Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8421 8422 [8423] 8424 8425 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778321 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: [wot m8?] avin a giggle m8? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #126330 on: April 11, 2014, 06:01:34 pm »

I imagine putting in a few non Latin-alphabet letters would also help against a lot of dictionary attacks, though it depends if the password can use those.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126331 on: April 11, 2014, 06:02:01 pm »

There is no such thing as overkill, only open fire and reload.
Best maxim.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126332 on: April 11, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »

Best maxim.
Eh. I'd rather not waste ammo on that which does not need ammo wasted upon. Shit's expensive.

Passwords is possibly similar. If hypothetically each new letter or number put into your password increased the crack time exponentially, so a 1 letter password would take less than a second, a two letter would take a second, three letters, a minute, four letters, half an hour, five letters, an hour, six letters, half a day and seven letters, a day.

The difference between a 25 letter password which will take 2 years to crack and a 69 letter password which will take 40 years to crack is overkill.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126333 on: April 11, 2014, 06:12:52 pm »

Just bought a Raspberry Pi! I have no idea what I'm gonna use it for (maybe a web server or something), but I wanted one of those things all the time anyway and having no idea what to do with a Raspberry Pi is still better than having no idea what to do with a bunch of Amazon vouchers about to expire.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126334 on: April 11, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »

I got accepted into Guelph. Plus a 2k scholarship, though I am unsure if the scholarship is a sure thing or if I am merely given a chance for it. Woo~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126335 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:17 pm »

I have a lengthy anecdote to share with you, Happy Thread.  I don't know if there's really a moral to it, which is what makes it an anecdote.  Maybe it'll come to me by the time I'm done, and it's a kind of cautionary tale for you young-ish folks just getting out into the world of Complicated Financial Stuff.

When I went off to college in 2005, I got a loan for one semester of student housing.  I was told, fresh out of highschool with no major financial experience, that the loan wouldn't require payment or generate any interest until six months after I was no longer a full-time student.  Cool.

I decided to go to a different school the next semester and moved back to my family.  Literally a week after the next semester ended, I started getting calls and noticed from some debt collector on the other side of the country who proceeded to explain in very stern language that I had actually signed for two separate semesters of housing loans, that they were due past immediately, and had already racked up more charges, penalties and interest than the original value of the loan(s).  When they couldn't even produce a copy of my contract, let alone the one I may or may not have signed, I calmly told them to fuck off and... basically spent two years ignoring their phone calls, figuring someday after I struck it rich I'd be able to either pay them off or counter sue or something.

In 2008 I had cause to look into getting a regular non-student loan and found out my credit score was like 500, because my entire credit history was one totally unpaid loan.  I'm told this is bad.  Then another thing happened in 2008 some of you may remember: the banking system shoved its collective head up its ass, and a lot of lenders and debt collectors who had built their business model on rooking people for shitty loans suddenly collapsed.  A few months into 2009 I got a letter from a different company (also across the country) stating that ownership of my debt had changed and I now owed the original value with nominal interest, due to start paying no sooner than when I was no longer a full-time student.  I like to think stiffing that first company on their outrageous terms personally contributed to their going underwater as punishment for their greed.

After I graduated and then eventually struck it rich in Adult terms (i.e. got a job that paid more than my living expenses) I paid off the much more reasonably priced debt.  This also counted as my entire credit history, since nobody would even talk to a underemployed nobody with an unpaid loan.  I figured this would speak to my favor and to my untrained eye, my credit report looked great with one fully-paid item.  1/1 = 100% Awesome, right?  Now further in time, my apartment lease is coming up so I got a wild hair up my ass to look into buying a condominium.  For the uninitiated, that's when you legally buy the inside of an apartment while paying ridiculous amounts of money to someone else to maintain the outside of it.  After getting the high-pressure-with-a-smile sales job I was reaffirmed in my suspicion that realtors are evil, especially mother-daughter teams of realtors.

I also signed the papers and agreed to put down an offer at the asking price, because I was so bewildered by the whole process that I didn't want to do any arguing, for fear that there might be some super secret law that as soon as you talk to a realtor you have to agree to everything they say or they'll be given ownership of all your money forever.  That sounds silly, but talk to anyone who's tried to buy a place and they'll describe the same first time fear.  I only did it because there's a clause to change your mind and back out within seven days, having only paid the collective $500 or so dollars just to get your foot in the door.

By the next morning I had decided to back out, but figured I keep going into the backout period and pay the $500ish just to see what else was involved and get a better idea of my financial status.  Then the lender told me I was denied the mortgage application.  Why?  I don't actually have a credit history.  Either because of the type of loan or the wacky circumstances of its management, my old student housing bill counted as being paid-in-full at issuance, back in 2005.  Which is too long ago to count as "recent credit history".  The realtors politely said to call again when I have a line of credit and hung up on me, with no mention of the opening costs I never got around to paying them.

In summary: In the entire third of my life that I've technically been an adult, I've interacted with the world of Complicated Financial Stuff exactly twice, was screwed over both times, and both times the system failed in my favor.  Still not sure what to make of that, except that I think I'll just continue to pay cash for rental properties for a little while longer.  Certainly makes me happy telling the story.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126336 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:38 pm »

Best maxim.
Eh. I'd rather not waste ammo on that which does not need ammo wasted upon. Shit's expensive.

Passwords is possibly similar. If hypothetically each new letter or number put into your password increased the crack time exponentially, so a 1 letter password would take less than a second, a two letter would take a second, three letters, a minute, four letters, half an hour, five letters, an hour, six letters, half a day and seven letters, a day.

The difference between a 25 letter password which will take 2 years to crack and a 69 letter password which will take 40 years to crack is overkill.
Well, part is that it's a big password, the other is that it makes me laugh when I type it. Also, password characters are not exactly as expensive as bullets.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126337 on: April 11, 2014, 06:26:56 pm »

A funny password is a memorable password.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #126338 on: April 11, 2014, 06:45:17 pm »

Best maxim.

how did you manage to attribute that to me

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126339 on: April 11, 2014, 06:52:30 pm »

I got accepted into Guelph. Plus a 2k scholarship, though I am unsure if the scholarship is a sure thing or if I am merely given a chance for it. Woo~

I did my undergrad at U of G. *high five*
If you've heard any rumours about Guelph having the best on-campus food available, they are entirely true.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126340 on: April 11, 2014, 06:53:26 pm »

Best maxim.

how did you manage to attribute that to me
I probably screwed it up because I'm on my phone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #126341 on: April 11, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »

I'm typing with a sock on mhy lefgt hand and man is it making me fatfinger but it isn't that bad isn't that something.

Also it's disproved my hypothesis on how I touch type. Hmm.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126342 on: April 11, 2014, 07:37:18 pm »

-snip-
Funny.

A friend of mine had no credit history, so he just took out a personal loan, bought a massive TV and paid it off, and then he was good.

I seriously wonder how much a debt sells for. 50% of the original?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126343 on: April 11, 2014, 08:11:39 pm »

I think I finally solved the persistent memory leak problem I've been having. It's good not to have to use my RAM usage as a crash countdown anymore.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 8421 8422 [8423] 8424 8425 ... 13325