Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8151 8152 [8153] 8154 8155 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762583 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: [ᴕᴥᴕ] Happy thread, destroyer of browsers. (happy thread)
« Reply #122280 on: February 19, 2014, 05:51:38 pm »

Vector, you really need to just sig whatever delicious looking food is your avatar whenever you change it, so I can stop asking.

Because they're all awesome, and usually exotic.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #122281 on: February 19, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »

The questions may lead to a predilection for certain answers. When you ask about "should this person who admits this thing be allowed to do that thing" it places the answerer in a position of hypothetical authority and the subject of the question as a lurker who has had a veil reluctantly stripped away. "Just how wrong is this" is definitely a leading question, especially when there is no answer for "I have no business telling people how to live their lives" and "homosexuality is great!" Need better question-writers.

Their conclusion skips a logical step. They assume that being homophobic is stressful; perhaps actively excluding people from your tribe is a soothing behavior, building community bonds with the people you aren't excluding. They simply cannot claim that their study has anything to do with stress. All they can claim is what their data shows. They refer to "existing studies" but I'm not seeing those quoted. Their study group may have had unusually lower levels of stress (or higher) than the norm for some other reason, so that any increased stress from homophobia is obscured.

Who administered the test? I assume there would be a difference in answers if an extremely effeminate male administered the questionnaire vs. a (stereotypically-assumed-to-be-straight) masculine one.

Also what was their population? People in a mall? College students? High school students? Perhaps their study group is physically biased in some way. How many of these people claimed to be heterosexual but were somewhere other than the vanishingly small percentage of "completely hetero" on the Kinsey scale? How many outright gay guys answered after claiming to be hetero? Did their testing occur in an anonymous, safe environment where people felt willing to tell the truth?

And I don't see cause of death. I see a jump from "homophobes die faster" hand-in-hand with "homophobes have more stress" to "people with more stress have more cardiovascular problems". How many of those people died in accidents? Perhaps homophobia is correlated with risk-seeking behavior? How many of those deaths were stress-related and thus relate at all to the stress-prejudice link they're trying to assert?

Just how did they "adjust for mortality differences based on health" etc. without quoting and pulling actuarial data from the many studies that have reasonably proven those numbers? I feel like there's a huge data transformation happening that can be fiddled with one way or the other. How did they handle outliers? Even if they didn't set out to prove a preconception, which is to say, a prejudice - people can get it wrong just by making mistakes.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #122282 on: February 19, 2014, 05:52:44 pm »

I would venture that stress is also a factor.  Getting all worked up and angry over other people being different from you isn't really a healthy habit.  Maybe you guys have never noticed how a bigot's body language and facial expression seizes up with tension when someone dares tarnish their perfect homogeneous vision of the world...

Ninja'd... I hadn't actually read the study.  Just saw the discussion about it.  Didn't know it actually concluded stress as a factor.  I realize that anecdote and science don't mix, but I don't think I've ever seen a prejudice challenged, without the one who holds it getting very obviously tense.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:57:46 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122283 on: February 19, 2014, 06:06:11 pm »

Hah. I got 'full hetero' on the Kinsey scale, despite answering in the affirmative to being open to intimate activities with my gender.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #122284 on: February 19, 2014, 06:08:02 pm »

I say never try to come to any meaningful conclusion from a single study. Especially if that study confirms your preconceived notions.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122285 on: February 19, 2014, 06:11:57 pm »

Assuming everything else is equal, it's probably a symptom rather than a cause. I'd wager that it's more along the lines of people who are homophobic are more likely to hold other hate-filled views, and they get a lot of stress from those. :P Especially if the cause of early death is cardiovascular.

Edit: Assuming there even is a correlation, could be a bad study yeah.

Editedit: I too did not care to read it. :3 Just going off the other peeps in da hizzle yo.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #122286 on: February 19, 2014, 06:20:24 pm »

My guess is that people who are homophobic tend to come from certain areas, and people in those areas tend to be slightly shorter lived.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122287 on: February 19, 2014, 06:24:20 pm »

I doubt they took homophobic people from one area and non-homophobic people from another area and compared them.

Not only would that be stupid to introduce bias like that, but it'd be even harder than to just ask people in a single area (to keep geographical bias to a minimum) about their views, and then watch their average death ages.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122288 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:00 pm »

Or... Now hear me out here, there is a ancient order of homo-shinobi who are secretly killing rednecks and making it look like natural deaths. So be nice, gay ninjas might be watching.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122289 on: February 19, 2014, 06:28:53 pm »

NINJAS?!

* Descan goes pillaging on the Japanese coast.

fucking ninjers husslin' in my turf

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122290 on: February 19, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »

Or... Now hear me out here, there is a ancient order of homo-shinobi who are secretly killing rednecks and making it look like natural deaths. So be nice, gay ninjas might be watching.
Is this from that series where they dressed as bunny men to infiltrate night club? I think I saw it while back.

Edit: club, not glub. Ok, sleepy time now...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:38:46 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #122291 on: February 19, 2014, 06:33:57 pm »

... night glub? Atlantis is involved, now?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #122292 on: February 19, 2014, 06:34:36 pm »

Is this from that series where they dressed as bunny men to infiltrate night glub? I think I saw it while back.
Did they kill rednecks?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #122293 on: February 19, 2014, 06:36:36 pm »

Really, my major issue with the term 'homophobia' is that it is a misnomer in countless ways. Ignoring the total disregard for etymology and taking it as it is meant to be taken, it still accuses anti-gay people of fearing homosexuals. While this may be true in some cases, by and large it is the equivalent of calling abortionists 'babyphobics'. If it is meant to indicate hate, that still is largely incorrect. I, personally, think of homosexuality as 'wrong' for a number of reasons which I shall not detail in the interest of keeping this thread as non-political as possible, but I neither hate homosexuals, shun them, or presume to tell other people how to live their life. Now, 'gay marriage', an oxymoron in and of itself, is a different issue altogether, but again, not going into it right now.

The questions in the study seemed to have an overly-broad definition of 'homophobic', which is my major issue with it.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #122294 on: February 19, 2014, 06:37:17 pm »

I dunno about you but I'm hella afraid of babies.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 8151 8152 [8153] 8154 8155 ... 13325