bit. Same deal with the movie Clerks. Fuckin' loved that movie.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #148632 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:07 am »

Me too.

I still have two claims: first, I read the entire Dune series and the Silmarillion when I was ten. I didn't find them heavy at the time, but oddly I now find Dune heavy, possibly because I knew what to expect. The other is that I learnt to read on my own from newspapers, which meant I apparently trolled my parents who didn't know I could read (I can't remember any kind of transition phase, just suddenly being able to makes sense of words). Cue hilarity such as (in a book with no pictures) my parents asking me to read out the word "rat" and me responding "mouse". Several times. Eventually they worked out that I was actually reading the page.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #148633 on: December 29, 2014, 09:37:08 am »

So, we finally get to see Gordon Freeman's reaction to the Nihilanth. 
\o/ YAY!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148634 on: December 29, 2014, 11:08:16 am »

Me too.

I still have two claims: first, I read the entire Dune series and the Silmarillion when I was ten. I didn't find them heavy at the time, but oddly I now find Dune heavy, possibly because I knew what to expect. The other is that I learnt to read on my own from newspapers, which meant I apparently trolled my parents who didn't know I could read (I can't remember any kind of transition phase, just suddenly being able to makes sense of words). Cue hilarity such as (in a book with no pictures) my parents asking me to read out the word "rat" and me responding "mouse". Several times. Eventually they worked out that I was actually reading the page.

I complained age 3 that my sister being born meant less time for my parents to read to me, so they told me to learn to read. I did, aged 3 and a half. I read the Silmarillion, LOTR and a few other heaaaavy books at about 7. I also got a book called "the history of medicine" for my sixth birthday.
Pages: 1 ... 9907 9908 [9909] 9910 9911 ... 13325