Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8593 8594 [8595] 8596 8597 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15745939 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: [┐(‘~`;)┌] The burritos are still gone. (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #128910 on: May 12, 2014, 07:06:53 pm »

How do you feel about the occasional lethal dose of radiation? According to Wikipedia, 30 grays is enough to make a human's salivary, tear, sweat, and whatever the one that makes vaginal lubrication glands nonfunctional, so I imagine it would also cause slugs to dry out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:10:06 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128911 on: May 12, 2014, 07:10:37 pm »

How do you feel about the occasional lethal dose of radiation?
I like the future possibility of having my own little genetic lumps running around at some point.
I meant directed at the area of the plants. Not yourself.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #128912 on: May 12, 2014, 07:13:08 pm »

Our office got Incredibuild up and running. Today, I did a build which utilized 107 CPU cores at a combined 357GHz. A full rebuild now only takes 5 minutes instead of 20-30! Woo! :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128913 on: May 12, 2014, 07:41:51 pm »

*stares* Is... is that cost efficient? I mean, what's your normal core/ghz amount, and how many times that did it take to get a 3/4ths to 5/6ths reduction in build time?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #128914 on: May 12, 2014, 08:29:03 pm »

*stares* Is... is that cost efficient? I mean, what's your normal core/ghz amount, and how many times that did it take to get a 3/4ths to 5/6ths reduction in build time?
So, here's how it works: Incredibuild is a distributed compiling environment. You tell your project to build through the Incredibuild client, it tells your local server machine about it. The server machine then dynamically allocates all available Incredibuild client machines connected to it between whatever build jobs are being done. As most big projects have tons of files to compile, they can trivially split off into their individual files, sent out, and compile to the intermediate files in parallel. The intermediates then get sent back to the originating client, which then does the serial task of linking them together. Those machines can then be routed to other tasks, as they can't really do anything while linking; and it reallocates machines back (though not necessarily the same ones in the pool if there's multiple builds happening) if there's more work to do later.

Now, the important thing here is that when coding, you aren't compiling all the time; in fact, it's probably only a few times a day that you need a full rebuild unless you're messing with headers deep in the solution. As a result, your machine is normally idling while you code, then goes to 100% on all cores when you build. With Incredibuild, you utilize this fact to have all clients acting as build machines. So rather than separate hardware, it simply tells every machine in the office "Hey, build Alway's code!" And in the background throughout the day, my machine and those of everyone else will also have some of their otherwise unused compute power grabbed for useful purposes. So in an office with dozens of high end workstation machines, you end up with the equivalent of a small cluster supercomputer for everyone to run their builds on. Of those 5 minutes, probably half or more is spent on the serial linking phase (much more in Release mode, as that uses optimizations which take a much longer time to link)

So basically, free computer-magic! :D aside from software license costs
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:32:46 pm by alway »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128915 on: May 12, 2014, 08:35:50 pm »

Now run DF on it. :p

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #128916 on: May 12, 2014, 08:49:43 pm »

Now run DF on it. :p
Last I checked, that was still a serial application, as Toady didn't want to engage in the Lovecraftian art form which is multithreaded programming.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128917 on: May 12, 2014, 08:59:51 pm »

Found a random ethernet cable at the library that lead into the floor. Plugged it into my laptop and got 11 more MB/s of download speed. It's 9.5 more than my old apartment's connection.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #128918 on: May 12, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »

Planted most of the garden yesterday. Got some squash, corn, peppers, chives, and spring onions(the spinning kind). Still have to plant the pumpkins and watermelons.

Good work!
Having a vegetable garden is always a good thing.
I remember the last year that we had our vegetable garden. We eventually got rid of it because the wild turkeys wouldn't stop eating stuff. There were also these enourmous, adorable green caterpillars which were about 3 cm around, which would burrow through the softer veggies, eventually completely eating them. They did absolute hell to our tomatoes.

From then on, I swore that I would be the IronTomato, and protect the garden from the tomato-worm menace.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:17:16 pm by IronTomato »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128919 on: May 12, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »

Alway, what happens if everybody compiles at once?
Also that pretty much sounds like the code version of what we had going on for rendering back at my old office, though Ours was for rendering. Yay for backburner! Though we don't have that many computers.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128920 on: May 12, 2014, 09:39:18 pm »

Planted most of the garden yesterday. Got some squash, corn, peppers, chives, and spring onions(the spinning kind). Still have to plant the pumpkins and watermelons.

Good work!
Having a vegetable garden is always a good thing.
I remember the last year that we had our vegetable garden. We eventually got rid of it because the wild turkeys wouldn't stop eating stuff. There were also these enourmous, adorable green caterpillars which were about 3 cm around, which would burrow through the softer veggies, eventually completely eating them. They did absolute hell to our tomatoes.

From then on, I swore that I would be the IronTomato, and protect the garden from the tomato-worm menace.

Then you should have eaten the turkeys. Delicious vengeance.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128921 on: May 12, 2014, 09:58:31 pm »

Alway, what happens if everybody compiles at once?
Also that pretty much sounds like the code version of what we had going on for rendering back at my old office, though Ours was for rendering. Yay for backburner! Though we don't have that many computers.
I imagine that if everyone compiles at once using every single computer you don't get any improvement at all.
That said, the odds of that happening at any given time seem rather low.

E: Found a few SMBC comics that I don't remember reading at all. Dey were funny.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:08:44 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:22:50 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128923 on: May 12, 2014, 11:32:01 pm »

I imagine that if everyone compiles at once using every single computer you don't get any improvement at all.
If everyone compiled on a single computer, then they'd all be able to actually punish people who choose stupid variables and write scrap code.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #128924 on: May 13, 2014, 12:01:08 am »

Exam on Wednesday. I have tomorrow off, which I will use to study. By which I mean, relax utterly, for this has been a strategy that has stood me in good stead for many years. I've been taking days for this a lot this year, which is a bit worrisome, but damn if they don't help.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 8593 8594 [8595] 8596 8597 ... 13325