Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8912 8913 [8914] 8915 8916 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15767721 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: [\_|-|_/] Kanmusu hijack lawl (Happy thread!)
« Reply #133695 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37:01 am »

Got to play the new version of D&D today.

It's...different. Not sure if I like it yet, but it was IRL and around a table so that's always fun.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #133696 on: July 07, 2014, 12:51:25 am »

it was IRL and around a table so that's always fun.
Aye.

In other news, I've decided to reread Magical Girl Noir Quest because my memory suggests that it's a happier sequel than canon. God, that's depressing, but it's something I've been meaning to do since I stopped at what's now about halfway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133697 on: July 07, 2014, 01:00:25 am »

Studio Ghibli for the win.

But I can understand people not liking anime. You just need to get the right intro to it.

Granted, my 'intro' was watching two seasons of Naruto back-to-back in Japanese with Chinese subs and not understanding a single word.
But hey, I liked the pictures.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #133698 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:45 am »

I find comedy animes better when you have no idea what they are saying.  :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #133699 on: July 07, 2014, 01:09:29 am »

My intro to anime was Ghost in the Shell, then Akira, and then Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133700 on: July 07, 2014, 01:19:26 am »

I think my intro anime was either Death Note or Black Butler.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133701 on: July 07, 2014, 01:21:06 am »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:42:32 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #133702 on: July 07, 2014, 01:59:35 am »

He he he he...  it was preemptive maintenance, but I'm not putting it up this minute.  I wanted to make sure to reboot the forums on a nice quiet night, when only Greiger was checking.

It approaches
It's FEF, not FEOF

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133703 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:31 am »

My introduction to anime was, baring a few I saw bits of on TV in the 90s, FLCL. Those of you who've seen it probably can guess how that went down.

Other than that, I've watched "Lucky Star" and "Azumanga Daio". Those were nice, slice of life, thingies.

I do get frustrated at anime's lack of creativity sometimes. Like... a really different art style or using tropes in different ways. Bucking the trend rather than following the leader.

The funniest one I watched was probably "Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt". It was very stupid and bizzare and I like a good bit of inappropriate humour.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #133704 on: July 07, 2014, 02:30:41 am »

I do get frustrated at anime's lack of creativity sometimes. Like... a really different art style or using tropes in different ways. Bucking the trend rather than following the leader.
Yeah, this is why I don't watch anything but the occasional really good stuff. The worst is when they realize they're using awful, stale tropes, and instead of rewriting it like a sensible person, they hang a lantern on it by playing up the trope even further in an attempt at some godawful parody of their own show. Especially egregious, since many of the tropes are relationship tropes, and so doing this turns their characters into cardboard cutouts; which is enough to ruin most series for me.

As for me, I started with Ghost in the Shell (aside from teh pokemans as a kid); marathon'd both SAC and the 2 movies all in a row over the course of like 3 days. That was an amazing 3 days. I was pretty much entirely alone in a deserted dorm building over our Thanksgiving week long break (week long because it happened to be between uni quarters). So good.

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133705 on: July 07, 2014, 03:48:12 am »

DID SOMEONE MENTION THE POKEMON ANIME
.... *ahem*

Anyway.
Dog update: she is back with us (I won't say "home" since we're still camping), and while she's still sick, she isn't bad enough to warrant 24-hour medical professional observation. She's on the road to recovery.

(It was noted by the vets that it's unusual for a dog her age to come around so quickly after a bout of pancreatitis.)

The only problem is that they also gave us two different oral medications for her, which we have to administer twice a day. This dog is quite stubborn about taking her pills.
Thankfully, my sister-in-law was a vet tech in the past, and she's staying with us for a couple days. She already has experience with our dog, so that's a plus too.

Also, I killed a fly.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:50:06 am by Molly Renata »
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #133706 on: July 07, 2014, 04:13:28 am »

We all know what the best anime ever is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nothing will ever compare.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133707 on: July 07, 2014, 07:14:04 am »

... my intro to anime was Eva, iirc, I think slightly before DBZ hit the states. Then Ranma, and around that point I found manga and fanfiction and the rest, as they say, is history. Haven't been doing much anime watching over the last few years, though... Kill la Kill was the last, and I never did get around to watching the last two episodes. Fair amount of manga and enough fanfiction to fill a decent, if somewhat small, library though, sure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133708 on: July 07, 2014, 07:21:59 am »

Progression: Ronin Warriors>DBZ>Trigun, Bastard!!!, etc,>age 25 (stopped watching non-sports television and practically all movies.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:42:09 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133709 on: July 07, 2014, 07:28:14 am »

He he he he...  it was preemptive maintenance, but I'm not putting it up this minute.  I wanted to make sure to reboot the forums on a nice quiet night, when only Greiger was checking.

It approaches
Made an update checker script that spams notifications as soon as the bay12games.com/dwarves page changes or fails to load. It's only for Linux, but if anyone wants the code:
Code: [Select]
#!/usr/bin/perl

sub swget {
print "Starting wget\n";
system("wget", "-o", "error.log", "-O", "dwarves.html", "bay12games.com/dwarves") == 0 or loop("wget system failure!");
open my $in, "<", "dwarves.html" or loop("swget open failure!", $!);
my $text = join("", <$in>);
close $in;
print "Wgot page\n";
return $text;
}

my $text = swget();
while(1) {
print "Sleeping\n";
sleep(30);
print "Fetching\n";
my $ntext = swget();