Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9263 9264 [9265] 9266 9267 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15755431 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: [???] What do they kno? Snoooooooooo (Happy thread)
« Reply #138960 on: August 28, 2014, 11:27:49 am »

Brother just did the ice bucket challenge XD

We put a very large bucket, by which I mean huge, that took maybe 15 mins to fill on top of one of the metal containers around our house. This was upended, and then two normal buckets also upended, on top of him standing below it.

It was hilarious  :)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138961 on: August 28, 2014, 11:34:21 am »

Passed the driving exam and will get my license next week.

Which means that I won't have to drive ever again. Unless it's important. Feels good.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #138962 on: August 28, 2014, 11:45:25 am »

I made homing projectile code.

I look at it and I realized quickly enough that it shouldn't work. Doesn't stop it. I can't avoid it. I can't even outrun it even though it goes at 1/5 my speed.

EDIT: It's just as fast as I am when I'm farther away from its origin... I should probably redefine its origin regularly so that doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:48:29 am by Putnam »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138963 on: August 28, 2014, 11:49:23 am »

I look at it and I realized quickly enough that it shouldn't work. Doesn't stop it. I can't avoid it. I can't even outrun it even though it goes at 1/5 my speed.

EDIT: It's just as fast as I am when I'm farther away from its origin... I should probably redefine its origin regularly so that doesn't happen.
It shouldn't work but does? You should probably move out of Rl'yeh.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #138964 on: August 28, 2014, 11:58:53 am »

Yeah, it was redefining its direction every time it took a turn like so:

Code: [Select]
self.velocity.direction=self.origin_pos.get_argument(self.target.pos)
get_argument being this function:

def get_argument(self,other):
        x=other.x-self.x #x and y here being parts of a position on a grid
        y=other.y-self.y
        return cmath.phase(x+y*1j)

And since the code isn't really self-explanatory, I put documentation into my Velocity class:

"""
        Direction is stored as a phase; speed is how far it will go from the origin (the point of release) every tick.
        If you think that's overcomplicating things... I don't, heh.
        :param direction: float between -pi and pi
        :param speed: float
        """

It works! But then I realized that its direction will be based on the direction of the target from the origin, not from the current position of the projectile, so I fixed that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #138965 on: August 28, 2014, 12:14:55 pm »

Nah, that's not unusual when programming things :V

In my own programming-related happy, I finished completely rewriting a major (and old and shitty) system for /tg/station.
End result:
1,246 lines added, 1,994 lines removed, 75 files changed. Which took me 23 days, although not all of those were spent coding.
The speed increase should be significant, but it's hard to profile the system in question. Either way, it's now much more polymorphic, understandable and I fixed ten (!) bugs. this should get me some mad maintainercred.
(statistics woo!)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138966 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:24 pm »

Nah, that's not unusual when programming things :V

What also isn't unusual is when those things stop working after you notice that they shouldn't.

I swear that programming opens portals to some eldritch realm whose inhabitants try to communicate with us. But all we notice is that programs occasionally return impossible values and act in ways that are contrary to all logic and reason.

At some point in the future the Great Old Ones will be summoned, but it will not be by cultists trying to end the world, instead they will come after a programmer who delved too deep while investigating why his text printing function writes everything backwards unless the text has an even number of words.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #138967 on: August 28, 2014, 12:57:33 pm »

Listening to an NPR story about animals adapting to and thriving in urban conditions, and the host says "So maybe the next summer movie should be Teenage Mutant Ninja Spiders?"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138968 on: August 28, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »

At some point in the future the Great Old Ones will be summoned, but it will not be by cultists trying to end the world, instead they will come after a programmer who delved too deep while investigating why his text printing function writes everything backwards unless the text has an even number of words.

I'm pretty sure there's a book series with exactly this premise. The name escapes me at the moment, though.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138969 on: August 28, 2014, 01:01:36 pm »

...There's a manual x_x
FINALLY I CAN ART BETTER.
That's where I learn most of my stuff. And for squares, I think there is a 'pixel' option for paintbrush or pencil tool, which you can select in the area with all the styles and patterns and whatnot. Umm. How do you get the tools bar out of the main window? Somehow all 3 windows consolidated into one, and I've no idea how to put it back.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #138970 on: August 28, 2014, 01:05:32 pm »

Go to "Windows" in the toolbar at the top and un-check "Single window mode".

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138971 on: August 28, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »

Go to "Windows" in the toolbar at the top and un-check "Single window mode".
Oh. I will try that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #138972 on: August 28, 2014, 02:02:11 pm »

FUCKING BLOOD SUCKING PARASITIC MOZZIES, DEATH TO YOUR SPAWNING POOLS, DEATH TO YOUR LARVAE! I SHALL DASH YOU UPON THE WALLS, INTRODUCE VORACIOUS PREDATORS INTO YOUR ABODES! NONE OF YOU WILL LIVE TO SEE THE DARK OF NIGHT FOR BY THE LIGHT OF DAY I WILL ROOT OUT EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU!

*Post mosquito eradication success euphoria achieved.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138973 on: August 28, 2014, 02:07:24 pm »

"We shall swat them on the beaches, we shall swat them on the spawning pools, we shall swat them in the fields and in the streets, we shall swat them in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138974 on: August 28, 2014, 02:10:31 pm »

So, I had a busted 2 foot USB mini B for both my phone and tablet. It worked sort of if it was held in the right way. It charged my phone all right but holding it in made my thumb tired after a little while when trying to art.

So I went out and got a six foot cable and man, that thing holds itself in nice and tight!

Also I picked up a logitech wired computer controller. Off brand, modelled after the PS4 controller, and the triggers on the back are a little sticky, but I got it set up with a mod to play minecraft and it works wonderfully! Also plays BL2 quite well. I think I'm going to try Skyrim out tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 9263 9264 [9265] 9266 9267 ... 13325