Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7666 7667 [7668] 7669 7670 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15773508 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #115005 on: October 25, 2013, 03:09:15 pm »

That Monty Hall thing reminded me of something.

I never really understood it until someone on Reddit put it this way:

You have a 1/3 chance of choosing the car first thing. When he opens the door to reveal a goat, well, that doesn't change the fact that you've still only got a 1/3 chance of having chosen the right door, so switching gives you a 2/3 chance of winning.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:21:41 pm by Putnam »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #115006 on: October 25, 2013, 03:12:55 pm »

That Monty Hall thing reminded me of something.

I never really understood it until someone on Reddit put it this way:

You have a 1/3 chance of choosing the car first thing. When he opens the door to reveal a goat, well, that doesn't change the fact that you've still only got a 1/3 chance of choosing the right door, so switching gives you a 2/3 chance of winning.
Basically. You still are stuck with the "probably not a winner" choice, while someone who started off would have a 1/2 chance.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115007 on: October 25, 2013, 03:34:01 pm »

My cakeday is tomorrow (won't be online, since I'll be out having a wonderful weekend with my GF).

Normally, I wouldn't be thrilled to see another cakeday since it just marks the inexorable passage of time and the inevitable approach of mortality.
But the way things have been going lately, can't help but be happy about it.
Everything's coming up RedKing!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #115008 on: October 25, 2013, 04:36:46 pm »

Yay, my fingertips finally form growths composed of dead, solidified cells!

I realize how weird it sounds to be happy due to that, but it took me way, way too long to develop proper calluses.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115009 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »

My cakeday is tomorrow (won't be online, since I'll be out having a wonderful weekend with my GF).

Normally, I wouldn't be thrilled to see another cakeday since it just marks the inexorable passage of time and the inevitable approach of mortality.
But the way things have been going lately, can't help but be happy about it.
Everything's coming up RedKing!

I have a cake. I will be unable to deliver it to you but i will eat it in your place.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115010 on: October 25, 2013, 07:09:14 pm »

Beer is absolutely horrid and I don't know why anyone drinks it. I went to a nearby grocery store and picked out six randoms from their "build a sampler" section anyway because I like trying new things. As predicted, the Guinness I tried first was exactly as bad as I remember.

The hard cider, though... I think I'll have to pick up some more of that (hence happy thread, for finding something I like).

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #115011 on: October 25, 2013, 07:49:30 pm »

While reading through TVTropes' series of DW epsiode recaps, I came across this gem in Arc of Infinity:

Quote from: Some Guy on TVTropes
  • It's All About Me: Maxil is positively bored with the Doctor, and spends much of his screentime looking mildly offended or checking his nails. John Nathan Turner actually asked Colin Baker to tone it down, because the show was called Doctor Who and not Commander Maxil. Baker replied that no person would ever consider themselves a minor character in someone else's life, and so he played Maxil as someone convinced he was the main character of the story. Of course, Baker soon would become the main character, making the whole thing quite Hilarious in Hindsight.
I really like Baker's response :D .
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115012 on: October 25, 2013, 08:48:48 pm »

Today was a good day.

I went to a football game, and our shitty team actually won!
While there, I hung out with a couple of guys I hadn't talked to in a while.
I also got the courage to sit next to a girl friend who I hadn't talked to in forever, and I think that went rather well.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115013 on: October 25, 2013, 08:58:56 pm »

Went to a club yesterday.
It's common knowledge that there are no good clubs in my town.

That common knowledge is fase!
Music was good, drinks were expensive but not ridiculously so, you could go close to the entrance (up some stairs) where air got in to cool off without leaving the club, the bouncers weren't assholes, the interior's nice, etc etc.
And it's called "Das Sofa" - translates as "The Couch".

The only slight WTF was that there were at least two statues of the Virgin Mary in there. Meh, they looked nice~

Sounds nice! How are your moves? ;) 
Haven't been to a club in ages, due to a lack of anyone to go with. The last time I did was awesome, though. Another happy: I'll possibly be going to visit my club-hopping best friend two states away again next month. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #115014 on: October 25, 2013, 09:07:16 pm »

They found a galaxy 30,000,000,000 light years away. 30 billion. We're seeing it as it was 13.1 billion years ago. Oh man!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115015 on: October 25, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »

They found a galaxy 30,000,000,000 light years away. 30 billion. We're seeing it as it was 13.1 billion years ago. Oh man!
Link please? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115017 on: October 25, 2013, 09:40:34 pm »

If it was 13.1 billion light years away, it'd mean we haven't moved relative to them at all in 13.1 billion years. We've moved apart, to the point that they're about 2.3 light years further away for every year that light has traveled.

That light left 13.1 billion years ago. NOW it's 30b light years away, but back then it was 13.1 light years away. (I THINK)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115018 on: October 25, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »

Something about it still doesn't make sense to me. If the universe is only about 14 billion years old and it is 30 billion light years away, wouldn't the distance between us and it have to be increasing faster than the speed of light?

I'm somewhat exhausted from work, so maybe I'm just missing something here...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115019 on: October 25, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »

Sounds nice! How are your moves? ;)
Terrible, due to the fact that I seldom go clubbing. I'm more of a bar fly ;)
That lack of people seems to have something to do with it too, though - I believe there's a significant chunk of my semester that goes clubbing at least occasionally, but my circle of friends and acquaintances hardly overlaps with them. This time I went with a Sinology student who I met a year ago through a friend from school!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 7666 7667 [7668] 7669 7670 ... 13325