Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9880 9881 [9882] 9883 9884 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15800438 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: [=] Bay 12 cannot the box (Happy thread)
« Reply #148215 on: December 22, 2014, 03:50:33 pm »

Marceline and PB are a great example of a gay relationship not getting treated like a straight one would. It's shoved off into backstory and relegated to less-canon sources if it's mentioned at all.
I might be jumping the gun here, but media is a reflection of culture, not the other way around. Attacking certain media for not conforming to your ideals is, at best, silly, and at worst, censorship.

Also, it's a children's cartoon, not some deep philosophical revelation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #148216 on: December 22, 2014, 04:08:47 pm »

Marceline and PB are a great example of a gay relationship not getting treated like a straight one would. It's shoved off into backstory and relegated to less-canon sources if it's mentioned at all.
I might be jumping the gun here, but media is a reflection of culture, not the other way around. Attacking certain media for not conforming to your ideals is, at best, silly, and at worst, censorship.

Also, it's a children's cartoon, not some deep philosophical revelation.
+1
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148217 on: December 22, 2014, 04:13:02 pm »

I dislike it when people blow off any semblance of criticism or analysis with "it's a children's show". That doesn't make it less important. If anything it's more important. That's the stuff that's, in part, shaping the world's leaders in 40 years.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148218 on: December 22, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »

Plus, if it's a children's show, why was there an episode that was literally a rape attempt in disguise?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148219 on: December 22, 2014, 04:24:20 pm »

It's a show made for children. It's a tasteless show for children. But it's still a Children's Cartoon.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #148220 on: December 22, 2014, 04:31:38 pm »

What specifically makes Adventure Time a "show for children" anyway? The fact that it's animated? The channel that primarily broadcasts it? The advertising? The plot? The subject?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148221 on: December 22, 2014, 04:34:38 pm »

It's a show made for children. It's a tasteless show for children. But it's still a Children's Cartoon.

That episode was not handled in any way that could be called "tasteless". There's a reason it was nominated for an emmy for outstanding short-format animation.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #148222 on: December 22, 2014, 04:35:10 pm »

@Spehss_

The primary target audience (which can be inferred from some combination of all those things you listed). I mean, it's a show for children in the same way that My Little Pony is a show for girls, so obviously that's not a terrible meaningful box to sort things into.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148223 on: December 22, 2014, 04:52:16 pm »

That episode was not handled in any way that could be called "tasteless". There's a reason it was nominated for an emmy for outstanding short-format animation.
I've never seen it, so I wouldn't know.

Either way, it's a children's show.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #148224 on: December 22, 2014, 06:14:20 pm »

Meh. The early episodes were OK, then the writers stopped making it goofy and crushed the one-dimensionality of the characters, and I stopped watching.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #148225 on: December 22, 2014, 06:26:55 pm »

Yay, this is my 1000th post :3

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #148226 on: December 22, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »

What specifically makes Adventure Time a "show for children" anyway? The fact that it's animated? The channel that primarily broadcasts it? The advertising? The plot? The subject?

I'm not exactly sure why this is a question, the show is a children's show because it is created for children, and marketed as a children's show, and referred to by it's creator as a children's show.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #148227 on: December 22, 2014, 06:43:28 pm »

I'm not exactly sure why this is a question, the show is a children's show because it is created for children, and marketed as a children's show, and referred to by it's creator as a children's show.

Nobody stops an individual of any age from watching children show. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that it is a noteworthy show, meant to be watched only by children or not. I got it all saved to a special hard drive, and if (or when) I'll have children, this will be the thing I'll suggest them to watch once they learn English good enough. Up to that time, soviet cartoons.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:49:07 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148228 on: December 22, 2014, 07:26:14 pm »

My Chinese visa just arrived. It's official. I'll be leaving for Hong Kong January 4th, stay there a few days, then head to a factory in Guangdong where I'll be setting up a production line for a week. I'm mildly looking forward to traveling to China, but the parts I'm going to are hardly the scenic touristy places, and I'll be busy all the time. I'm definitely happy about the 24-hr contractor hourly pay though. I'll make more than a month's pay in a single week.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148229 on: December 22, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »

My Chinese visa just arrived. It's official. I'll be leaving for Hong Kong January 4th, stay there a few days, then head to a factory in Guangdong where I'll be setting up a production line for a week. I'm mildly looking forward to traveling to China, but the parts I'm going to are hardly the scenic touristy places, and I'll be busy all the time. I'm definitely happy about the 24-hr contractor hourly pay though. I'll make more than a month's pay in a single week.
Hey, my dad met his second wife in China while overseeing production set up for his company.
Pages: 1 ... 9880 9881 [9882] 9883 9884 ... 13325