Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8968 8969 [8970] 8971 8972 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15798856 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [╰(゜益゜)╯︵ /(.□. /] BURRITOTOWN RETURNS?!?! (Happy thread!)
« Reply #134535 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54:03 pm »

Dammit Janet, I'm hungry.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #134536 on: July 12, 2014, 09:55:58 pm »

This title: Dedicated to Yoink and Steelmagic.
Burrito >>>>>>>> Life
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: [+2014+] HOTFIX RELEASE HYPETRAIN
« Reply #134537 on: July 12, 2014, 09:56:24 pm »

My stomach seems to be getting flat.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134538 on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:59 pm »

I just realised that there is no way to tell that this is the happy thread from the title but I've been instinctively thinking it's the happy thread by the HY in the title

also Ace Combat 5's soundtrack
I can actually understand some of the words now! Even an entire phrase! I knew that class would pay off eventually.
My major problem with that song is that I listened to it so much that I have to limit my exposure to it now.  I have that problem with all of the last level tracks for Ace Combat.  They are all just so epic. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #134539 on: July 12, 2014, 10:08:47 pm »

I found a book I'd never before heard of, entitled "Henley's Formulas: For Home and Workshop".

It's perhaps the most amazing thing that has come into my possession in the last half decade. It has recipes for the creation of mercury fulminate, horse laxatives, iridescent paper, antiseptics, shampoos, alloys I've never heard of, ink, enamel, jewelers solders and glues, cheese, ceramics of a thousand kinds, razor paste, blasting powder, perfume, analgesics (though not by that name), electroplating directions and acid formulas, dyes, metallic cements, preparation of dissolving catgut sutures, imitation diamonds, and a thousand other things.

It... It's like a book that's been filled with everything that modern people have forgotten how to do in the last 104 years. It's an alchemist's grimoire.

Granted, some of it is wrong, and some of it is dangerously wrong. Red lead is used in their wound ointment. Directions for the metallic cement involve mixing a powdered mixture of a prepared cadmium-tin alloy with 3 times its weight of mercury IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND. It has a recipe for a type of plaster cast that's designed to cause irritated sores in the skin, so that, once the plaster is removed, the sores can be wiped of their tears and "internal maladies" cleansed by "bringing the toxins to surface".  Their recipe for red enamel uses oxide of uranium. It's an amazing book, but it's also occasionally frightening. It gives directions for making a mercury fulminate, but neglects to mention exactly how explosively unstable the product is. It notes a recipe for fulminating copper crystals using a mixture of prepared copper and fulminating silver (The recipe for which is, mercifully, absent from the text) or fulminating mercury, but fails to mention that fulminating silver is so unstable that it is more likely to explode when touched than to mix. It does, occasionally, give warnings like "Always bear in mind that sulphur and chlorate of potassium explode violently if rubbed together", but that's it as far as warnings go.

It's one of the most frighteningly joyful things I've ever owned, and it fills me with the need to build a laboratory/workshop.

EDIT: Actually, I found a better example of the kind of warning found in the book, on its section on pyrotechnic magic. "If the lighted material shows a tendency to burn the mouth, do not attempt to drag it out quickly, but simply shut the lips tight and breathe through the nose, and the fire must go out instantly. In the Human Gas Trick, where a flame 10 to 15 inches long is blown from the mouth, be careful after lighting the gas, to continue to exhale the breath. When you desire the gas to go out, simply shut the lips tight and hold the breath for a few seconds. In this trick, until the gas is well out, any inhalation is likely to be attended with the most serious results."

Yes, book, I quite agree that painful fiery severe internal burns/death does qualify as a 'most serious result'. I think, however, that you might be understating things.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:20:43 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #134540 on: July 12, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »

My stomach seems to be getting flat.
It's okay to have paunch as long as your pecs are rock hard. *flex*

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #134541 on: July 12, 2014, 10:37:27 pm »

I have, quite similarly, the 1886 Pharmacopeiea of the United States of America tucked away in a chest back at home; it featured similar recipes and such medical directives as the creation of chloroform, amidst a host of other substances, salts, tonics, and the like. What I'd give to compare notes between the books!

...Its also signed on the inside page by a doctor from Minnesota (quite possibly the original owner) and contains a pressed flower and (I think) a letter. It's like a little nugget of history that I've kept closed for fear of disrupting its anachronistic message.

I'm really not trying to one-up you on this one, though I fear it looks that way. The pharmacopeiea's a touch dense, from memory, and there's only so much one can do with medicinal directives 120 years out of date. Old books are just fantastic.

I don't take it as any one-upping, I have a great love of old books and am always glad to hear about anothers findings. I found an original copy of "The Temperaments" (100+ year old book on Phrenology, complete with in depth explication of how the skull of the white European man yielded such superior mental capacity) stacked in with a bunch of lightly used bibles when I was eighteen or nineteen, and I've been hooked since.

The copy of Henley's I have is a 1927 revision of the 1907 original, so I'm less impressed with its age as the sheer practicality, daring, and ingenuity that its pages evidence. This is from an age where you could give someone the recipe for explosives and expect them to behave sensibly with them. When mercury was not feared, when you could simply buy or make things like linseed oil, powdered red lead, and Amyl Valerinate. It's a window into a different time, before lawsuits and warning labels on mattresses. I'm completely in love with it.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134543 on: July 12, 2014, 10:52:23 pm »

I have, quite similarly, the 1886 Pharmacopeiea of the United States of America tucked away in a chest back at home; it featured similar recipes and such medical directives as the creation of chloroform, amidst a host of other substances, salts, tonics, and the like. What I'd give to compare notes between the books!

I have a rather nice copy of the 1898 British Pharmacopoeia (published 1899, with inset notice of revisions) which could be interesting to compare as well. I particularly like that the taste test for cocaine is "shortly followed by tingling and numbness."

But yeah, definitely dense books. Quick references if you already know what you are looking to make and just need a quick review of the recipe. Still interesting to flick through occasionally.

Ooh, Henley's is on archive.org. A quick glance at it suggests it has a similar format to the Pharmacopoeia, but the subject matter is substantially more diverse. For reference, this is the previous edition to my Pharmacopoeia copy and is fairly similar, while this 1883 copy is the closest for the American version.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #134544 on: July 12, 2014, 11:11:10 pm »

Damn, how much do these things cost? It'd fit perfectly with my whole mad scientist/crazy wizard motif.

And give me an excuse to perform over-the-top, incredibly dangerous chemistry experiments. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #134545 on: July 12, 2014, 11:41:46 pm »

Bought some minifigs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ok, many megapixel version.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:54:08 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134546 on: July 12, 2014, 11:43:58 pm »

Methinks the image ish brokens.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #134547 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »

They're not just tiny, they're invisible!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #134548 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:17 pm »

Nah, he already ate them, he's showing us their ghosts.

Edit: Suddenly, I have the feeling that minifigs aren't what I was thinking.
But he still ate them.
Take a closer look at this text!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134549 on: July 12, 2014, 11:54:43 pm »

Damn, how much do these things cost? It'd fit perfectly with my whole mad scientist/crazy wizard motif.

And give me an excuse to perform over-the-top, incredibly dangerous chemistry experiments. :P
These things vary a lot. I used to live in York with about a dozen used book stores of varying quality. so there would often be excellent finds.

I think the most I paid for any second-hand book was £10 for a 90 (IIRC) year old bible (a nice edition of the Scofield reference bible complete with the estimated dates of events in the margins. That was somewhere in the middle for that particular store, which had a whole room of bibles, religious commentaries and tracts. I did pay more once or twice for gift quality new books (Folio Society stuff mostly) but that doesn't count.

I did pass up a $30 first (English) edition Little Red Book that some charity shop had at random, which I kinda regret.

Also found some nice early-to-mid-20th century guidebooks which made nice presents for people going to the various cities for university or holidays. IIRC those were about £5 in good condition from another charity shop. Best part of those were the adverts, especially the immediate post-war ones.

Most of the rest of mine were various pop-science books, preferably with writing in the margins. Makes them much more fun.
Pages: 1 ... 8968 8969 [8970] 8971 8972 ... 13325