Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7818 7819 [7820] 7821 7822 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15774014 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

I read the first book and watched the movie when I was ~12 and I loved both.

A afew years later I read the second (and maybe third?) book as well. The entire magic system ruined it for me. It was so bad o.O

edit: comment on an Amazon review on John Green's book ("The book is too sad :< 1/5")
I'm not being racist but you probably should've researched the book a bit if you don't like sad books about cancer.

Eh, I actually kinda liked the magic system. At least it wasn't the Standard Fantasy Magic D&D Ripoff.
Magic system was the coolest part! Like a programming language, with conservation of energy - name one other magic system in which you can finance a war by magically manufacturing lace!
What kind of bugged me was how it dragged on to the ass-pull ending - "Oh yeah, have a huge power supply, and then just win." That could've been done better.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Cool? It was horrible Dx

>tries casting a spell
>"lol you're vegetarian now"
>can I please cast a spell now ;_;?
>"lolnope, enemy caster will give you a stroke"
>but I want to be useful D:
>"that's what your dragon is for you moron"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:48:21 am by Dutchling »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Hey, you're misrepresenting: Becoming vegetarian was a choice (I think he later starts eating meat again), and "enemy caster gives you a stroke" is a logical consequence from the mechanics - and something that can be warded off.
The main thing I like is how predictable that system is: There's pretty clear lines of what you can and can't do, all those things don't conflict with each other, and you're not limited by a given set of spells or whatever. It's like engineering, but magic!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:57:11 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Hey, youre misrepresenting: Becoming vegetarian was a choice (I think he later starts eating meat again), and "enemy caster gives you a stroke" is a logical consequence from the mechanics - and something that can be warded off.
The main thing I like is how predictable that system is: There's pretty clear lines of what you can and can't do, all those things don't conflict with each other, and you're not limited by a given set of spells or whatever. It's like engineering, but magic!
Imagine how powerful the lawyers would be.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Hey, youre misrepresenting: Becoming vegetarian was a choice (I think he later starts eating meat again), and "enemy caster gives you a stroke" is a logical consequence from the mechanics - and something that can be warded off.
You're just increasing the length of the List of Reasons why Eragon's Magic System is Lame(R) :P

also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(amazningly stupid things make me happy, okay >.>)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:18:42 am by Dutchling »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

You're just increasing the length of the List of Reasons why Eragon's Magic System is Lame(R) :P

also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(amazningly stupid things make me happy, okay >.>)

That reminds me of the Dirty Fork sketch...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

I'm more than halfway through 'to the moon' (Bigtime feels game. Should be a movie, but that could ruin some of the feels.)
Loving it so far. Have to take it in small doses. Haven't had to do that for a game since Amnesia.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site

I'm more than halfway through 'to the moon' (Bigtime feels game. Should be a movie, but that could ruin some of the feels.)
Loving it so far. Have to take it in small doses. Haven't had to do that for a game since Amnesia.

Noooo! You need to play it through in one sitting! You need the feels to wash over you like a tidal wave, to have them slap you silly, you need to become the feels.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

You'll get more feels than a horny teenager alone with an anatomically-correct CPR dummy!

I get the horrible feeling this is an anecdote of yours.

yes this is a joke
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... yeah, I hear that. There's a surprisingly detailed mermaid statue at a chinese buffet joint near here. I keep watching people as they go by when I'm there, and it seems surprisingly unnoticed. I guess statuary is somehow ignorable to the local population?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

... yeah, I hear that. There's a surprisingly detailed mermaid statue at a chinese buffet joint near here. I keep watching people as they go by when I'm there, and it seems surprisingly unnoticed. I guess statuary is somehow ignorable to the local population?

Maybe they are trying to ignore what OTHER people do with the statue?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

If e was emotion instead of energy, I'd be breaking a ratio of conservation somewhere.

Emotion equals media-content squared?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

You'll get more feels than a horny teenager alone with an anatomically-correct CPR dummy!
Wat.

Funny story, slightly horrifying, but when I was being trained in CPR and First Aid, we weren't allowed to go anywhere near the dummies. We had to use special CPR hand pumps instead.

When asked for an explanation, we were told that the last person who had gotten to use a dummy had stolen it, and had been pretending it was his girlfriend for about two weeks before anyone found out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Reminds me of drinking a 2 liter of Super Jolt back in college.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 7818 7819 [7820] 7821 7822 ... 13325