Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8140 8141 [8142] 8143 8144 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15767018 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: [ᴕᴥᴕ] Happy thread, destroyer of browsers. (happy thread)
« Reply #122115 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:11 am »

Due to it being race week where I am, work has gotten slow enough (I was told there might not be anything for me to work on tomorrow, and today became an errand to pick up my updated work attire) I can officially call it a bye week for the time being.

What can I do to fill in a week? Probably watch Pokemon get beaten by the internet.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122116 on: February 17, 2014, 11:16:59 am »

Make a cheese bagel, stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
The cheese become semi-melted, and it tasted gorgeous.
Once it's semi-melted, stick some pepperonis on it. It's awesome.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122117 on: February 17, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »

Make a cheese bagel, stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
The cheese become semi-melted, and it tasted gorgeous.
Once it's semi-melted, stick some pepperonis on it. It's awesome.
We are lacking in the pepperoni department.
Sausage works well too.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122118 on: February 17, 2014, 12:08:57 pm »

Hmm... Don't like the factoids at the end though.
I don't need global warming all up in my face. I want it to ruin humanity a few generations from now.

I wouldn't worry about global warming in the least. The calving of that iceberg was a natural occurrence and I'm sure it calved because it was shrinking. To say that it shrunk quickly in the last 10 years means little, especially since it was the largest recorded calving and they didn't say how much of the iceberg was left when it calved. I think they're sensationalizing it to get people to back environmentalists (...and companies that 'happen to' sell environmental goods and services).

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122119 on: February 17, 2014, 12:37:28 pm »

I think they're sensationalizing it to get people to back environmentalists.
I have to point out that ice that breaks off smelts faster than continous block, especially if it drifts to south, and smaller ice cover reflects less sunlight off and allows more heat absorbed in to the water. That's why shrinking ice is considered big problem.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #122120 on: February 17, 2014, 12:42:21 pm »

I also have to point out that I doubt there's as much commercial interest tied up in pushing "green" products than there is in protecting markets that are damaging to the environment...

I can't dig up any hard info right now from work, but I've seen reports showing how hundreds of millions have been spent on PR efforts to marginalize and subvert legitimate science on climate change.  The opposite of what you're describing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122121 on: February 17, 2014, 01:02:22 pm »

I can't dig up any hard info right now from work, but I've seen reports showing how hundreds of millions have been spent on PR efforts to marginalize and subvert legitimate science on climate change. 
*cough*Luntz*cough*
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122122 on: February 17, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »

Besides, what's the worse that can happen if the environmentalists are wrong and we listen to them?

Total economic collapse I think, is the worst. Pulling out of oil/gas/coal too fast and going in to renewables in bone-headed or too-fast ways. (Like reports of Germany) Or not being able to find substitutes for oil-based products like plastics and fertilizer. (<--- this one worries me, anyone hear anything about renewable-based plastics and fertilizers?)

Worst that can happen if they're right and we do nothing?

Massive die-off of the eco-system, coastal provinces submerged, billions dying from displacement and starvation/dehydration, wars over scarce resources... And total economic collapse. From everything going to shit.

I know which apocalypse I'd rather see: The one we (I) have a better chance of surviving :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:00:42 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122123 on: February 17, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »

Actually the oil-based plastics thing isn't exactly an issue yet, since oil will still last a long time (at least enough to fuck up the environment five times over), and making plastics from oil doesn't really contribute to CO2 production. And I'm pretty sure I've already heard of bioplastics, some of which even being biodegradable.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122124 on: February 17, 2014, 02:13:06 pm »

I thought there was still a good deal of CO2 production in the extraction of oil, and in the creation of plastics?

At any rate, even if plastics are good, fertilizers are a little buggering. Not only are they hard to make without Oil (right?) but they can be, in and of themselves, pollutants. Algae blooms and wot wot.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122125 on: February 17, 2014, 02:17:18 pm »

...bioplastics, some of which even being biodegradable.
Actually, most bioplastics currently in regular use are ~95% biodegradable, and are made around "skeleton" of regular plastic (or equivalent). Or at least that's true for those biobags we use in professional kitchens...
They can't be used (or it's not practical) on their own yet.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122126 on: February 17, 2014, 03:12:11 pm »

But I can certainly see the appeal if you're not a twig like me, and have the commitment/money to spend on the kit. You do have to be fairly serious to get into BotN, though. If you look at the roster for the American team, the 5'8" guys look really out of place among the 6'5"s and 6'6"s. I think the general Armoured Combat League is more accessible, and only marginally less awesome.

This sounds like fun but I barely break 5'3" ._.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122127 on: February 17, 2014, 03:38:48 pm »

POWER.   SWEET, WARM, BRIGHT, POWER!
I CAN INTERNET AGAIN!
Unfortunately the school district also has power, so I have that starting up tomorrow, but I'll take what I can get.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122128 on: February 17, 2014, 03:55:49 pm »

But I can certainly see the appeal if you're not a twig like me, and have the commitment/money to spend on the kit. You do have to be fairly serious to get into BotN, though. If you look at the roster for the American team, the 5'8" guys look really out of place among the 6'5"s and 6'6"s. I think the general Armoured Combat League is more accessible, and only marginally less awesome.

This sounds like fun but I barely break 5'3" ._.

Stab 'em in the shins!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #122129 on: February 17, 2014, 04:17:00 pm »

To keep it on topic, let's all be happy that we can have this conversation while it's still academic.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 8140 8141 [8142] 8143 8144 ... 13325