Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8027 8028 [8029] 8030 8031 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15756993 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ] WHY ARE WE YELLING? (Happy thread...?)
« Reply #120420 on: January 28, 2014, 01:24:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SNUGGLES!!!!!!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #120421 on: January 28, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »

SNUGGLES!!!!!!
Trust fall!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120422 on: January 28, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »

Short story even shorter (Why can't I make it longer? Nooooo). New vegas is still really fun, and there's so much mod content available now that I can literally just play the game for hours upon hours.

...Aaaaaaand we finally have the answer to how little Driver Nephi ended up as that little floating skull thing up there
* scriver points to avatar thingy
Love, scriver~

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #120423 on: January 28, 2014, 01:28:30 pm »

I always hated you boxcars
THE FUCK'VE YOU GOT AGAINS'T 'EM

Anyway, I found someone at school who I actually like, because she reminds me of myself quite a bit.

┐(・。・┐) ♪   

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120424 on: January 28, 2014, 01:33:04 pm »

So that's saying they'd become a carrier of HIV that holds it under control. Ok. Would they then still be infectious, though, if they're still carrying the virus present inside them? Basically everyone would have to take that vaccine or have a much greater risk of infection.

Also,  I can see that in places less trustful of vaccines - even in africa where they are seized and destroyed by muslim groups - the idea that these vaccines intentional give you (low-level controlled) HIV could be misunderstood by the intended recipients, and turned into further hatred against science and the West.
Virii have no metabolism, once the receptors are destroyed they can't heal or infect and reproduce. It remains inert completely.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #120425 on: January 28, 2014, 01:34:00 pm »

So that's saying they'd become a carrier of HIV that holds it under control. Ok. Would they then still be infectious, though, if they're still carrying the virus present inside them? Basically everyone would have to take that vaccine or have a much greater risk of infection.

Also,  I can see that in places less trustful of vaccines - even in africa where they are seized and destroyed by muslim groups - the idea that these vaccines intentional give you (low-level controlled) HIV could be misunderstood by the intended recipients, and turned into further hatred against science and the West.

The page seems to indicate you don't give anyone the virus itself - the part that is used is the part of the virus that immune system cells recognize.

So, basically, instead of having to kidnap humans off the street to make a shooting range, you just give the shooters cardboard silhouettes to learn how to shoot on.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think it might be that HIV in dormancy cannot be transmitted. The way the dormancy works, the virus stops being what a layman would recognize as one - a weirdly-shaped protein capsid with DNA inside - and instead, it integrates the viral DNA with host DNA.

So, while a sick person with non-dormant HIV have virions floating around in their blood, dormant ones have those integreted their DNA with white blood cells' DNA, and other people white blood cells in your bloodstreams generally meet the response along the lines of this:

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #120426 on: January 28, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »

Anyway, I found someone at school who I actually like, because she reminds me of myself quite a bit.

┐(・。・┐) ♪   

That's great!

E: btw this is amazing too
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:40:04 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120427 on: January 28, 2014, 01:44:59 pm »

Rereading it, yeah, its seems like i misunderstood slightly. If it actually works, that's really cool. Maybe one day we'll eliminate AIDS as an active disease.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120428 on: January 28, 2014, 01:50:41 pm »

D'awww, rabbits!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120429 on: January 28, 2014, 01:54:14 pm »

Rereading it, yeah, its seems like i misunderstood slightly. If it actually works, that's really cool. Maybe one day we'll eliminate AIDS as an active disease.

We could pretty much do it now if we made a concerted effort.  HIV doesn't transmit if a person is on drugs that work for him.  If we just worked hard to make sure that we:

a) Get everybody tested for HIV on a regular basis.
b) Make sure everybody who has HIV is treated properly.

Then HIV would pretty much be gone in a generation or two.  Not likely to happen though, it would require cheaper drugs and ridiculous amounts of organization.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:01:12 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120430 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:54 pm »

We could pretty much do it now if we made a concerted effort.  HIV doesn't transmit if a person is on drugs that work for him.  If we just worked hard to make sure that we:

a) Get everybody tested for HIV on a regular basis.
b) Make sure everybody who has HIV is treated properly.

Then HIV would pretty much be gone in a generation or two.  Not likely to happen though, it would require cheaper drugs and ridiculous amounts of organization.
Not really. The drugs aren't perfect, are really expensive, and have plenty of side-effects. Additionally, there are significant problems with virii evolving to be resistant, so despite rapid switches between different medicine, effectiveness is not guaranteed. Realy, immunity is not a chance, it's a matter of time, thanks to the rapid adaptability of the virus. And then there's the people for which is just doesn't work.

Also, the medication mostly counters the effects of the virus. In the majority of the cases, it remains transmittable.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:09:14 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120431 on: January 28, 2014, 02:08:59 pm »

http://www.cfenet.ubc.ca/news/in-the-news/hiv-treatment-could-reduce-rate-new-infections

Most places don't really have the infrastructure for this that BC does though. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:11:23 pm by Levi »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #120432 on: January 28, 2014, 02:15:29 pm »

Point is, even if you have identified everyone with HIV, you need to ensure that they all follow the rather expensive regime*, and somehow convince them that they're still an infection vector.

*And do it properly, otherwise, you'll end up with baseline super-resistant aids.  In the UK, there is 11.8% medium to high-level resistance at baseline to the combination of efavirenz + zidovudine + lamivudine, and 6.4% medium to high level resistance to stavudine + lamivudine + nevirapine. This number is only going to rise over time.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120433 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »

Yeah, patient adherence is pretty much impossible to guarantee. 

In BC we've actually been seeing less and less resistance at baseline.  We've thrown a lot of money at the problem though.

Edit:  As for resistance, its not strictly a one way street.  Most of the mutations that make HIV resistant to drugs also make it a less fit virus.  When the drug pressure is removed it has a tendency to revert back to non-resistant.  A tiny bit of the drug-resistant virus remains in the patient(and will reappear quickly if the drug is used again), but its often not transmitted as the bulk of the virus is the non-resistant version.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:24:37 pm by Levi »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #120434 on: January 28, 2014, 03:25:51 pm »

Basically, you have to switch up the drugs like rotating phaser frequencies when fighting the Borg.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 8027 8028 [8029] 8030 8031 ... 13325