Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8636 8637 [8638] 8639 8640 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15786030 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: [~島風~] Destroyer loli butt special (Happy thread?!?!)
« Reply #129555 on: May 20, 2014, 07:51:51 am »

Who doesn't love the ZUNpets?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #129556 on: May 20, 2014, 07:52:39 am »

Btw I do just need to ask; why is the thread lolis? Is this something to do with your toe huus and your homestucks again? Happy thread,  explain your butt.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129557 on: May 20, 2014, 07:53:46 am »

Probably that one anthropomorphic naval warfare animu that Janet likes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #129558 on: May 20, 2014, 07:54:07 am »

I swam in the Pacific without getting killed by box jellyfish, and I'm fairly certain I avoided getting sunburned too.
Did you sting the jellyfish?
They fear my wrath.

(Also, another in what I am coming to call Taiwan Moments: There existed the buoys and rope for an anti-jellyfish net, but only upon swimming out to the edge of it and seeing fish around me did I come to discover that there was NO NET included in this arrangement. I know the killer species of box jellyfish doesn't come up to Taiwan, but the rest aren't exactly peachy...)
That sounds spot-on for China (and by extension, Taiwan). There's a strong element of "there I fixed it" over there -- not that things are fixed, but that they have the appearance of being fixed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129559 on: May 20, 2014, 08:01:00 am »

Probably that one anthropomorphic naval warfare animu that Janet likes.

It's that one. If you google the first few moon glyphs on the thread title, it leads you to a half-dressed loli that I assume is what this thread title is referring to.

NSFW, obviously.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129560 on: May 20, 2014, 08:03:48 am »

I somehow figured out that was a thing while surfing through the Gameboy Color's Battleship/Navy Blue 90 soundtrack. Vidwalking leads you to weird places, man.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #129561 on: May 20, 2014, 09:03:24 am »

That sounds spot-on for China (and by extension, Taiwan). There's a strong element of "there I fixed it" over there -- not that things are fixed, but that they have the appearance of being fixed.
I get the impression, though Taiwan is not quite like your descriptions of the PRC. Road chaos is a thing and I've nearly gotten clipped a lot, but there's an attempt, at least in theory, to follow the rules. People will break it if it seems more efficient, but otherwise it's not that kind of madness. The crosswalks are actually functional and usable, for example. Nobody wears seatbelts, though. Also, the red lights have countdown timers, which is a great idea.

It seems like practically nothing is illegal here. The drinking age being 18 instead of 21 would be the obvious thing, but there's also the fact that you can drink alcohol in the streets without issue. Alcohol isn't always exactly marked, either. Hard apple cider and soft apple cider are sold side-by-side, and the only indication that hard is hard is that it's marked as "original". A less obvious thing I noted is that 800 mg ibuprofen tablets are OTC here, and as I recall that dosage is prescription in the US. Haven't observed much else. Further, there isn't a lot of emphasis on saving stupid people from themselves, you have to keep your savvy for obviously bad ideas open in a way that the US doesn't really demand. When I first arrived, I was told by an American who was here long term that there was, quote "no cops and no crime". I was obviously skeptical of this at first, but so far its been turning out to be true, at least with crime relating to crimes that have victims. According to him, a lot of people are superstitious of stealing because of a story about a woman who died without marrying, resulting in her father leaving out valuables as bait and forcing the marriage of the thief to his dead daughter.

Food wise, I've found a few interesting things. Sugar being standard instead of corn syrup is a godsend. I'm drinking almost nothing but Coke because I can get sugar in all of it now. The exception is milk tea, which is so good I'm shocked it isn't a thing in America. It pleases my Southern taste buds perfectly. I've also had an egg and ham sandwich with peanut butter on it, yet another good idea.

I could get used to the society here. I know exactly two Mandarin phrases: Ni Hao and Xie Xie. This has been more than sufficient for all of my interactions with Taiwanese people, the gaps in understanding being filled by complicated body language. Pretty much everybody here is really friendly, at least to Americans. Chain workers still have that glazed-over dead-inside feeling about them, but hole-in-the-wall shops have gone out of their way to figure out what the strange giant white man wants from them. On that note, I'm taller than at least 95% of people here, probably more. We've only spent a day in Taipei, and foreigners don't often go elsewhere, so we get a lot of stares. Some of these people have definitely never seen white people in person before.

Patriotism doesn't show up often here, but when it's there it's pretty strong. The changing of the guard at the Martyr's Shrine has probably been the most powerful example. I've never seen an honor guard go through such complicated motions before. There are actually rust stains from the iron soles of the guard on the path they traverse because of how many times they've done it.

Also, for some reason, American and British flag patterns are really popular on clothing for younger people. At least I think they're younger. Everybody here looks fairly young unless they're old. Everybody between the elderly and college students looks the same age, the college students look like high schoolers, the high schoolers look like middle schoolers, and everybody between middle school and infancy looks the same age too.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #129562 on: May 20, 2014, 09:15:10 am »

It's the other way around, Westerners look old very fast. :I Middle school students look like high school students and high school students look like adults.

Also, you can't drink in public in the US?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #129563 on: May 20, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

Nope. Can't be drunk in public either. As far as I know, both are crimes in all 50 states. There are sometimes exceptions as to what is considered "public", but usually walking around the streets drinking will get you ticketed as soon as a cop catches sight of you.
It's the other way around, Westerners look old very fast. :I Middle school students look like high school students and high school students look like adults.
Funny you would say that, because not even a year after leaving high school my former classmates started to look disturbingly childlike to me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:21:27 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129564 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:53 am »

That sounds terrible :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #129565 on: May 20, 2014, 09:22:36 am »

xD

When you say drink [liquor] in public...you mean how?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #129566 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:25 am »

I'm guessing if you're seen holding an open bottle of [alcoholic beverage] in public, it's considered illegal. Of course, I don't live in the US.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #129567 on: May 20, 2014, 09:30:11 am »

That sounds terrible :(

It's the same in Poland. Well, kinda, it's a bit messy, the laws governing that is not a specific open container law but a law about raising children in sobriety of all things, and it's technically legal in a number of public places but policemen ticket people - illegally - regardless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129569 on: May 20, 2014, 09:31:36 am »

Here's what wikipedia has to say about it.
It's illegal to drink alcohol or have an open container of alcohol (which is seen as evidence of drinking) in a public place in a little over half of the states in the US. A public place being generally defined as any area where access is not controlled by a business or individual.

There's your summary.
Pages: 1 ... 8636 8637 [8638] 8639 8640 ... 13325