Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9242 9243 [9244] 9245 9246 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15924876 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: [╰(゜益゜)╯︵ /(.□. /] BURRITOTOWN RETURNS?!?! (Happy thread!)
« Reply #138645 on: August 24, 2014, 06:57:55 pm »

Also, you can do stuff like this with the rift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXov2qyZ-nc
Essentially, it's a horror game in which you're playing a horror game on your tv while sitting on the couch. This has the effect of fooling your brain into focusing on the game-within-the-game, and treating the room you're sitting in as reality. It then messes with you in the room you're sitting in.

Imagine if you played an actual horror game like that, only rarely making use of the VR room you're sitting in. Literally building a virtual 4th wall to be demolished at the game dev's leisure.

Eventually they'll make one where the virtual room doesn't do anything but you're scared the whole time that it will, and the Postmodern Horror genre will be born.
I can just see someone explaining that while high, in a slow hipster like voice "So you see, the whole time you expect that suddenly the geometry of the room you're in will turn non-euclidian, or that random objects will move on their own.  But they don't.  As time goes on you become more frantic.  You try to calm yourself by making yourself believe that that sofa is going to eat you, or that you are in a dream within a dream.  But nothing happens.  Everything is normal except for that monster on the TV trying to eat your face off, but you are prepared for that."
You could actually do better than that. You can make changes which are much more subtle. Slight modifications to your projection matrix, slight warping and that sort of thing; all over long periods of time. Enough to subconsciously throw you off, but not enough to consciously be visible.

Though really, the ultimate horror experiences will come when/if the Oculus Rift gets eye-tracking. When we look at a scene, we're actually only looking at the details of a small portion of it, with the rest being fuzziness filled in by what our brain expects to be there. Now, if you have eye tracking, you can use that in a couple ways. First, you can enhance detail only where it's necessary (vastly speeding up pretty much any game by virtue of not needing to do high-detail rendering where you aren't looking).

Secondly, you now know where and with what level of detail you can fade something into a scene someone is looking at without them noticing. So imagine, for a moment, you're looking down a hallway. Knowing exactly what you're looking at and how much detail your eyes can ascertain in any part of the image (dropping off rapidly from the central point you're looking at), the game can add a monster within your field of view, without you noticing it appear. To the player, it would appear as if the monster had always been there, but they simply hadn't noticed it despite looking directly down the hallway. They would even remember seeing down past where the monster was standing and there being no monster. But would be completely unable to remember when or how it had appeared despite never having looked away. Same goes for making things disappear.

You could violate every inaccurate expectation we have about how our eyes work and create the most amazing horror experience of any game. At that point, it's not even about some spooky monster, it's that you are explicitly violating the player's expectations about how the player's body works to inflict sheer psychological terror. It would be as terrifying as if a horror game had come out of the screen and brushed against the back of your neck.

Oh right, and by the way, eye tracking has been listed as a feature they want to bring in some unspecified future version:
Quote from: CEO of OR folks
"Imagine more cameras, and we try to get your hands in the game," he said. "You want to see your hands. You're going to want eye tracking. You're going to want mouth tracking. You really do want to be fully immersed in the game. It's not going to happen for v1 - we're probably not going to see hands for v1 - but it is going to come."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:03:34 pm by alway »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #138646 on: August 24, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

That sounds fascinating and also like something that I would never ever want to play.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138647 on: August 24, 2014, 07:08:28 pm »

Whee, finally got my sig updated to include a bit of info on my current project.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #138648 on: August 24, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »

That sounds fascinating and also like something that I would never ever want to play.
Yeah, pretty much. Though the biggest problem with that sort of thing is that it would pretty much murder the idea of Let's Plays. Because while selectively rendering detail works great for the eye-tracked person, it's going to be awful for everyone else, since most of the screen will be hopelessly low detail, blurry, or artifacted in some way as all the perceptual tricks fall over.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #138649 on: August 24, 2014, 07:21:02 pm »

To be honest, with some LPers... It might be better in the long term. This is also motivated by purely selfish reasons because LPs along with TV Tropes are the main reasons why I keep spoiling myself on perfectly good games.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138650 on: August 24, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »

So, what you guys are saying is that we're going to wind up gaslighting ourselves.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #138651 on: August 24, 2014, 07:46:02 pm »

It's only a matter of time before the graphics get good enough that you can't remember whether you're wearing the helmet or not.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #138652 on: August 24, 2014, 07:52:39 pm »

If anyone didnt know, the makers of BROFORCE had made the best movie video game of all time. Like, forever. It's called,

Spoiler: because its huge.... (click to show/hide)

Laughing my ass off while I'm jumping in midair using a minigun....

Fuck Rocket launcher assisted jump, I have a minigun. This also made a Brit turn into an American. America, fuck yah!!!!!

That is all.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #138653 on: August 24, 2014, 08:04:06 pm »

It's only a matter of time before the graphics get good enough that you can't remember whether you're wearing the helmet or not.
No, no, you'll be able to tell when you don't have the helmet on because the graphics will suck.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138654 on: August 24, 2014, 08:20:06 pm »

lots of people liked my suggestion in the littlest cheesemaker proud is a kind of happy right?
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #138655 on: August 24, 2014, 08:22:05 pm »

So, what you guys are saying is that we're going to wind up gaslighting ourselves.
That is the end-goal of VR, is it not? ;)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #138656 on: August 24, 2014, 08:34:34 pm »

Laughing my ass off while I'm jumping in midair using a minigun....

Fuck Rocket launcher assisted jump, I have a minigun.
Wasn't it... soldat, that did something similar to that? Pretty sure I used to spend the occasional CTF map minigun hovering/rocketing over the enemy lines, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #138657 on: August 24, 2014, 08:35:55 pm »

I think you just had a jetpack in Soldat.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #138658 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:20 pm »

You did have a jetpack in soldat, but one of the things you could do with some of the recoil heavy weapons (in particular, the minigun/chaingun thing) was make yourself go faster/stay up longer. There was a good handful of maps you could traverse the entire thing without touching the ground, using dakka to keep yourself aloft. Kinda' useless for doing damage, a lot of times, but potentially hella' good for flagnapping and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #138659 on: August 24, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »

Just burned some MST3K's my father dug out of his hard drive and put them onto a CD.

Titles include "The Crawling Eye", "The Crawling Hand", and "The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy".

Fun times await.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 9242 9243 [9244] 9245 9246 ... 13327