Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9026 9027 [9028] 9029 9030 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15803074 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [╰(゜益゜)╯︵ /(.□. /] BURRITOTOWN RETURNS?!?! (Happy thread!)
« Reply #135405 on: July 22, 2014, 10:14:49 am »

Ok, so I took five minutes to google, and discovered that the US doesn't require employers grant any vacation time or even holidays. That's really messed up. Up here you generally are required 2 weeks I'm pretty sure (or you can have it paid out if you're part time, or some other situations). Where I work, the unions negotiated a minimum 3 weeks paid vacation a year. And if an employer requires you work any of the major holidays, you get a nice sum of cash paid out on top of your normal pay (either 1.5x or 2.0x normal wage).
My new happy for the day is that I don't live in the US.

Recluse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135406 on: July 22, 2014, 10:20:50 am »

Technically part of this was yesterday, but I put in an order for a Roku 1 and it should be here within the next three to five days. I then spent some time looking up some of the free channels I would get on my TV with said device. Mostly b-movie channels, but I can watch Youtube and Crunchyroll with it so that's good.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #135407 on: July 22, 2014, 10:29:27 am »

Add in that almost no employers in the U.S. offer extra time off (or any concessions whatsoever) for child care.  In my 9 years working, almost all of my time off has been used up by school, doctor visits, emergencies, and the like.  I've only taken a few weeks of actual vacanation, and I've never taken two consecutive weeks.  I can't imagine how amazing that would be.

If not for FMLA, I believe many U.S. businesses could and would fire employees for having children.  I would have lost my job many times over without it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:31:43 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135408 on: July 22, 2014, 10:58:09 am »

I won't be getting paternity leave. To be eligible for FMLA, you have to work for your company for more than a year. I work in retail, and Wolfeyez is due around the holidays, so...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135409 on: July 22, 2014, 11:00:42 am »

I won't be getting paternity leave. To be eligible for FMLA, you have to work for your company for more than a year. I work in retail, and Wolfeyez is due around the holidays, so...
This is not a happy thing :c

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135410 on: July 22, 2014, 11:04:35 am »

Nah, but my company is cool enough that I'm sure I'll wind up with time off anyway. It just won't be federally protected. Hell, I might have vacation time by then.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #135411 on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:01 am »

Nah, but my company is cool enough that I'm sure I'll wind up with time off anyway. It just won't be federally protected. Hell, I might have vacation time by then.
* Descan is quite glad to live in Canuckistan.

* Descan hopes Harper doesn't gut too many more things before he's kicked out, like paid vacation :x

* Descan doesn't think you should rely on employer fiat for something like that
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135412 on: July 22, 2014, 12:05:24 pm »

* Reverie emigrated to France

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135413 on: July 22, 2014, 12:06:17 pm »

the greeks made a strawberry

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #135414 on: July 22, 2014, 12:17:34 pm »

Employers don't have to give employees time off at all? O_o
That's seriously messed up.

Here people sometimes get several months of maternity (and since recently paternity IIRC) and pregnancy leave.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:19:16 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #135415 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:13 pm »

See, in America, the employer knows best, and any 'intrusion' from the government to promote 'fairness' and 'not being an asshole and drive your workers to despair' is seen as COMMUNISM and 'corrupting the free market!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #135416 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:35 pm »

Go take your poor sweaty ass somewhere else, cowpoke. Only great American businessmen allowed!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135417 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:19 pm »

Wow, what I'm hearing here about time off in America is making me actually feel pretty good about my crappy job.  I get a total of 37 days of paid leave per year (of which 29 I can choose), plus I'm on flexi-time so in theory I can work late a few days and build up to a day off from that.  I gather people with kids can also take something like 4 weeks of unpaid "parental leave" on top of that if they need to.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #135418 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:21 pm »

Basically this is what happens when corporations are considered people and money is considered protected speech.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 9026 9027 [9028] 9029 9030 ... 13325