Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7912 7913 [7914] 7915 7916 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762487 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: [(•ω•)] U wot m8 (happy thread?!)
« Reply #118695 on: December 30, 2013, 05:06:16 pm »

A 680HD Tarrasque Lich sounds infinity more powerful than 680 Zombies :v

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #118696 on: December 30, 2013, 05:08:08 pm »

Pft, at lvl 20 a good leader in charge of a Kingdom can attract tens of thousands of lvl1 commoners to his cause. A tarrasque lich on the other hand...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118697 on: December 30, 2013, 05:17:34 pm »

Pft, at lvl 20 a good leader in charge of a Kingdom can attract tens of thousands of lvl1 commoners to his cause.

I can almost hear the thousands of ineffectual *whiffs* as their crudely made pitchforks glance off of their enemy's masterworked mithril armour now.

For some reason all the peasants in one of my DM's games are not to be messed with. He makes all of them uber death machines just to deter us from bugging them. The last one we messed with was apparently an epic-level monk. He rolled a strength roll and succeeded at lifting an entire barn off of its foundation and throwing it at us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118698 on: December 30, 2013, 05:19:55 pm »

Not just a Tarrasque Lich.

A Half Dragon, Half Celestial, Half Fiend, Fiendish, Dire, Awakened Tarrasque Demilich Vampire Lord Werewolf Lord. At the VERY LEAST. With 20 levels in Wizard, Sorceror, Cleric, Druid (That's all four Tier 1 classes. ONE of those classes at level 15 can BREAK THE GAME.) Psion, Dread Necromancer (For another 680 HD Tarrasque Swiss-Army-Knife Demilich) and more.

Then again, if your DM lets you find and command an undead creature that badass, something is either terribly wrong, or amazingly right.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #118699 on: December 30, 2013, 05:22:26 pm »

I can almost hear the thousands of ineffectual *whiffs* as their crudely made pitchforks glance off of their enemy's masterworked mithril armour now.
Suffocate the enemy under the crushing weight of bodies then. Armour won't save you from that.

For some reason all the peasants in one of my DM's games are not to be messed with. He makes all of them uber death machines just to deter us from bugging them. The last one we messed with was apparently an epic-level monk. He rolled a strength roll and succeeded at lifting an entire barn off of its foundation and throwing it at us.
The way I see it, murderhoboing isn't that profitable in the long term. Every enemy you make gives the DM one more tool to kill you with, each one more powerful than the last.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #118700 on: December 30, 2013, 05:40:23 pm »

How many undead mooks could you summon that all know Finger of Death?

I went thrifting today with friends and found myself two really nice London Fog trenchcoats. That brings my trenchcoat total to five. One will need dry cleaning, which is a bit of a bummer, and I'm lacking the elusive fine leather trenchcoat, but my greatcoat collection is looking very rounded out now. Eee!

I'm still looking for a Badass Longcoat, but for now, London Fog is close enough.

I approve of your quest. Like I said earlier today, I have received a leather one today myself.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #118701 on: December 30, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »

Pft, at lvl 20 a good leader in charge of a Kingdom can attract tens of thousands of lvl1 commoners to his cause.

If the necromancer can afford masterwork mithril armor, why can't the king guy afford stuff for his peasants to use?

Also, it just illustrates why they should have used CR instead of HD, and why CR should be overhauled to account for high-level levels being worth more than lower-level levels.

For example, let's say Level 1 Fighter is worth 10 points. We can probably agree that Level 2 is also worth 10 points. But Level 4 gives  Weapon Specialization, which is a better opportunity than he had at level 1-3.

The difference is clearer with spellcasters. Going from level 1 to level 2 gives you what, an extra 1st level spell per day? Going from level 11 to 12 gives you access to a 6th level spell and a few other spells in the lower levels. It also gives a feat and a stat boost, and improves the effectiveness of many other spells that day. That 12th level should be worth a whole lot more than the 2nd level.

This would probably mean your army could be
680 1 HD skeletons, or
300 2 HD zombies, or
180 3 HD, or
120 4 HD, or
etc.
Until you'd get up to 20 HD which, if you chose it, you could have only 4 or 5 servants.

Make a common-sense comparison: which is better, 4 incorporeal and/or spellcasting 20 HD undead, or 680 corporeal nonspellcasting unintelligent undead? I expect just one of those 20 HD liches could destroy the skeletons without taking a scratch if prepared, and if unprepared would almost certainly survive to flee a little ways and spend 5 rounds preparing to obliterate them.

Which is to say, even my estimate (of -10% total HD iterated once per additional HD, then divided by the HD to get a number of troops) is still very generous.

680 1st level monsters = 34 20th level monsters is just stupid.

I think for a well-optimized character in a balanced group that works well together, you could argue for doubling of 1 HD equivalent per level. That would mean a 6th level PC is equal to 32 1 HD monsters, meaning the PC will win half the time or lose half the time. I can see a party of five 6th level PCs taking on 150 1st level monsters ... as long as they didn't flub it, because I could also see those monsters killing the whole party.

That progression results in one 20 HD = about 500,000 of the 1 HD monsters.

Again, remember we're talking about a live situation where the player has experience with his character, has a bunch of good magic items, etc. He will either have time to plan how he will assault the army, or else he can magically flee before he dies and then have time to make a plan. I do not doubt that a 20th level Wizard is totally able to take on that army, whether by mass-charming them and forcing them to turn on each other and then mopping up the dregs, or blasting the army and hunting down the scattered groups, or somehow seizing control of the leader and sending them into disastrous campaigns. Heck, if he can get them to march through a desert they're screwed.

I could also see a Fighter with Supreme Cleave hopping along the army's lines bopping them on the head, hitting on natural 1s, slaying the entire army in one round. No need to even roll; mathematically he cannot fail to kill them all unless they scatter into the glades and hollows, which just prolongs their deaths until one round per group and makes it impossible for them to bring their forces to bear against him.

TL;DR: A DM should say no to your idea of having dozens of Tarrasques and liches at level 20. A good DM would give interesting alternatives and let you have one or two instead of three dozen.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #118702 on: December 30, 2013, 06:03:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118703 on: December 30, 2013, 06:04:50 pm »

0/10 israel not hypercube artist needs to commit ritual suicide

i am the most of snob

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #118704 on: December 30, 2013, 06:06:13 pm »

i am never understanding this meme you used but my best is trying hard (please give info help)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118705 on: December 30, 2013, 06:09:25 pm »

-snip-

I wasn't saying it made sense or was practical or would EVER be allowed. (Fun fact: My necromancer isn't going to have undead with him. Like, he will command them if he finds them, but he's more of a hands on guy himself.) I was saying, if you could directly translate that HD without worrying about silly things like 'sense', 'game balance' or 'what was intended', then you could end up with some absolutely ridiculous bullshit. Just like how a Wizard can utterly rape game balance at will from pretty much level 10 onwards, but generally does not because that isn't fun, it usually involves pedantic asshattery over RAW, and it should be vetoed by a competent GM.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118706 on: December 30, 2013, 06:15:13 pm »

i am never understanding this meme you used but my best is trying hard (please give info help)

i'm completely serious and putting my words in a sentence that's just a string of sentence pieces not exactly connected to each other so it doesn't sound as it should

you could give me a fucking watercolor painting (which is quite bad in itself, countryballs prefer function over form and were meant to be drawn by nerdlords who never touched mspaint before) but if you fuck up on the basics like poland's flag, kazakhstan being a brick (or israel a hypercube, singapore a triangle which i could run off into a tirade unto itself...), or balls refering to each other with the ball, brick, etc. suffix i will torch your shit. there are also a few minor things like the fact that syntax is not supposed to be correct in most cases and there are supposed to be a few grammar constructs thrown in for little to no reason, et cetera, et cetera

art has standards, people. and that is why i am the most of snob. because holy shit am i not
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:18:55 pm by LordSlowpoke »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #118707 on: December 30, 2013, 06:27:14 pm »

LordSlowPoke i am of the sorriest nature, because i was thinking that your post had utility of a meme, and i had seen some things of relation to that meme - examples you could say - elsewhere, and they were much similar to your post in tenor very much
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #118708 on: December 30, 2013, 09:40:36 pm »

2 words: peasant railgun.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #118709 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:26 pm »

2 words: peasant railgun.

More than 2 words: Commoners get Profession. Profession makes money. Have all of them give you money, beyond taxes, to hire mercenaries and buy artifacts. Ignore normal rules of economics, Profession is a game mechanic.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 7912 7913 [7914] 7915 7916 ... 13325