Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7803 7804 [7805] 7806 7807 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15784557 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good lord.  La Mulana.

I've beaten one boss and now I have another two lined up... I've never wished so hard to just be playing a normal platformer in my life, but I'm having sooooo much fun >_<
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: [⌐╦╦═] Gundere forever! (Happy thread) Your TITLE IS TOO LONG!
« Reply #117061 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:56 pm »

I've been aboard the USS Alabama before. It's a floating museum also. Its a little hard to understand how big 16 inch guns are until you're looking at one. We're talking a man made machine that could completely denude a fair sized island of all life above the microbial level within about an hour. And that's a museum piece. Humanity is pretty neat, even when we're being horrifying.

I think everyone who wants to have an opinion, good or ill, about warfare should visit the USS Alabama, because nothing else I've seen has really made clear the scale of what a war can be like that behemoth.  Just walking up to the thing doesn't even do it justice, not like going inside and seeing the bowels of the thing.

Meeting rooms big enough to rollerskate in, a whole floor of man-operated firing computers, a hundred anti-aircraft guns that chuck bullets the size of sausages as fast as you can load them, whole towers from turret to keel full of those massive 16-inch shells, a complete dinning hall with fine silver and tapestries for the officers, a trainyard's worth of engines, and a kitchen as big as a house with soup pots you can climb into.

I walked around thinking, this is a castle that floats.  Bigger than a castle, let alone far more dangerous.  Then you find out it was just one of the four biggest built by one country, nevermind the hundred others of comparable class built in that age.  And the only reason they were just that big was because of arms treaties made in a futile attempt to keep a world's worth of navies from being thrown at each other.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

An aircraft carrier such as the USS Nimitz carries 10,000 people. Ten. Thousand. I live in a county that probably only has five times that.

This is a ship that carries the population of a small city, all their efforts directed to one action: Ending life. Ten thousand people aboard a massive mausoleum of war. Absolutely horrifying. Absolutely awe-inspiring.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

An aircraft carrier such as the USS Nimitz carries 10,000 people. Ten. Thousand. I live in a county that probably only has five times that.
Oh, county. I thought it said "country" and was like "Damn, that's a small-ass country".
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Oh, county. I thought it said "country" and was like "Damn, that's a small-ass country".
He could live in Svalbard.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I live in the Etats Unis. :P Except I couldn't find the big E with the accent, so screw it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

He could live in Svalbard.
Wikipedia says that's between the Faroe Islands and Northern Marianas (but then, neither of those are countries).

The closest independent state is Saint Kitts and Nevis.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I live in the Etats Unis. :P Except I couldn't find the big E with the accent, so screw it.
Until I realized that you were using Latin(?), I thought you spelled something backwards and was trying to figure out what Sinu State was :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

Until I realized that you were using Latin(?), I thought you spelled something backwards and was trying to figure out what Sinu State was :P
*French

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Wouldn't it be la Etats Unis?
There is an old WWII aircraft carrier in a city that is somewhat nearby.   Every time we go there I demand to see it.  It feels both tiny and giant at the same time.
Let's not forget ballistic missile submarines.  Doesn't seem that big compared to a super-carrier, but is powered by splitting the atom, and can destroy entire countries in moments.   
On the peaceful side, humanity can throw itself off a rock by riding in a piece of metal sitting on top of a fuckton of explosives. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⌐╦╦═] Gundere forever! (Happy thread) You.
« Reply #117070 on: November 30, 2013, 12:03:05 am »

*French

French. And I forgot the - in between them, I believe.

Wouldn't it be la Etats Unis?
There is an old WWII aircraft carrier in a city that is somewhat nearby.   Every time we go there I demand to see it.  It feels both tiny and giant at the same time.
Let's not forget ballistic missile submarines.  Doesn't seem that big compared to a super-carrier, but is powered by splitting the atom, and can destroy entire countries in moments.   
On the peaceful side, humanity can throw itself off a rock by riding in a piece of metal sitting on top of a fuckton of explosives. 

Yes it would. And yes, that's sort of what I was driving at. Humans have done some pretty fucking awesome stuff. Annihilating an entire continent within thirty minutes? Completely within the ability of modern humanity. Leaving the orbit of our planet, something no other organism that we are aware of is capable of doing deliberately? Completely within the ability of modern humanity.

What is our weakness? Pointy sticks, micro-organisms, water, air, fire, gravity, and our own bodies.
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

...I know it's been quite a few years since my French classes, but I really should have known that  :-[
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117072 on: November 30, 2013, 12:11:12 am »

You did, but it doesn't really matter.

The way my French teacher taught me it was to put a Z sound in front of it, so it sounded like "Zay-Ta Zu-Nee"
Not sure why.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117073 on: November 30, 2013, 12:22:54 am »

You did, but it doesn't really matter.

The way my French teacher taught me it was to put a Z sound in front of it, so it sounded like "Zay-Ta Zu-Nee"
Not sure why.

Because!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Today, I had a random encounter at work. Three folks in their 60s: a self-professed know nothing, a mediator who knew a little, and a techno-snob from the 80s who hated anything "newfangled" and called his desktop a mainframe. I lol'd.

Snob immediately jumps on a $250 computer, says it's enough for newb, and is ready to leave. Mediator expresses doubts about machine's longevity, which I confirm. Even the newb won't grow much in such a cheapie. They bicker for the next hour, I'm interrupted several times, and newb sits on the floor, ready to give up. I find out that the newb recently lost her husband and is completely starting from scratch. I double down on my commitment to this group. Get interrupted by a geek squad agent with a fairly advanced technical question. Mainframe man jumps on the question, which gets rebuffed by the agent with a "We haven't used that in 15 years. I explain that the old way is still valid, but extremely slow, and give a modern alternative. Mainframe man begins to sulk. I proceed to give another hour to these people, giving a basic tutorial on touchscreens and Win8. Mainframe man is pissed because he can't help newb with the new computer, and attempts to tell me off for being a blowhard. I explain my rep experience. Instant nerd cred. Give more tutorials. Let mainframe man answer softball questions from newb. They wind up spending about $3k, all in all, which is about 10x my normal hourly goal. Geek squad now wants me on their team. I'm overqualified. I lol'd.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 7803 7804 [7805] 7806 7807 ... 13325