Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9005 9006 [9007] 9008 9009 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796894 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: [╰(゜益゜)╯︵ /(.□. /] BURRITOTOWN RETURNS?!?! (Happy thread!)
« Reply #135090 on: July 17, 2014, 11:03:37 pm »

So I just ate a raw potato, which I've wanted to do for a while. It tasted as one would expect.
You realize thats kinda poisonous for humans....
Well. Shit. At least it was washed, and only a small chunk of one.
They're not especially poisonous. IIRC the toxin is needed in doses much larger than you'd get from even several potatoes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #135091 on: July 17, 2014, 11:04:05 pm »

So I just ate a raw potato, which I've wanted to do for a while. It tasted as one would expect.
You realize thats kinda poisonous for humans....
Only if it's green. And it's just a bit toxic. You'll be sick but you probably won't die or anything.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #135092 on: July 17, 2014, 11:07:07 pm »

For the tuber it concentrates near the skin on the green parts, peel that off and you should be fine (actually deep green just toss it out or cook it high). Just for whatever god don't eat anything else on the potato plant.

Its a nasty toxin, messes with your nervous system and can shut down your digestive system.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:10:15 pm by Tellemurius »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #135093 on: July 17, 2014, 11:12:46 pm »

So apparently a joke I told at work the other day was directly ripped from Dragonball Z Abridged, and I had no idea. Heck of a coincidence, but still, I had no choice but to bring up the opposite of Christopher Walken when a coworker called something "a cruel joke".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #135094 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:12 pm »

For the tuber it concentrates near the skin on the green parts, peel that off and you should be fine (actually deep green just toss it out or cook it high). Just for whatever god don't eat anything else on the potato plant.

Its a nasty toxin, messes with your nervous system and can shut down your digestive system.

Yep. It's in the nightshade family, IIRC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #135095 on: July 18, 2014, 12:02:34 am »

Yeah, Potato, Tomato, Pepper and Eggplant, all nightshade plants.

I have a particular reaction to them, severe arthritis trigger.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135096 on: July 18, 2014, 12:23:46 am »

Scuba yesterday, scuba tomorrow, scuba the day after that.
I'm gonna grow gills and fins if this keeps up.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135097 on: July 18, 2014, 12:24:46 am »

Scuba yesterday, scuba tomorrow, scuba the day after that.
I'm gonna grow gills and fins if this keeps up.
Actually, that's the purpose of scuba gear. You don't need gills or fins. Just sayin'.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #135098 on: July 18, 2014, 12:46:41 am »

I think I learned something pretty interesting about GMing today. It's not something I'd thought about much before, but if you're trying to set up a situation in which drama potentially arises from a poor choice on a character's part, you have to be very careful about how you're doing it. You can't make the choice for them, because taking away autonomy like that is a shitty way of railroading. You can't really spring the consequences on them if they make a choice that seemed entirely reasonable, because then you wind up punishing them for caring enough to think things through. And you often can't rely on them to knowingly make a bad choice, because players generally have pretty strong incentives to make good decisions, and a level of detachment from the immediate circumstances that helps them think things through that the character might not. "Good roleplaying" can help here, but I don't like the idea of "knowingly sabotage your character's dreams" being a prerequisite for being called a good roleplayer.

So, you pretty much have to tempt them. The players, as much as the character. Which means you need to come up with something they want, but don't necessarily need. Something I hadn't really articulated, but it's good to know. Thank you, quest thread, for finally managing to get the /tg/ hivemind to really fuck up after over 200 threads, thereby sparking this realization.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135099 on: July 18, 2014, 12:51:45 am »

Oh, yes. Think of it like this: your players are actors in a play, but you're the director. The trick is to make them think that they're in charge of the story, even though they only have so many choices to make.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #135100 on: July 18, 2014, 12:57:58 am »

Aye, but to be fair there does still need to be a choice. An irresistible temptation is no temptation at all.

EDIT: The trick is just that I've realized I need to approach the choice from more than a "Wouldn't it be cool if..." perspective, and figure out what incentives will actually get players to be willing to consider doing Wrong things with characters they're hopefully already invested in.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:00:10 am by Bauglir »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135101 on: July 18, 2014, 01:02:06 am »

If you make it too obvious, though, the players suspect stuff. So, give them temptations that aren't quite what they seem. In my last gaming session, there was a giant skeleton with a giant golden throne in a ruins. After the players finally defeated the skeleton, they started to loot the room. Eventually, they decided to get pack animals to haul off the throne. Too bad it was actually a sleeping metal golem that was blocking entry into the real treasury. :3

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #135102 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:43 am »

what quest was it?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #135103 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:20 am »

I probably make things easier for DMs, then, since I will happily make decisions that I know are bad for me. The thing I tend to worry about the most is not pissing off the other players too badly.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #135104 on: July 18, 2014, 01:13:51 am »

If my current avatar doesn't give it away, it's Magical Girl Noir Quest, which is the guilty pleasure I mentioned a day or two ago. I finally caught up with it today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 9005 9006 [9007] 9008 9009 ... 13325