Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7780 7781 [7782] 7783 7784 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15792148 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

This. Here's a summary of Art of War:
Don't be an idiot.

Except for the part that tells you exactly how many pounds of silver it will take to feed and move an army of a specific size.
... Which doesn't have much historical relevance.

But I'd like to put in my opinion here, that I have never considered myself an idiot and yet never knew the perfect way in which to burn an enemy encampment, why it is a bad idea to be in a protracted siege and how to co-ordinate spies and scouts. So I, personally, found many parts rather enlightening, although to be fair the closest I've ever come to a military engagement was the Total War games.
Well, yes, but you can figure those things out if you give a mere 10 minutes of thought to them. And if you're a military commander in charge of peoples' lives, you would be an idiot not to spend that requisite time doing so.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Oh man, the way the music stops.

Also: I don't care if my casuel skyrem is lore-friendly or not :I I only care about lore in my Lorebl[iv]ion and my Morrowang.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

The site which was hosting my avatar went down.
So rather than trying to find it again I did what any other sensible person would.
And so it begins..

Welcome to the club of dapper gentlemen and women!
The club for propper Sirs and Madames alike.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:12:53 am by Ultimuh »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i would not even know how to manipulate my current av so the isometric top hat doesn't look terrible

another fad i'll be having to skip i guess

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

I approve of this new fad, even though I won't be participating myself because I can't do dapper.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Do you even know how many hats I'd have to put on this thing? It's dapper enough in my opinion.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Well, yes, but you can figure those things out if you give a mere 10 minutes of thought to them. And if you're a military commander in charge of peoples' lives, you would be an idiot not to spend that requisite time doing so.
And yet it's amazing just how many and how often people disregard any and all of it, to their detriment. Beyond that, some times you don't have ten minutes to make a decision. Having internalized a set of maxims (be it from the Art of War or otherwise) that will more likely than not at least lead to a less disastrous outcome... it can help.

Beyond that, we still live in an age when "Where abstract thought doesn't exist, and learning is done by experience." is a truism for a great many people, including those in power. Many -- most, most likely -- people are never taught particularly involved degrees of abstract thought, and never stumble upon it naturally or only do so (much) later in life. For them, a "Don't be an idiot" guide is... pretty damn useful, and for many more people it's useful before they actually know enough to stop being an idiot (I.e. young and stupid). I've met quite a solid handful of folks that have been forced to read Tzu's work in depth and came out better people, by their own admission. Because, y'know. Lotta' people tend not to think until prodded, but once prod, cannot be unprod.

Point being the Art of War, along with a number of other military guides of such nature, should honestly probably be required reading in, say... middle school, maybe late elementary? And then again in mid-late high school, and likely again in early college. Especially if used in contrast or support of more peace-related texts, probably part of a general critical thought regimen. I've... met more than a few folks it probably would have helped. Likely would have been a bit better off m'self if I'd been in something like that when I was younger.

Plus, damn. Who wouldn't want a week dedicated to what the proper point to set things on fire is? S'shit like that that's how you catch the attention of youngin's :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I could stick some hats on The Legate, Caeser, and Joshua, but I'm not feeling it :P

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Awww yiss! Sir Reginald Pikedevant, Esquire has released a new video simply because his work was mistaken for Profressor Elemental / Mr.B

* Haspen has to remember to shove this down Vorthon's throat, simply so he can rhymingly gloat.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Awww yiss! Sir Reginald Pikedevant, Esquire has released a new video simply because his work was mistaken for Profressor Elemental / Mr.B

Personal title updated.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know 'dapper' was the new thing.

I literally just found my previous Aqizzar shadesperiments (Yaaay! Been looking on and off for years), and decided to use Gentleben for a while.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 7780 7781 [7782] 7783 7784 ... 13325