Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7580 7581 [7582] 7583 7584 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15756154 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #113715 on: September 29, 2013, 11:34:51 am »

If I do something amazing, I imagine the first twenty five years of my brain will be the most boring.

Most of it would either be staring at loading screens, anime, or schoolwork.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #113716 on: September 29, 2013, 11:46:37 am »

Holy shit when did this turn into the sad thread.

TIME FOR HAPPIES~
I went to a sort of party today and it was fun. Talked with a friend and spent a few euros playing a racing game (because somebody challenged me)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113717 on: September 29, 2013, 11:54:18 am »

Goddamnit this guy is good. I wish I had experienced Harry Potter like he did.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113718 on: September 29, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »

More or less, yes. I have no way to tell, and except the anthropic principle there's no real reason for me to be me, for me to see out of the eyes that I currently do, and not one of the other 100 billion humans who have ever lived.
Does this mean that all the rest of us are actually offshoots of this program? 

I've read about half of that.  And yes, yes he is good. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #113719 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:09 pm »

Yeah. I recommend looking at his blog on Avatar The Last Airbender after you finish the Harry Potter one.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113720 on: September 29, 2013, 12:11:20 pm »

@Thunderbird: From my perspective, yes that would be the implication. I have no way of knowing if you are a p-zombie or an actual consciousness with experiences.

Obviously, if you are an actual consciousness, you know for sure. But you have no way of giving me absolute proof of it, same as I have no way of proving that I am an actual consciousness.

It'd be like trying to describe colour to a blind man.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #113721 on: September 29, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »

@Thunderbird: From my perspective, yes that would be the implication. I have no way of knowing if you are a p-zombie or an actual consciousness with experiences.

Obviously, if you are an actual consciousness, you know for sure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie#Responses

Dennett argues that "when philosophers claim that zombies are conceivable, they invariably underestimate the task of conception (or imagination), and end up imagining something that violates their own definition".[3][4] He coined the term zimboes (p-zombies that have second-order beliefs) to argue that the idea of a p-zombie is incoherent;[11] "Zimboes thinkZ they are conscious, thinkZ they have qualia, thinkZ they suffer pains – they are just 'wrong' (according to this lamentable tradition), in ways that neither they nor we could ever discover!".[4] Under (reductive) physicalism, one is inclined to believe either that anyone including oneself might be a zombie, or that no one can be a zombie – following from the assertion that one's own conviction about being, or not being a zombie is (just) a product of the physical world and is therefore no different from anyone else's. P-zombies in an observed world would be indistinguishable from the observer, even hypothetically (when the observer makes no assumptions regarding the validity of their convictions). Furthermore, when concept of self is deemed to correspond to physical reality alone (reductive physicalism), philosophical zombies are denied by definition. When a distinction is made in one's mind between a hypothetical zombie and oneself (assumed not to be a zombie), the hypothetical zombie, being a subset of the concept of oneself, must entail a deficit in observables (cognitive systems), a "seductive error"[4] contradicting the original definition of a zombie
tldr; p-zeds is a silly conjecture

Now, if you wanted a smooth transition from meatspace to some other form of brain, the best method would be to integrate it into your existing brain, with sufficient capacity for capability to shift entirely into it. Over time, it would become as much a part of you as the meatspace brain, becoming the primary substrate as the brain slowly became less necessary [which is already how the brain works; new neurons are introduced and take over the job of aging/less useful ones; and it's also how the brain heals after injury].
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:31:03 pm by alway »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113722 on: September 29, 2013, 12:33:09 pm »

That's more or less the plan I was talking about.

But anyway, what I said was mostly unrelated to brain-uploading. Just saying I have no way of knowing  if you have a consciousness in the same manner I do, and vice versa, and no way to convince or even discuss it meaningfully because of the "can't describe colour without using colour" issue.

Edit: To clarify, saying P-Zombie was a poor choice.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:37:58 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #113723 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:39 pm »

...I wholly approve. By that, I mean I experienced it mostly like he did-without the swearing. xD

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113724 on: September 29, 2013, 01:25:36 pm »

My happy: I shall from now on insult people's political views as Necrotizing fasciitis.
(Warning, picture is a bit NSFW)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #113725 on: September 29, 2013, 01:26:06 pm »

"can't describe colour without using colour" issue.

Wavelength?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #113726 on: September 29, 2013, 01:27:45 pm »

Wavelength?

AFAIK colour is not a property of wavelengths. It's just how your brain interprets said wavelengths.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #113727 on: September 29, 2013, 01:29:16 pm »

Wavelength?

AFAIK colour is not a property of wavelengths. It's just how your brain interprets said wavelengths.

Advanced neuroscience, then?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113728 on: September 29, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »

You would probably do better explaining how everyone's perception of the universe is just an illusion based on the sensory information they receive; and so the blue you see is meaningless in any wider context than your own mental fabrication.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113729 on: September 29, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »

did i post this here yet

in other news i might have finally found a good, universal answer to "why the baked fucksticks should i wake up today"

i'm not telling you a thing though. get your own damn reasons
Pages: 1 ... 7580 7581 [7582] 7583 7584 ... 13325