Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7836 7837 [7838] 7839 7840 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15767238 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [(•ω•)] Everyone shut up and go play starbound (happy thread?!)
« Reply #117555 on: December 07, 2013, 01:50:55 am »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117556 on: December 07, 2013, 02:06:25 am »

To be fair, a lot of that was built by Moria's non-dwarfish inhabitants.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #117557 on: December 07, 2013, 02:09:12 am »

That looks to me, eyeballed, about 150 leagues across? That's what, 450 miles? That makes most of the smaller rooms about a mile wide?

Fantasy map drawers have no sense of scale.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117558 on: December 07, 2013, 02:11:33 am »

That looks to me, eyeballed, about 150 leagues across? That's what, 450 miles? That makes most of the smaller rooms about a mile wide?

Dwarves in Moria are very fast walkers and can cover a mile in the time most of us cover 10 meters.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #117559 on: December 07, 2013, 02:21:16 am »

Yeah, pretty much. I got just under 140 leagues. Compared to the width of the mountains on the official map of Middle Earth, which has the entryway labeled, you can tell that there's a pretty big discrepancy between the scales on the maps. About 2 orders of magnitude. Dat Dwarven geometry.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #117560 on: December 07, 2013, 02:23:27 am »

SAT over. Now just to wait for the hopefully good results in fourteenish days.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117561 on: December 07, 2013, 02:23:53 am »

Moria is what happens when a Dwarf Fortress never succumbs to FPS death. It transcends the physical boundaries of the mountain. Every room is an interdimensional pocket carved into the very fabric of the universe by the nigh-omnipotent beard of a Legendary (+arbitrarily high number) Miner. The carvings have carvings of carvings about carvings with carvings of carvings on them. The mining tunnels extend into realms of impossibility where unreal elements exist. Adamantine. Mithril. Orichalcum. They take these... Unearthly materials and form items of incredible power. A chain shirt that can stop a spear thrust from a eighteen foot tall troll with enough strength to topple a tree. And where, per chance, did Sauron get the materials for the Rings?

And why... WHY IN THE FUCK WAS DURIN WRITING IN HIS GODDAMN JOURNAL WHILE THE ORCS SWARMED AFTER THE LAST FEW DWARFS?! WHY WEREN'T THEY RUNNING OR BARRICADING THINGS OR SOMETHING?! Because of a tantrum spiral.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117562 on: December 07, 2013, 02:32:41 am »

Duh. Because Durin was the Overseer in a very long-running succession game. Obviously.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #117563 on: December 07, 2013, 06:33:12 am »

I have come to the decision that there is no better feeling than that one you get in your chest when you can't stop thinking of that one person.
I never thought I would post something sappy like this in my life.
I feel the same~
(Now to find some balls and ask her out)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117564 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40:10 am »

If I had to guess, those are not so much rooms as courtyards. The rooms are too small to see on that scale.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #117565 on: December 07, 2013, 08:51:31 am »

If I had to guess, those are not so much rooms as courtyards. The rooms are too small to see on that scale.
Is it possible the artist mistook leagues as just a fancy term for feet or maybe yards?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #117566 on: December 07, 2013, 09:03:02 am »

Is it possible the artist mistook leagues as just a fancy term for feet or maybe yards?
The artist rightly understood that Dwarfs don't have yards. What use is a yard for a proper self-respecting Dwarf?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117567 on: December 07, 2013, 09:33:41 am »

I think I may have found the best picture ever.

BEHOLD.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #117568 on: December 07, 2013, 09:35:09 am »

BEHOLD.
Still doesn't beat this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: No, scratch that. The best picture ever is this:

A Ginger Neckbeard Jihadist! How is that not the best thing ever xD?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:41:51 am by Dutchling »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #117569 on: December 07, 2013, 09:41:35 am »

BEHOLD.
Still doesn't beat this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where's that batman picture from? I see it everywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 7836 7837 [7838] 7839 7840 ... 13325